• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6.5 manbun FL die question

Bryan W M

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 31, 2011
East KS
Sorry if this is stupid question my brain could be fried.

Looking at getting a FL bushing die . Loaded round.290 so .288 bushing correct?

Case coming out of die (different brad of brass). .288

So do I need to spend the money on a bushing die?

Loaded round is Lapua brass and I’d the one I care about.

Looking at getting a FL bushing die . Loaded round.290 so .288 bushing correct?

Case coming out of die (different brad of brass). .288

So do I need to spend the money on a bushing die?
What’s the difference in brass thickness and does that include an expansionist step or not?

If you're already sizing annealed brass down to .288 you are probably good to go.

You could buy a Forster FL die and have them hone it out, it's a great way to go but it doesn't let you adjust your neck compression. This is pretty much where you are now. Or you could buy a bushing die like Whidden offers which would allow you to vary the neck compression and also adjust for different thicknesses of brass. The bushing die gives you added flexibility to vary your neck compression.

If ID of neck is consistent and it shoots well with your Lapua brass just run with that , unless you really want to try a bushing die . If you do go that route I would get at least 3 bushing, gives you one on both sides of your goal .

Yes that includes the expansion. Just running it in a Redding FL die right now. I don’t have any unloaded Lapua brass to measure. That .288 is Starline brass. After running it in the die

Last edited:
Well the expander ball is going to make it .002 under no matter what the bushing sizes it down to as it opens it back up.

If you’ll keep using the ball then measure your loaded round and buy a bushing that’s .004 under that number.

If you want to skip expansion then make the bushing .002 under the neck diameter.

Reactions: Bryan W M
Why do you want to change what you're doing now? Your post isn't exactly dripping with detailed information.

@spife7980
My loaded Lapua and Peterson brass loaded both measure .290
To get the best brass life and neck tension. Would I be better off running a bushing die with a .288 bushing?

If I took the expansion ball out of the die and run a starline brass in it that would tell me close to what that die is correct?

@spife7980
My loaded Lapua and Peterson brass loaded both measure .290
To get the best brass life and neck tension. Would I be better off running a bushing die with a .288 bushing?

If I took the expansion ball out of the die and run a starline brass in it that would tell me close to what that die is correct?
Read my post again.
Starlike doesn’t tell you what lapua is. Can’t believe I need to type that.

You have a loaded lapua round, you have the info you need.