• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

PRS Talk 6.5 PRC in PRS/Hunting

RedRaider271

Private
Minuteman
Mar 12, 2010
DFW Texas
I have shot both 6mm Creedmoor and 6.5 Creedmoor, but ended up trading them away. I have experience shooting 3 gun and playing on long range but haven't shot a PRS match yet so I don't know if I am going to go all in yet but plan on building a rifle to try it out and to continue playing with long range.

I am trying to find some info on if anyone is using 6.5 PRC for PRS or is the recoil two much to deal with. I have been advised to just shoot 6.5 Creedmoor unless I am building strictly a hunting rifle but I go back and forth on which would be better. Because of the investment I would like to build something fun to play with at the range and do some hunting for fun when I don't have to carry it a country mile.... but I also realize you need a specific tool for a specific task. I have other rifles hunt with, so as I said this would be more of a all around play rifle.

1. Could you get away with attempting PRS with a 6.5 PRC with right loads and muzzle break?
2. Just stay with 6.5 Creedmoor since its more commonly used for PRS etc...

Please let me know your thoughts... advice etc..

you "could"...just seems like a bad idea

chances of the fatter cases feeding as well, are slim and will probably require more fiddling...how many mag options hold 10 rounds of wsm/prc size cases? limited there also

barrel life is going to be less, and cost of components/ammo is higher with no real match advantage + added recoil is a negative...the small velocity bump isnt going to help much at all with wind

and are you even going to be shooting at anything a 6.5creed will have problems with killing? lots of elk/moose out there being dropped with creeds

• Sad
Reactions: CaylenW
The 6.5 PRC is a really good hunting cartridge.
It also does very well if you are trying to push your shots significantly long.

It is however very much less than optimal for PRS style shooting matches that favor light fast cartridges with little recoil.
There is a growing trend in the PRS to move from the 6.5 based cartridges to 6mm ones for even less recoil.
You could shoot with your 6.5 PRC at the PRS match, just as you could shoot a match with your .308 or .300 (of whatever flavour) but if you want to be competitive, you probably won't.

Recoil while shooting at a bench / prone is a lot harder than when shooting standing up and what may feel fine to shoot standing at game for a shot or two, may make you have a slight bit of movement to your shot when done at a bench or prone over and over for dozens of rounds in a sitting.

• Sad
Reactions: Wyzrd and CaylenW
Very good input, makes sense, maybe I'll just keep rolling with 6.5 Creedmoor, that's kind of what I was leaning towards but wanted explore the other option as well, just to make sure, I grew up shooting 6mm and I am quite fond of them but want to stick with 6.5 for now,

Appreciate the feedback

The 6.5 PRC is a good cartridge if you want something that you can comfortable use for hunting large game (elk, moose) as well as competing with using 1 gun. That said, I would consider it to be a compromise cartridge for both jobs.

Using 200gr and 143gr ELD-X factory ammo for the hunting comparison, the .300 Win-Mag will still have more than 2000 ft/lbs of energy at 500 yards (compared to 1,604 ft/lbs for the PRC) and will only drop 3 inches more (39.3 vs 36.2, with a 200 yard zero for both).

In competition the recoil of a 6.5 PRC makes it more difficult to spot hits and misses while providing little to no ballistic benefit over a hot 6 like 6 Creedmoor, 6x47, or 6XC. Shooting DTAC's at 3050 fps you'll see 6.92 MRAD of drop at 1000 yards and 1.68 MRAD of wind hold in a 10 mph crosswind. With 147's at 2950 fps you'll have 7.32 MRAD of elevation and identical windage of 1.68 MRAD.

I've shot a 147's at 2900 fps out of a lightweight (10 pounds with bipod and scope) 6.5 Creedmoor rifle (43.8gr RL-16 loaded .020" off the lands in Lapua brass), and off barricades it was tough to spot my misses if it had rained recently since the recoil would knock you far enough off target that you couldn't see the little puff of wet dirt. If you made the gun heavy enough to counter this effect, you end up with a gun that you couldn't really use for hunting (unless you do most of it on horseback or sitting and waiting), and you'd still have no real ballistic advantage over pushing the DTACS or 110 SMK's (.302 BC instead of the .303 of the DTAC) at 3000+ fps.

