• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6.5 Grendel Tactical, Hunting and Shooting rifle

weimjagd1

Private
Minuteman
May 6, 2009
Northern Illinois
I have a Les Baer M4 chambered in the 6.5 grendel on order. It comes standard with a 16" barrel and I will be topping it with a 4-16x56 Hensolt. I am sure I have plenty of time to make some adjustments on the gun. I would like to use this gun for hunting and long range shooting. Should I go with a longer barrel (say 20") for the increased velocity and energy (2480fps and 1680ft lbs with the 16" vs 2565 and 1797 with the 20") or are the differences negligible? With a 600yd zero the difference in drop at 1,000 yds in only 18" with the 123 grain scenar. I really don't wanna buy two different uppers I would rather find a good all around solution. My original idea was to keep this gun as light as possible, but now I wonder if the difference in weight would be negligible?
Also, any thoughts on the forward assist option would be apreciated.
Any info on the the correct barrel twist for this round would be greatly appreciated. I don't reload so I will probably end up using AA 123gr. lapua scenar mainly...but I did order a case of Les Baers black hills ammo also.
This is my first AR and I am wondering if it is foolish to try and build a "one gun does all" or not?
Thank you, I look forward to any useful advice.

Re: 6.5 Grendel Tactical, Hunting and Shooting rifle

Congrats on your purchase. Go to http://www.65grendel.com/ and you'll find lots of great info on Grendel. I think 16" barrel is too short for 1,000 yard shooting, but it will be effective in around 600-800 yards. It just doesn't have enough case capacity and you'll be better served with a 260 type cartridge. I wouldn't hunt with it past 300 yards on deer sized game with factory ammo, but shot placement is the key. Factory ammo is hard to come by and selection is limited.
I have an 18" ar and 20" mini 30 and I'm real happy with the performance of Grendel. I think its one of the better calibers in the AR-15 platform, but it has its limits. Not to say you can't hit steel at 1,000 yards with it, but there are better choices.
You'll be very happy w/Les Baer as their rifles are very accurate, but I would top it w/smaller scope to keep it light and handy and save the Hensolt for AR-10 or bolt gun in 260, 6.5 Creedmore or 308 to shoot long range.
Good luck

I wouldn't put a hubble telescope on a handy 16" AR.

Something along the lines of a 2-7 Leupold with M1 turrets will make it a handy 600 yard utility carbine.

Ballistics from the 16" bbl will be fairly weak at 1K. For serious 1K shooting, better off going with a boltgun in a bigger chambering and longer barrel, maybe a 24" 260 Rem or other 6.5 for logistical commonality with your Grendel.

Go with the 20 inch if you are attempting the one gun does all thing in 6.5G.Better yet,if you want a semi auto then a custom 6.5 Creedmoor large frame would have more suitable power and ballistics for a do it all gun.

Steve

I think you chose the right caliber and platform. AR10's are unecessarily heavier for the insignificant benefit of the greater case capacity. Magazines are expensive too.
You did not express your intention of shooting at 1k; you just used 1k drop comparison as an example. The Grendle will be fine at distances in as much as the velocity remains supersonic.
In your Baer Grendel, put in a Tubb carrier weight system and a good trigger like JP, Jewell or Gisselle. Lube the trigger correctly. For long range, two stage, CQB, single stage. You want the stock to fit too so see how it works but be ready to swap out the butt for an adjustable one. Polish the bolt face with 400emery and finish it with flitz. Mount the scope as far forward on an Accuracy Speaks extended rail, and low as possible too to make stock fit easier. The forward mount will make prone shooting better.
Grendle is the cat's meow.

AR10s are bigger/heavier, but a AR10 260 with 24" bbl will smoke a 16" Grendel like a cheap cigar. You'll gain 500-600 fps with 123s.

One thing I would change on his Grendel is the barrel length; I'd use at least 24" and from the gas port forward I'd make it .750 diameter and then a brake. Then, though 260 would out run Grendel, the latter is better in overall usability due to its AR15 platform that uses less expensive parts and has been in the oven much longer; over 40 years development.

if i read your request correctly.....

longer barrels will show better out long

one guy at the hide cup ran a 6.5 Grendel......he did not place so well, me thinks its because it takes a lot to drive a gas gun correctly....he do much better with his bolt gun offerings....

to drive the 6.5 Grendel in all scenarios...you will need to load for yourself....it can be done

If it isn't going to be a CQB rifle, I would go even longer on the barrel, thinking 24" rifle length upper. The extra inches will make a difference out to 1K, and the weight won't be too much more, and should end up comperable to a full blown tactical bolt gun. The 24" will increase your effective hunting range as the velocity will also gain you appreciable energy at further distances. It still won't be an 800 yard hunting rifle, but will do the job better than a 16". I don't think comparing the grendel to any full length 6.5 cartridges is comparing apples to apples. For the AR-15 platform the grendel will do the job as well if not better than nearly anything out there. When you consider available factory ammo, it starts to lead the pack. Sure, a .260 will smoke it like a cigar, but when you start down that road of comparison, you will have to end at a .375 CheyTac, cause it will certainly smoke a .260
laugh.gif

Dave

Hey Guys,
Thank you so much for the input and ideas, this is just what I was hoping for. This is my first AR and there are many things to consider.
The reason I chose the AR is for weight and recoil...I wanted to be able to shoot all day. I know bigger is better for long distance and if that were the only criteria I would probably end up at cheytac or 416 barrett.

I just got off of the phone with Les Baer and the M4 is ONLY available with a 16" barrel They will not build one with a longer. Sooo, I am thinking get the super varmint with 20 or 24" in Grendel and then buy a .223 M4 upper for tatical and close quarter with a tacticle scope of some kind.
That way I have expensive rounds for hunting and long range, and cheap rounds for 'play time'
Super varmint with 20" weighs in at 9lbs 12oz, M4 at 7lbs 12oz.
2 guns for the price of 1.5 guns
So now with the obviously thicker barrel...is 4inches of extra steel a reasonable weight consideration?

for what you will get out of it, I think the 24" is the way to go. Though take that for what it is worth, cause I have done no testing between 20" and 24" to see what kind of real world velocity loss/gain there is.

Dave

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DebosDave</div><div class="ubbcode-body">....I don't think comparing the grendel to any full length 6.5 cartridges is comparing apples to apples.....</div></div>

Dave, Just to be clear, I agree with you 100%. The 260 Rem, and similar 6.5s are in a completely different league than the Grendel. My remarks were in reply to this comment by Casey, which I sincerely disagree with:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Casey Simpson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">....AR10's are unecessarily heavier for the insignificant benefit of the greater case capacity.... </div></div>

In the AR15 chassis, the Grendel is about as good as it gets.

I guy could opt an Oly Arms upper in 243WSSM, or 25WSSM, and get some better LR ballistics, but that's about it. And then you're talking a fat 24" bbl. Might as well go AR10 in that case.

Remington's 30AR might be interesting if necked to 6.5 or 7mm someday too.