• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6.5 prc 20" barrel powder?

Dirtracer151

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Jun 15, 2009
Prescott AZ
Just built up a 20" 6.5prc. Planning to run it for hunting with an Ultra 5. What powders should I be experimenting with to gain some velocity back on the shorter barrel?

Same powder that gives the highest velocity in a 24" barrel, will usually give the highest velocity in a 20" barrel.
There is no getting velocity back.
Want to keep the high velocity keep the barrel long.

Same powder that gives the highest velocity in a 24" barrel, will usually give the highest velocity in a 20" barrel.
There is no getting velocity back.
Want to keep the high velocity keep the barrel long.

The powder that is fastest for equal peak pressure will likely be the same from 3 inches to 30.

Got it. So what's the go-to fast powder for 6.5prc?

I have tons of 4831sc, h4350, and n560. Of the 3 it looks like n560 might produce the most speed in a 6.5prc but H1000 might be even faster? I have been looking for H1000 locally for over a year and haven't come up with any yet. N565 seems to be another option worth trying?

I'm not looking to break speed records here but the goal was building a shorter/lighter rifle for hunting with a little more balls than my 6.5cm and x47 PRS rifles.

Depe

I have tons of 4831sc, h4350, and n560. Of the 3 it looks like n560 might produce the most speed in a 6.5prc but H1000 might be even faster? I have been looking for H1000 locally for over a year and haven't come up with any yet. N565 seems to be another option worth trying?

I'm not looking to break speed records here but the goal was building a shorter/lighter rifle for hunting with a little more balls than my 6.5cm and x47 PRS rifles.
Depends on what bullet weight you will be shooting...very light to very heavy...but RL 26 covers most any bullet one is likely to use, as one, of the fastest powders for the 6.5 PRC.

Reactions: Dirtracer151
Reloader isn't widely available here but from all the various data I have seen 26 seems to be best velocity for pressure. In Australia 2217 (H1000 packaged in North America)or 2225 (Retumbo) are very close for heavies, H1000 possibly better in light for caliber.

Reloader isn't widely available here but from all the various data I have seen 26 seems to be best velocity for pressure. In Australia 2217 (H1000 packaged in North America)or 2225 (Retumbo) are very close for heavies, H1000 possibly better in light for caliber.
I grabbed a pound of RL 26 a few months back, just sitting on the shelf, $54. Which I thought was too expensive.
I see a few months later some are $65 per pound, if available. Inflation is killing the reloading hobby.
RL 26 is also good in the 6.5 CM, put it with hybrid 277 Fury cases and ya have 140s at 3100 fps in a 24" barrel.

What bullet weight?
I’m getting 2,950 with a 140 Berger elite and N560 in my 20”. Lapua brass F210M
And that’s on a brand new barrel, I expect it to speed up some.

What bullet weight?
I’m getting 2,950 with a 140 Berger elite and N560 in my 20”. Lapua brass F210M
And that’s on a brand new barrel, I expect it to speed up some
I haven't picked a bullet yet but most likely 140 class. 143 eldx or berger hunters.

This is great info as I've got lapua brass ready to go and I would totally be happy with 2950fps if I can get there. What's your charge weight?

I haven't picked a bullet yet but most likely 140 class. 143 eldx or berger hunters.

This is great info as I've got lapua brass ready to go and I would totally be happy with 2950fps if I can get there. What's your charge weight?
For you're 20" barrel, you'll have to stick to the lighter bullet. . .like, 140's and my might be able to almost get to 2950 fps with MagPro or N565. But you'd be pushing the pressure pretty high.

Maybe this chart will give you some ideas:
1714843371214.jpeg

Last edited: