• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6.5 PRC head scratcher.

king1886ranch

Minuteman
Feb 27, 2017
I’m loading a 6.5 PRC up for a guy and can’t wrap my head around these numbers. Here’s my load:

140gr Berger Elite Hunter
58.2gr Retumbo
Fed 210m primer
Gunwerks brass

Here’s where it gets interesting. Self admittedly I have not chronographed yet, but I was sure (after extensive reading of load data) that I’d be somewhere around 3075fps with this load so I didn’t bother before taking it out long range. When I trued my dope it “trued” MV at 2740fps.

I’m planning on loading some more up and testing with the magneto tomorrow but I just don’t get it. Am I missing something? I know the dope is correct, I confirmed hits at 850, 1146, 1400 and had 3 hits in a row at 1877 yards.

What barrel length? What BC are you using? What ballistic software?

For Reference I have a 26" 6.5x284 and it does 3080fps with 140gr Berger VLD and 57.1gr H1000, so your 3075 estimate shouldn't be far off.

@Travclem 22” barrel 1:8 twist and I’m using Applied Ballistics with Litz’s custom drag model.

22” might be a little short for that much powder but I would think it wouldn’t account for 300fps. Only thing I could of last night was that maybe the scope doesn’t track correctly. If that’s the case then could calibrating ballistics account for that? I tried at 850 then went out to 1400 and tried again. Got them on then checked it at 1146, dead on, then checked it at 1877 again dead on.

Maybe try to use a g7 BC instead of a CDM. The CDMs have caused a few people problems in the past.

Reactions: db2000