• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6.5 Grendel

As a Grendel fan, I believe there are better cartridges for a bolt action rifle. I really like it in a gasser though. Accurate, good range, better KE than 223, fits in a small frame AR. Heavier than 223, lower capacity mags than 223, is still not 308, is REALLY not 6.5 creedmoor. There are more pros and cons I'm sure. In a bolt gun I'd probably step down to a 224 Valkyrie or 224 predator, or step up to 6 or 6.5 creedmoor (or one of the other short action 6.5 x___ cartridges).

Agreed. Grendel bolt guns are fiddly unless it’s a micro action. I like my Ruger, yet the standard sized action causes certain headaches.

Like what? I’ve never had an issue from my ruger grendel

In the factory stock, with AR magazines, my Ruger fed just fine. If you’ll look closely, Ruger positioned the AR magazine well-forward and closer to the chamber in 223, 300BO, Grendel, 350...as well as the Mini 30 mag based 7.62x39 American Ranch. Less distance traveled...

Much the same as the guys setting up shorter cartridges like 6mmBR in magazine fed bolt actions...short cartridges in a regular sized short action cause inconsistencies in feeding. The shorter overall length of the Grendel cartridge running in a Magpul stock (much improved over the factory stock) with AICS magazines induces a very long travel distance for each round feeding from magazine to chamber. Thus, you’ll find fiddly-ness in tweaking magazines to properly and reliably feed. Ruger American short actions are “one size fits all”. Micro sized actions, being shortened vs standard, do not require stubby cartridges to travel nearly as far...

To be sure, it’s all self-induced, solely due to the desire for a better stock. If Magpul offered AR magazine bottom metal for their stocks, I would try it out in a heartbeat. A man with a higher than table top quality 3D printer could feasibly print up such a part.

Tweaking the zero after I dropped the Ruger Predator in a Magpul Hunter stock earlier this year.

1577633087949.jpeg

In the factory stock, with AR magazines, my Ruger fed just fine. If you’ll look closely, Ruger positioned the AR magazine well-forward and closer to the chamber in 223, 300BO, Grendel, 350...as well as the Mini 30 mag based 7.62x39 American Ranch. Less distance traveled...

Much the same as the guys setting up shorter cartridges like 6mmBR in magazine fed bolt actions...short cartridges in a regular sized short action cause inconsistencies in feeding. The shorter overall length of the Grendel cartridge running in a Magpul stock (much improved over the factory stock) with AICS magazines induces a very long travel distance for each round feeding from magazine to chamber. Thus, you’ll find fiddly-ness in tweaking magazines to properly and reliably feed. Ruger American short actions are “one size fits all”. Micro sized actions, being shortened vs standard, do not require stubby cartridges to travel nearly as far...

To be sure, it’s all self-induced, solely due to the desire for a better stock. If Magpul offered AR magazine bottom metal for their stocks, I would try it out in a heartbeat. A man with a higher than table top quality 3D printer could feasibly print up such a part.
Have I missed the problems you’ve had with the rifle? Outside of feeding from a mag that wasn’t intended to be used?

Have I missed the problems you’ve had with the rifle? Outside of feeding from a mag that wasn’t intended to be used?

Nope, only ACIS mags (which is totally self induced). I never implied there was anything other than that, though my post on 28 October could have been more specific. Reading it again, it's a bit vague. I'd had a bolt action Grendel DIY project in mind off and on since sometime in 2013, a proper detachable magazine solution continued to present a stumbling block. The CZ 527 mini action is a fantastic option, yet limited to the 5 round proprietary mags. The initial CZ offering, did not feature threaded barrels either. The Howa mini action presented an improved choice, yet I never got around to ordering one (the proprietary mags and limited stock options). In late 2017, the Ruger Grendel was announced, so I began to plot how to best set one up in a better, more solid stock (my previous experience with a 6.5 Creedmoor chambered Ruger Predator led me to be an early MDT chassis adopter). Totally a "because I can" situation and totally a DIY project.

Now the task at hand is to tinker and test out magazines. The older Magpul AI mags (with grey followers) are a good solution, the PVA BR mag kit is a good solution (in hindsight I should have ordered the flat spring option, the wire spring isn't optimal). Other folks have modified 223 AI pattern mags with the poly inserts (I have a couple, but would rather not apply that much Dremel). Next up on the to do list is a MDT BR magazine (likely a turn key solution).

Ideally, a micro length action fitted with AR pattern magazine bottom metal (in a solid stock of course) would make the best bolt action Grendel.