• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6.5 prc help

Justinpmorris

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 2, 2018
I’m looking for data on muzzle velocity vs barrel length.

I want to build a backpacking rifle in short action and it was suggested by my local gurus that I use 6.5 prc. My goals with gun are small and light weight with a shooting distance of no more than 500 yards. All the data I can find is for 22 and 24” barrels.

I’d like to use stock ammo such as Hornady 143 elf-x in a 1:7 twist barrel.

Any prebuilt tables out there showing MV from 16,18,20 etc up to 24” ?

I want to build a backpacking rifle in short action and it was suggested by my local gurus that I use 6.5 prc. My goals with gun are small and light weight with a shooting distance of no more than 500 yards. All the data I can find is for 22 and 24” barrels.

Subtract 20-40 fps per inch.

7 twist pretty unnecessary

I don't have data with factory ammo, but I have some numbers with H1000 and 140Accubond, and IMR4831 with the 147 eldm. My barrel is still speeding up though, only 80 rounds through it so far.

I will drink to that . For short barrels bigger bores are better at using faster powders . Small bores peak pressure real easy with faster powders and with slower powders can burn a lot of power in the air giving larger muzzel blast for no extra velocity .

I don't have data with factory ammo, but I have some numbers with H1000 and 140Accubond, and IMR4831 with the 147 eldm. My barrel is still speeding up though, only 80 rounds through it so far.
So what kinda speeds are you seeing and what length barrel?

Barrel is a 26" Rock Creek #2 cut by PVA.

It still seems to be speeding up, but I pulled out my book and I'll list the high end (of what I tested) data below in order it was shot. It has definitely been speeding up each trip, so take it with a grain of salt.

147 ELD-M w. 51.1 gr of IMR4831 at 2839 FPS (One of my first outings)

140 accubond w. 58.7 gr of H1000 at 3034 FPS (up 20 FPS from 20 rounds ago)

There is also a thread here and on LRH for 6.5 PRC reloading with tons of data and details on builds. If you're looking for factory rifle info, I'm not sure where to send you. As far as reloading for max speed, it seems RL26 puts up the big numbers (if you can find it in stock). H1000 is really temp stable (in my experience) and seems to offer decent barrel life based on what the 6.5 SAUM guys are saying, so I'll likely stick with that for the time being.

With 500 yards as your maximum range a 308 is a better choice than 6.5 PRC. You can run a shorter barrel (a weight and handling advantage), the 308 has a vast array of factory ammo available to it compared to the PRC, and recoil is going to be equal or slightly less.

Other advantages that you may or may not care about are much longer barrel life and the ability to use a significantly heavier bullet.

Reactions: Another Casual
7mm-08 may also be a good option depending on how short you want to go. Great bullet selection, probably slightly less ammo selection than the 308. I went 26" on my PRC because it didn't make much sense to me to stuff a ton of slow burning powder in a case and feed it through a short tube. That being said, there's people doing it. Just makes you wonder how much powder is burned in the barrel vs out of it.

6.5 PRC from a short barrel is going to be appreciably faster than a short 6.5 Creed, which is better ballistics than a short bbl 308.
6.5 PRC will have larger muzzle flash, more concussion but probably no more than 20-25 fps / inch lost down to 20”, shorter than 20” you’ll take a bigger hit.
Would I do a 20”, 6.5 PRC? No
Shorter than 20”? Not only no but NFW!

2950 w/143 from a 24” bbl, probably down 160 -180 fps in a 16” bbl for 2770-2790.
143 @ 2750 from a 16” bbl will absolutely crush a 308 ballistically but at a price.
6.5 has higher BC bullet, higher SD, more velocity, less drift, more energy on target and the 6.5 PRC that short will have more muzzle flash / concussion.

Below 20” bbl, I’d do a different cartridge. 6.5 Creed, 7 Creed, 7-08, 308 but a 6.5 PRC will still outperform all of them; no replacement for displacement.

Is a 20" 6.5 PRC a dumb idea? what kind of velocity difference might I expect comparing 20" 6.5creed vs 20" 6.5 PRC?

Last edited:
About the same difference you’ll see between a 24” 6.5 Creed and a 24” 6.5 PRC.
Might lose a little more with PRC but isn’t going to be a really radical difference.
Below 20”, difference will amplify as slower burn rate and more powder in case PRC.

Isn’t “new”, go look at 6.5 Rem Mag data as that was 18” barrel on Rem 600 / 660.
PRC is slightly less case capacity but not enough to change performance all that much.

Last edited:

do you have a link to the pre-built tables? I need to look at the 18"