• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6.5 PRC Build

Doc12

Private
Minuteman
Sep 26, 2010
I'm in the process of putting together a new 6.5 PRC and wanted to run my build out there for any suggestions. I want this as a hunting rifle and hunt NY state so it's a lot of tree stand hunting. Shots won't be past 500 yds for the most part. I can't have a suppressor in this God forsaken state so that is not an option. I have a nitrided Defiance Ruckus GA action. Planning on going with a Bartlein steel barrel, 8 twist, contour 3 cut to 24 inches threaded muzzle 1/2-28 if I want to add a muzzle brake. I was planning on having Bugholes do the shoulder prefix barrel. Was planning on using Hawkins M5 Oberndorf bottom metal with Wyatt 6.5 PRC kit. Stock will probably be a McMIllan but yet to be determined. This is my first DIY build so looking for any advice or input. Thanks

Since you’re building off a fast 6.5prc you could go 20” and give up a little speed if you wanted a handier rifle.

Reactions: 2Twenty3
Thats been one of my thoughts as well.... cut it to 20" or even 22" and add a brake if wanted. I was a little worried that 24" with a brake would be a tad long and I'm not shooting 1000 yds. Thanks!

Give Mike Manzella (Manzella Precision) a call for the prefit barrel. I had him chamber a 1:7.75 Bartlein carbon fiber in 6.5 PRC a few months back. Also take a look at Pure Precision stocks. They are pretty quick on shipping (4-7 weeks) and super light.
Screenshot_20231227_192025_Gallery.jpg

I will second the notion to go with a 20" barrel over a 24". It would be different if you were shooting further than you will be. I would also second that Bugholes would be a fine place to have the barrel turned, and a 3B at 20" won't have a problem getting 5/8x24 threading. But my opinion is that if you can't legally own a suppressor, I would just not run a brake at all. A brake usually directs the blast towards the shooter, and while it does negate some kick, your ears pay a hefty price. Now I realize you can always hunt with hearing protection, but I personally hate it. A 6.5 PRC really doesn't recoil bad enough for me to warrant making the rifle twice as loud at the shooter's ear vs not running a brake, especially if you're just deer hunting and will almost always only shoot once and be done for the day. So with that being said, I would go no longer than a 22" barrel without a brake, or a 20" with a brake (preferably a radial).

AG Composites Alpine Hunter and a proof carbon prefit is a nice combo. Sucks there arent many short prefit options for a 6.5 prc. Proof website shows 22” prefit for the ruckus

I’ve got a 6.5 prc on an impact with a 22” proof carbon barrel with a suppressor in a manners lrh, and with factory eldx I’m averaging 2920 fps, been working up a load with some different Berger bullets lately. I would go shorter than 24” as others have stated, of course you could always have it threaded and just run a thread protector if you didn’t like it need the brake .