I swapped from shooting that hot 6.5 Creedmoor load to my current heavy 6BR build (shooting 105's at 2900 fps) and my scores went up because there's next to 0 recoil and I can see exactly where I missed to correct my wind holds. It's less of an issue, I suppose, out east where there's less wind but it's a really big deal here in the plains where the wind like to blow upwards of 20 mph pretty often.

Reactions: TEUFEL820
I have shot both 6mm Creedmoor and 6.5 Creedmoor, but ended up trading them away. I have experience shooting 3 gun and playing on long range but haven't shot a PRS match yet so I don't know if I am going to go all in yet but plan on building a rifle to try it out and to continue playing with long range.

I am trying to find some info on if anyone is using 6.5 PRC for PRS or is the recoil two much to deal with. I have been advised to just shoot 6.5 Creedmoor unless I am building strictly a hunting rifle but I go back and forth on which would be better. Because of the investment I would like to build something fun to play with at the range and do some hunting for fun when I don't have to carry it a country mile.... but I also realize you need a specific tool for a specific task. I have other rifles hunt with, so as I said this would be more of a all around play rifle.

1. Could you get away with attempting PRS with a 6.5 PRC with right loads and muzzle break?

The 6.5 PRC is EXTREMELY accurate! I shoot in PRS matches and have seen several guys doing the same!

Yes the recoil is a little more the the 6.5 Creedmore...but, the trick is to open your Field of View be slightly reducing the Zoom level! At 24x, yes I can lose the target...but the timing allowed is ample. However if I do to 20x or 16x even...it's just fine!

The PRC is too good not to use!
For PRS Matches AND having a long range hunting rifle...the 6.5 PRC is THE choice!

I have the Ruger Hawkeye Long-Distance 6.5 PRC. Sub-Sub MOA!

Best all round rifle I've ever had

It's heavy recoiling and more suited to field matches of stages with 1k+ and wind. It's a laser.
There is a reason cartridges like the 6GT and BRA do well in light wind matches... Following your trace.

The 6.5 PRC is EXTREMELY accurate! I shoot in PRS matches and have seen several guys doing the same!

Yes the recoil is a little more the the 6.5 Creedmore...but, the trick is to open your Field of View be slightly reducing the Zoom level! At 24x, yes I can lose the target...but the timing allowed is ample. However if I do to 20x or 16x even...it's just fine!

The PRC is too good not to use!
For PRS Matches AND having a long range hunting rifle...the 6.5 PRC is THE choice!

I have the Ruger Hawkeye Long-Distance 6.5 PRC. Sub-Sub MOA!

Best all round rifle I've ever had

I recently finished my PRC and have been getting great results with it. As I have been trying to get into some matches I have ran into multiple that don't allow magnums. Have you seen this issue? Pretty annoyed by it limiting me to certain matches. It meets PRS rules.

I recently finished my PRC and have been getting great results with it. As I have been trying to get into some matches I have ran into multiple that don't allow magnums. Have you seen this issue? Pretty annoyed by it limiting me to certain matches. It meets PRS rules.

Have you tried telling those who don't allow the PRC that the PRC stands for precision rifle cartridge and that you are trying to compete in PRS which is precision rifle shooting?

Reactions: dallinrdewitt
Have you tried telling those who don't allow the PRC that the PRC stands for precision rifle cartridge and that you are trying to compete in PRS which is precision rifle shooting?
I find that to be the most appropriate response... I'm baffled by it. Two local matches that I can't join.

