• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6.5 PRC Aftermarket Stock

6Arc904

Private
Minuteman
Feb 19, 2022
Jacksonville Florida
Hey guys,

need help with an aftermarket stock or chassis for Savage 110 Switchback 6.5 PRC
MDT XRS and Oryx will not fit it and function correctly
Who makes a medium action stock I can use?
Any suggestions???

6Arc904

Hey guys,

need help with an aftermarket stock or chassis for Savage 110 Switchback 6.5 PRC
MDT XRS and Oryx will not fit it and function correctly
Who makes a medium action stock I can use?
Any suggestions???

6Arc904
Are you sure this action isn’t a regular short action? The 110 models should be short actions.

The Savage 110 is no longer just a short action. It's both SA, LA and MA now. It is caliber dependent.
The 6.5 PRC is not a short action cartridge as it is marketed to be.
I put it in a XRS chassis after speaking with MDT reps, they assured me it will work.
It physically fit in the chassis with the 4.41 hole spacing but it would have needed some gun smithing on the barrel itself to work
Magazine fit but ammo nose dived because of misalignment with the barrel and mag well

That’s interesting to me because I wouldn’t think a factory manufacture, like savage, would sell the marketed 6.5 short action cartridge as a medium action. As for the barrel not fitting seems a little odd too because all the savages have barrel nuts and savage works with MDT due to the elite precision rifles they have. You would think that they would have provisions for that.

Another question, if you don’t mind, what magazines are you using? Does the magazine fit the barreled action without the stock on it?

Through some research I can’t find any actual info stating that the switchback 6.5 prc is a medium length action factory.

Short action cartridges are traditionally 2.80 in oal
The 6.5 PRC is 2.955 aol so again not a traditional SA cartridge
I used the MDT 300WSM/6.5 PRC magazine as suggested by MDT
The magazine fit and locked into place but still wouldn't function as it should because of the misaligned action/chassis fitment
What the factory says and what I actually true isn't always the same, regardless of what Savage or whoever says 6.5 PRC is not at traditional short action lengths
This is why I talked to them specifically to address the subject.

From MDT

Joshua Anderson (MDT)
May 15, 2023, 11:49 PDT
Hi Chris,

Thank you for reaching out to us, and happy to help. You are correct; 6.5PRC was more designed to be a Medium cartridge, but the rifle manufacturer decides if the action will either fit in a short action or long action chassis and for the Savage 110 in 6.5PRC, it's a short action rifle.

With 300WSM or 6.5PRC factory rounds, it requires to fit in no binder plate AICS short action magazine to fit the longer bullets. This can end up requiring the action to have to be modified slightly and get the feed ramp notched so the tip of the bullet doesn't get caught under the feed ramp, which is most likely what you are experiencing. We list this specification and possible requirements on our magazine page under compatibility. It is normal to see side-to-side movement, but there shouldn't be much vertical or forward/backward movement in the magazine well.

Just to double check on the installation, you will want to make sure that the action was pushed all the way to the rear and then torqued to 60-65 in/lbs or contact and an 1/8th turn past. The chassis will also perform the best by shooting it as a free recoiling system and not overly gripping or pulling the chassis too tight into the body.

Regards
Joshua Anderson
Customer Support

I should have done more research and I would have probably saw this as an issue shame on me for that but also on MDT for not telling me that after 3 phone calls to discuss fitment and function
Oh well lesson learned

savages are notorius for not feeding worth a shit from AICS type mags.
Not sure of anyone making a medium action DBM for savage

I guess I'm stuck with it for now. I don't want to do any smithing on the action
Maybe I'll just sell it and build a 300 PRC
Give Kevin Rayhill a call, I don't know if he is still in the business, but he was the go to for Savage stuff for a while.
savage Sharpshooter supply was another go to, they were notorius for being slow on shipping some items, but always delivered the goods: