• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6.5 PRC appropriate action length

Firefowl

Private
Minuteman
Jan 15, 2023
Washington state
So I’m finding out the hard way that 6.5prc needs to be in something longer than a short action to load the heavier bullets at the length they need.
I’m hesitant to go to long action for fear of feeding problems. What do you all think about the Tikka action, being somewhere between LA and SA. Does it have enough space after changing the bolt stop, bolt face, and screwing on a prefit?
Thanks for the help all.

Reactions: Milf Dots
Two easy buttons: Zermatt Origin Medium action with M5 BM and MDT mags or any long action with Hawkin Hunter BM, mag, and spacer.

Will factory 6.5 PRC loads work in a short action?

I would say medium action would be ideal if you planned to run short action only and load long or wish to have a slightly ligher, more compact gun. However, I did it off a long action and it runs sweet. Watch this...it may change your mind.

tikka is more than long enough

how much length do you need? zermatt and hawkins combo can get to 2.980"

tikka is more than long enough

how much length do you need? zermatt and hawkins combo can get to 2.980"
I don’t know yet. Loaded the 156 Bergers as long as I could in the short action and got pressure about halfway through ladder testing (starting from the bottom load in the manual). Couldn’t get beyond 2700fpc without pressure signs.
I think the short action for shorter 140g bullets is fine. That’s what 6.5PRC was originally intended for. I don’t think the longer 153g & 156g bullets can be seated where they need to be in a short action.

Reactions: tex68w
Short action and 156s at 2.970 COAL works really well and no real need for a XM with the 6.5 PRC and Sammi spec chamber. All The factory loadings in 6.5prc work in SAs without issue.

2700 is really slow. I get well over that with a very very mild load in an 18 inch barrel with RL26 and the 156s. In my 22" I'm in the mid 2900s and over 3k if I want in the 24" guns.

i'd question something if you're only getting 2700 with the 156s. that Creedmoor teritory

In a saami 65prc chamber, 156 Berger touch lands approb 3.065 coal in my rifles. I run 225k freebore and it's closer to 3.1" at touch using Tikka actions. I just built a 65saum with 225k freebore for 156s on a zermatt medium with hawkins hunter mags. I also have a 65 Saum on a short action using a wyatts cfe5 box that holds 2.995 internal, no issues loading 140 Bergers around 2.97 in that, freebore is only around 0.110 in that chamber tho. Factory 65prc ammo is around 2.95 coal. The prc freebore is designed for short action, using eld bullets. They have a short nose long bearing, so coal isn't that long touching. Bergers.......different story.