• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6.5 PRC build and action

Altfarm

Private
Minuteman
Feb 6, 2019
I am looking into building a 6.5 PRC and wanting to know which action is the smoothest action to use. I really enjoy a slick action. Would like to build on a Foundation stock and proof barrel. I do not have the opportunity to feel other actions due to my location. I currently have a 6mm CM on a Impact action. This build will mostly be used for prone long range target shooting and maybe a hunt or two.

Thank you all in advance

I have a defiance deviant and it feels smooth as butter. Hard to describe smoothness levels but I am very pleased.

If your happy with your impact just get a bolt and barrel for it… as far as what action is the smoothest that’s subject because to me and bighorn orgin and tl3 feel just as smooth as my zues.

I currently have a 6.5 prc in an Origin SA and a PVA nut barrel in m24 contour awaiting a stock/chassis. It's about as bang for $ as you can get. Smooth? Sure. I've felt some factory tikka actions that rival damn near anything. Same for Bergara. What that gains you is up for debate.

I personally don't see the smoothness of an action as something to jizz over. What are you gaining by this? Something to ooooh over when you SLOWLY cycle the bolt in your house? Great, does it make it more accurate?
I'm talking about custom actions here. While a superfly Defiance may be smoother, does it actually equate to accuracy over a $800 Origin or CDG?

Sure, you can pay 3x for an action that gains you nothing downrange. If smoothness if your goal, rock on. Just diminished returns imo.

I currently have a 6.5 prc in an Origin SA and a PVA nut barrel in m24 contour awaiting a stock/chassis. It's about as bang for $ as you can get. Smooth? Sure. I've felt some factory tikka actions that rival damn near anything. Same for Bergara. What that gains you is up for debate.

I personally don't see the smoothness of an action as something to jizz over. What are you gaining by this? Something to ooooh over when you SLOWLY cycle the bolt in your house? Great, does it make it more accurate?
I'm talking about custom actions here. While a superfly Defiance may be smoother, does it actually equate to accuracy over a $800 Origin or CDG?

Sure, you can pay 3x for an action that gains you nothing downrange. If smoothness if your goal, rock on. Just diminished returns imo.
While I agree with what you're saying about how the smoothness of an action does not make it any more accurate, I have to say that a smooth action is a whole lot nicer to have than one that tends to bind up if ran really hard. For instance, I have owned several custom actions and know that between the TL3 and a 737/NBK.. the Impact actions are a lot less finnicky when it comes to running the bolt hard. Now the TL3 is smooth, but you have to learn how it likes to be ran, and once you do it's a fantastic action with a ton of great features. The only thing is that if you're in a situation where you get super excited or under a lot of pressure to get a second shot off quickly, the Impact actions simply do not care and are practically immune to any type of binding, while the TL3 has a tendency to hang up unless you put downward pressure on the bolt handle.. I know if you train enough, you should not have any problems with any action you go with.. but I have to disagree that there are no positives to owning the "smoothest" action available. (Just my opinion)

I believe if you already own an Impact, you should go with another Impact or a similar action like a Lone Peak. If you decide to pick up another action that is totally different than what you are accustomed to, (like a Terminus/Curtis/Zermatt/ARC) you are not not going to like running it as much because you will have to adjust to the difference and it will cause hang ups when going back and forth. That's why Vudoo makes the V22 in a 90 and a 60 degree lift, so you can replicate your actual rifle in a rimfire platform to properly train with. Just know that while you're looking for the "smoothest" action available, you currently own one of the best already.. Impact is outselling all other custom actions 2 to 1 for a reason. (Not my words, that's coming from Straight Jacket Armory.)

While I agree with what you're saying about how the smoothness of an action does not make it any more accurate, I have to say that a smooth action is a whole lot nicer to have than one that tends to bind up if ran really hard. For instance, I have owned several custom actions and know that between the TL3 and a 737/NBK.. the Impact actions are a lot less finnicky when it comes to running the bolt hard. Now the TL3 is smooth, but you have to learn how it likes to be ran, and once you do it's a fantastic action with a ton of great features. The only thing is that if you're in a situation where you get super excited or under a lot of pressure to get a second shot off quickly, the Impact actions simply do not care and are practically immune to any type of binding, while the TL3 has a tendency to hang up unless you put downward pressure on the bolt handle.. I know if you train enough, you should not have any problems with any action you go with.. but I have to disagree that there are no positives to owning the "smoothest" action available. (Just my opinion)
Not arguing any of that, but is the ability to feed more consistently due to the smoothness, or the inherent (perhaps superior) overall design?

Not arguing any of that, but is the ability to feed more consistently due to the smoothness, or the inherent (perhaps superior) overall design?
I'd argue that the smoothness is due to the superior overall design.

I’ve been happy with my bat bumblebee. Combined with UM bottom metal and mags, I can load my PRC to 3.15”

I guess the biggest drawback is the unusual square bottom which makes stock selection slightly more difficult

Anyone try a lightweight (anti or titanium vs standard. Much difference
If you are looking for a lightweight action, there really is no reason to go with a Titanium one unless you just want to spend more money.. Actions like the Renegade, Nanook, or the NBK will be your best bet for a lighter, more hunting friendly build that aren't $1800 or more.

Anyone try a lightweight (anti or titanium vs standard. Much difference
I have two anti x actions and they are extremely smooth. I am very happy with both and they both feel smoothly. One long and one short, my short is in a 6.5 PRC paired with a Badger bottom metal and hawkins magazines.

Once you start talking about long actions they all are "bind'y". Don't agree with the above,"no reason to go with a titanium". The NBK and Nanook are heavier and don't have swappable bolt faces.

The TL3 doesn't bind when you run it hard. It binds when you run it like a moron. You can bind an Impact by running it the same way. Lift up on a Impact bolt knob when the bolt is completely to the rear and try to push it forward. Bind'y. Same shit.

The TL3 doesn't bind when you run it hard. It binds when you run it like a moron. You can bind an Impact by running it the same way. Lift up on a Impact bolt knob when the bolt is completely to the rear and try to push it forward. Bind'y. Same shit.
This is just false. Look around this website and you'll find many people that complain about the feel of the TL3 and how easily it binds unless you run it a certain way. I've owned several Impacts and simply can't get them to bind in any way. I'm not even an Impact fanboy either, I don't even own any Impact actions anymore.. I switched over to a Terminus and love it, but it still doesn't feel as nice as a 737 or NBK.

Once you start talking about long actions they all are "bind'y". Don't agree with the above,"no reason to go with a titanium". The NBK and Nanook are heavier and don't have swappable bolt faces.
Obviously we have a Zermatt shill among us here. I never said that Ti actions weigh the same as a Nanook or NBK. But we're talking about 4 oz of weight savings and having to give $400 more just to get it. Unless you just want to spend more money, I personally don't think the Ti actions are worth going for. But that's the thing about opinions, it's just my 2 cents and you don't have to agree with it.

Why are people building 6.5 PRCs on short actions?
I like this compact length with the extra case capacity. I look at it like if you're going for a longer action, you can get a lot more case capacity than a 6.5 prc.

Why are people building 6.5 PRCs on short actions?
Why not? Short actions have a lot of advantages compared to a long action. Less weight, shorter overall length, better feel, less expensive, better stock/chassis options, etc. I understand that a medium action is probably best for a 6.5 PRC, but those have only been around for a few minutes and have not really caught on just yet. Only issue you'll have with running a 6.5 PRC in a short action is if you stretch the COAL to the max.

I like this compact length with the extra case capacity. I look at it like if you're going for a longer action, you can get a lot more case capacity than a 6.5 prc.
I agree, if you're gonna go for a long action you might as well go for a cartridge that's meant for the long action. The beauty of the 6.5 PRC is that it can be shoved into a short action.

I suggest a bat bumblebee or Vesper short action with the unknown munitions dbm untilizing the XL magazine, this allows 3.150 coal to be ran on a true short action. I have a 25prc on the bumblebee. The Vesper is a round bottom 700 clone, the bumblebee is an aluminum flat bottom. Both are extremely smooth, however more of the light weight build side of things. For more of a steel gun, I'd go with a medium length steel action from Lone Peak, Zermatt, or Defiance.

Obviously we have a Zermatt shill among us here. I never said that Ti actions weigh the same as a Nanook or NBK. But we're talking about 4 oz of weight savings and having to give $400 more just to get it. Unless you just want to spend more money, I personally don't think the Ti actions are worth going for. But that's the thing about opinions, it's just my 2 cents and you don't have to agree with it.
Shill. I have zero respect for people that use this word. This is a social media word. No one actually says this in a face to face conversation I can tell you're the type of person that is heavily influenced by excessive screen time on social media and repeats things they see online. I bet you say, "that slaps", and "hits different", "my guy".

The last half of this post is how you should have framed your original post. "I personally don't think.." Your opinion. Leave it at that and log off chair force.

Here's a 20" on a defiance anti-x. Its super compact and I've just started load development. Its shooting well so far (.5-.6") but I'm hoping to tune the groups down just a little. I am also building an 18" on a Ti3 action that will be done mid summer. What I'm getting at, is I really like the light weight and compactness of a 6.5 PRC and it gets great performance for Mule / White Tail Deer.
IMG_9206.jpg

Reactions: codym and 2Twenty3
Shill. I have zero respect for people that use this word. This is a social media word. No one actually says this in a face to face conversation I can tell you're the type of person that is heavily influenced by excessive screen time on social media and repeats things they see online. I bet you say, "that slaps", and "hits different", "my guy".

The last half of this post is how you should have framed your original post. "I personally don't think.." Your opinion. Leave it at that and log off chair force.
I have zero respect for bums who talk big on a forum behind a screen. You say that no one says the word "shill" in a face to face conversation, too bad this isn't one of those. You reek of short man syndrome buddy. Go take a shower, shill.

Here's a 20" on a defiance anti-x. Its super compact and I've just started load development. Its shooting well so far (.5-.6") but I'm hoping to tune the groups down just a little. I am also building an 18" on a Ti3 action that will be done mid summer. What I'm getting at, is I really like the light weight and compactness of a 6.5 PRC and it gets great performance for Mule / White Tail Deer.
View attachment 8403763
Really dope rifle man, pretty close to how mine is set up. I went with an 18” Sendero Light in 6.5 Creed because I do more coyote hunting than anything, but also use it for Whitetails. Built off a Terminus Apollo action so it wouldn’t interfere with my N-Vision Nox 35 thermal when I throw it on for night hunting.

Attachments

• IMG_1724.jpeg
    IMG_1724.jpeg
    439.4 KB · Views: 12
Reactions: shootertom
I have zero respect for bums who talk big on a forum behind a screen. You say that no one says the word "shill" in a face to face conversation, too bad this isn't one of those. You reek of short man syndrome buddy. Go take a shower, shill.
Just what this forum needs. Another dickweed who started shooting long range 5 years ago and puts his military service in his signature. I bet your going to be all these threads with your new guy opinions now. Do the rest of us a favor and delete your account

Just what this forum needs. Another dickweed who started shooting long range 5 years ago and puts his military service in his signature. I bet your going to be all these threads with your new guy opinions now. Do the rest of us a favor and delete your account
My brother in Christ, you are a sure enough pussy talking all this trash over absolutely nothing. You don't even allow people to view your profile for crying out loud! Do the rest of us a favor and castrate yourself.

My brother in Christ, you are a sure enough pussy talking all this trash over absolutely nothing. You don't even allow people to view your profile for crying out loud! Do the rest of us a favor and castrate yourself.
I just hate your face.

Here's the lesson. If you want to call people Reddit names because they disagree with you and make things personal, I will fuck with you all day long. State your opinion and then stfu. If someone disagrees with you, that's okay. You can just leave it at that. You don't need to double down and try to discredit their opinion by calling them Internet bad names.

Last edited:
I just hate your face.

Here's the lesson. If you want to call people Reddit names because they disagree with you and make things personal, I will fuck with you all day long. State your opinion and then stfu. If someone disagrees with you, that's okay. You can just leave it at that. You don't need to double down and try to discredit their opinion by calling them Internet bad names.
Internet bad names??? Holy shit dude you're such a loser, I honestly feel bad at this point. You sure are a certified goof!

How much heavier? Difference between the NBK vs lone peak Ti is 10.5 oz. So about the weight of a small bottle of water.

How much heavier? Difference between the NBK vs lone peak Ti is 10.5 oz. So about the weight of a small bottle of water.
It is pretty neligible. But when you're building those light rifles the only way to break a certain glass ceiling is to pay a premium for 2 to 3 oz in every component. Most custom actions weigh between 29 and 32 oz. So you could make the same argument with these $1,500 " light" steel actions that only save you about 3 or 4 oz in the middle of a road approach that they're taking. Your average carbon fiber stock weighs 28 to 30 oz. A. 26-in carbon fiber sendero weighs about 3 lb. 4 oz. If you use 80% of the light'ish components out there, almost regardless of what you choose, you're going to end up with a 10 -11 lb rifle once it is scoped up, suppressed, with a bipod. And I don't think there's anything wrong with that setup. To be honest, I think the sweet spot for long range carry'ability and ease of shooting the same zero in various positions you might find yourself while hunting is between 10 and 12 lb.

BUT, If you want to start losing weight while retaining a suppressor and bipod, you have to start looking at barrel lengths, titanium actions and specialty stocks. Love the Hawkins dbm Hunter bottom metal but that's a heavy bitch too. So that's where I see titanium actions being a choice for someone who's willing to go that length. Another opportunity to cut serious weight is to get away from the 28oz Leupold MK5's and NF NX8's. March 3x24's are fantastic hunting scopes and will save you 4-5oz.

The real choice was the anti using direct mount Hawkins hybrid rings before defiance changed ownership and added $600 to the price of the action. Back when they were going for $1000. Now it's priced up there with titanium actions.

You will need to fiddle with feed lip width to make that work good. I had the same setup in a manners prs1 mini chassis. With accurate 300wsm mags, the top rd in mag would pinch empty ejecting cases at rear top corner of ejection port. Talked to zermatt and they confirmed that is an issue and that the feed lips need bent on to hold top rd down. Only issue was there wasn't alot of bolt face/top rd overlap to begin with. If their ejection port had square corners it wouldn't have been an issue, but they have a trapezoidal shape in top rear corner. Empty cases partially ejected and were caught there, looked like a trap gun that was set to catch empties.