• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6.5 PRC hodgdon superformance load development

HerbUSMC

Private
Minuteman
Mar 5, 2021
Bensalem Pa
Just started load development for 6.5 PRC with hodgdon superformance powder
this powder was amazing for my 6.5 creedmoor and have searched low and high for information and there is next to nothing so I’m starting with the load data for 6.5 creedmoor using 153gr hornady a tip bullets 46.5gr according to hornady will run the 153 at 2800 fps. So using that as my starting point we have 46.5 gr superformance powder,Lapua case, cci large rifle benchrest primer and hornady 153 gr atips shooting out of a desert tech 28.5” barrel from short action customs (absolutely huge magazine!!! Desert tech hand fed rounds in the PRC to 3.25 COAL) with a coal of 3.050 which places us .0150 off of the lands. First velocity was a disappointing 2575 fps but we worked up to 50 grains even and 2800 fps with zero signs of pressure and a ton of case capacity to go looking to be above 3k

Last edited:
this powder was amazing for my 6.5 creedmoor and have searched low and high for information and there is next to nothing so I’m starting with the load data for 6.5 creedmoor using 153gr hornady a tip bullets 46.5gr according to hornady will run the 153 at 2800 fps. So using that as my starting point we have 46.5 gr superformance powder,Lapua case, cci large rifle benchrest primer and hornady 153 gr atips shooting out of a desert tech 28.5” barrel from short action customs (absolutely huge magazine!!! Desert tech hand fed rounds in the PRC to 3.25 COAL) with a coal of 3.050 which places us .0150 off of the lands. First velocity was a disappointing 2575 fps but we worked up to 50 grains even and 2800 fps with zero signs of pressure and a ton of case capacity to go looking to be above 3k
Not sure if you are familiar with Internal Ballistics models like Gordon's Reloading Tool (GRT) or QuickLoad (QL) but if you spend much time "going off the map" so to speak, you are the perfect candidate to benefit from those tools.

GRT is free and QL isn't, but QL isn't very expensive either. I would say if someone is comfortable with average speadsheet level software, it will only take a little while to get going with GRT or QL. With the time invested, you would have a decent preview of the potential of a given powder in your recipe. That doesn't guarantee it will be a great performer, but the concept is that these programs can certainly eliminate hopeless combinations.
Play it safe. YMMV

To give you some idea for the free GRT app (Gordon's Reloading Tool) that RegionRat is referring to, here's a sample:

6.5 PRC - Hodgdon Superperformace (1).jpg

Last edited:
Not sure if you are familiar with Internal Ballistics models like Gordon's Reloading Tool (GRT) or QuickLoad (QL) but if you spend much time "going off the map" so to speak, you are the perfect candidate to benefit from those tools.

GRT is free and QL isn't, but QL isn't very expensive either. I would say if someone is comfortable with average speadsheet level software, it will only take a little while to get going with GRT or QL. With the time invested, you would have a decent preview of the potential of a given powder in your recipe. That doesn't guarantee it will be a great performer, but the concept is that these programs can certainly eliminate hopeless combinations.
Play it safe. YMMV
Thank you very much sir!!

Reactions: RegionRat
HerbUSMC, just reading through this and seeing if you have gone any further with superformance. I'm loading my 6.5 PRC with some as well testing this out. Just curious if you've tried any other bullets where you've found pressure ect. I put some behind some NGT 130s and saw decent velocity with no pressure yet so still developing right now trying to find that ceiling.