• Sad
Reactions: stello1001
the restrictions are to protect the steel/target hangers/etc...its likely just a general rule to protect against the bigger magnums instead of having to rule on every magnum chambering out there...then u run into "well his magnum is ok, why isnt mine? what if i shoot X bullet at Y speed..." nonsense...no MD is going to go thru the hassle of checking everyone's loads

our local matches are mostly 300-700 yds, we allow anything up to 30 cal and under 3200 fps, same as the prs rules, but we still lose quite a few targets and hangers to cracks and breaking....we are slowly replacing all of the 3/8" steel with 1/2" and the 1/2" is quite a bit more expensive

and thats with pretty much no one shooting above a 308, probably 90% 6/6.5 short actions...if there were multiple guys showing up with 300wm's or similar we'd prolly have to change our rules too

if the matches youre referring to are actually affiliated with the PRS, they should update their targets/hangers to support the PRS rules...if theyre not and just independent local matches, they can restrict whatever they like, just how it is

Last edited:
Because of the investment I would like to build something fun to play with at the range and do some hunting for fun when I don't have to carry it a country mile.... but I also realize you need a specific tool for a specific task.

Just have 2 barrels spun up. Shoot the Creed for PRS and swap it out for the PRC when you intend to go hunt. That's exactly what I am currently doing. I spun up a 26" SS Bart in Creed for matches and also a 24" Proof Carbon Fiber in PRC for Elk hunting next Oct. That way everything, except the barrel, I will use every weekend in matches, so I will be very familiar with everything.

Reactions: Wyzrd
the restrictions are to protect the steel/target hangers/etc...its likely just a general rule to protect against the bigger magnums instead of having to rule on every magnum chambering out there...then u run into "well his magnum is ok, why isnt mine? what if i shoot X bullet at Y speed..." nonsense...no MD is going to go thru the hassle of checking everyone's loads

our local matches are mostly 300-700 yds, we allow anything up to 30 cal and under 3200 fps same, as the prs rules, but we still lose quite a few targets and hangers to cracks and breaking....we are slowly replacing all of the 3/8" steel with 1/2" and the 1/2" is quite a bit more expensive

and thats with pretty much no one shooting above a 308, probably 90% 6/6.5 short actions...if there were multiple guys showing up with 300wm's or similar we'd prolly have to change our rules too

if the matches youre referring to are actually affiliated with the PRS, they should update their targets/hangers to support the PRS rules...if theyre not and just independent local match, they can restrict whatever they like, just how it is
That makes sense... I had one respond to me just now making it sound like short action magnums would be okay, trying to get a direct response from the people in charge now to verify.

Reactions: morganlamprecht
Just have 2 barrels spun up. Shoot the Creed for PRS and swap it out for the PRC when you intend to go hunt. That's exactly what I am currently doing. I spun up a 26" SS Bart in Creed for matches and also a 24" Proof Carbon Fiber in PRC for Elk hunting next Oct. That way everything, except the barrel, I will use every weekend in matches, so I will be very familiar with everything.
You just have to buy a new bolt face then?

Reactions: A&8's and BCX
I find it admirable that you are asking upfront about the rules of 3200fps max and the “no magnums” rule. You said you are under the speed limit, and nothing about your rifle actually says “magnum”, so I would say the burden of proof that you are outside the rules falls solely on the match director. As it sets, I would say you’re good to go. Now if you go start blowing steel off the hangars every other stage, your gear would fall under question, and maybe have to shoot over a chronograph. I would just sign up and go shoot like you’ve been there before. I have shot at a national level matches with guys using 300wm and 6.5 PRC in our squad, the only thought that crossed my mind was that the guy using his wood stocked 300 was tougher than me to have that thing hammer him all weekend!

I find it admirable that you are asking upfront about the rules of 3200fps max and the “no magnums” rule. You said you are under the speed limit, and nothing about your rifle actually says “magnum”, so I would say the burden of proof that you are outside the rules falls solely on the match director. As it sets, I would say you’re good to go. Now if you go start blowing steel off the hangars every other stage, your gear would fall under question, and maybe have to shoot over a chronograph. I would just sign up and go shoot like you’ve been there before. I have shot at a national level matches with guys using 300wm and 6.5 PRC in our squad, the only thought that crossed my mind was that the guy using his wood stocked 300 was tougher than me to have that thing hammer him all weekend!
Yeah that's the right way to think about it. Just trying to go into this with as much knowledge as I can haha. Thanks for the reply!

All these comments here about the PRC not being good for competition use is nonsense. If you’re not afraid of a little bit of felt recoil and you can actually shoot a rifle the way it was intended to be shot (with your shoulder) the PRC is an awesome cartridge for it.

If you’re gonna be shooting a lot of events it may be a less than optimal selection purely from a barrel life aspect, but my PRC has 1600 rounds and still crushing it. Running 147’s right at 3k with RL23.

The first match I shot with mine I ended up somewhere in the top 15% out at Rock Lake. I run a 4 port brake on mine and it managed the recoil just fine, and I’m not one of these weighted rifle fanbois. That stick weighs in at 16lbs.

Someone was in here talking about mags being finicky and that couldn’t be farther from the truth either. You’re going to have more headaches with all the little bitty 6mm’s that are all the craze right now. I use Alpha Mags, 7 rounders for hunting and the 12 rounders for comps.

Don’t be afraid to run it in comps man, it’s an awesome cartridge. ?

All these comments here about the PRC not being good for competition use is nonsense. If you’re not afraid of a little bit of felt recoil and you can actually shoot a rifle the way it was intended to be shot (with your shoulder) the PRC is an awesome cartridge for it.

If you’re gonna be shooting a lot of events it may be a less than optimal selection purely from a barrel life aspect, but my PRC has 1600 rounds and still crushing it. Running 147’s right at 3k with RL23.

The first match I shot with mine I ended up somewhere in the top 15% out at Rock Lake. I run a 4 port brake on mine and it managed the recoil just fine, and I’m not one of these weighted rifle fanbois. That stick weighs in at 16lbs.

Someone was in here talking about mags being finicky and that couldn’t be farther from the truth either. You’re going to have more headaches with all the little bitty 6mm’s that are all the craze right now. I use Alpha Mags, 7 rounders for hunting and the 12 rounders for comps.

Don’t be afraid to run it in comps man, it’s an awesome cartridge. ?

How long a barrel and what brass for your load? Not too many guys running RL-23 but I like the numbers for a 147 if it’s not beating up the brass too much

How long a barrel and what brass for your load? Not too many guys running RL-23 but I like the numbers for a 147 if it’s not beating up the brass too much
26”, Gunwerks brass.

I went with RL 23 after being educated on its temperature stability. I use it in both my PRC and 7 SAUM cartridges.

Brass has been doing really well. Even with that combo and Hornady virgin brass that I was originally using it’s gotten great results.

Thanks for reply: RL-23 was good in my own testing for stability, just couldn’t get enough of it in the case for creedmoor loads so I stuck with RL—16. I’ll give it a try in my PRC!

Run that prc! It's to common these days that people run from recoil all in chase to win or do better, make no bones the smaller calibers have the advantage for spotting your impact from position, but hand that same guy who is chasing the carrot a 308 and they can't make it connects. Don't sacrifice fundamentals for placement in this game! Run the prc and climb the ranks with a magnum. At the end of the day you'll feel better about that then jumping in the rat race with the baby rounds ?

It's NOT a "magnum"...

Reactions: R_A_W
I built a PRC to hunt and shoot matches with. I’ve already put down a couple of deer with and and now I’m getting ready to start shooting matches. While I’m nothing special and this long range game with a descent break or can and dialing my scope back I spot my hits a misses. And when it really comes down to it shoot what you want for whatever reason you want.
I’ve got a 18” .308 gas gun that I love to take to regular matches and have fun with. Everyone gets so wrapped up in what this or that they should shoot that it takes the fun out of it.

Run that prc! It's to common these days that people run from recoil all in chase to win or do better, make no bones the smaller calibers have the advantage for spotting your impact from position, but hand that same guy who is chasing the carrot a 308 and they can't make it connects. Don't sacrifice fundamentals for placement in this game! Run the prc and climb the ranks with a magnum. At the end of the day you'll feel better about that then jumping in the rat race with the baby rounds ?
I totally agree. I shot my first ever prs style match this weekend using my 6.5 prc. I was kind of surprised by the amount of people who thought it would be tough to see splash, and that my shoulder would be sore. It really doesn’t kick that much lol. I was on 16x power. Besides, with the 6.5 prc you’ll have no problem ever getting a spinner to go around.