• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6.5 prc in vanguard long action?

trdjohn

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Jun 17, 2019
NE IL
I realize it's a short action cartridge, and many factory rifles work with factory loads. Been searching/reading all I can, but so far haven't found definitive answer, just vague references that it works in long actions, but no details how well in LA, or exact mods needed to be made to make them work.

I have a long action 270 win Weatherby Vanguard, deciding whether to sell it, or convert it to 6.5 prc. I found a weatherby long action, magnum face bolt to replace the LA standard. I figured I could order a Howage barrel to replace the factory one. I do reload, so not totally reliant on factory ammo.

Just wondering how 6.5 prc will feed in a long action hinged box with Hornady 143 ELDX, or Berger 140 VLD hunting? My Vanguard LA box is ~ 3.600". Or any issues feeding out of an AICS LA mag, if I decide to replace the stock w/ chassis?

Obviously, it's nearly impossible to find components, anyone have a couple worn out 6.5 prc cases they could part with so I could make up dummy rounds to see how it may feed in my box mag?

How much have you found the magnum bolt for? Maybe just start with a barreled action from Brownells.

$120 for the used bolt, brownells doesn't seem to stock the prc in 6.5, only seen them in 300 prc barreled actions

$120 for the used bolt, brownells doesn't seem to stock the prc in 6.5, only seen them in 300 prc barreled actions
Brownells just added the Howa 6.5prc to the lineup in the last 2-3 days, of course it sold out instantly. It only has a 24" sporter barrel though. I could have sworn I saw on some forum that a Howa rep had said their 6.5prc was based on their long action, but I'd take that with a bucket of salt. I just sent a message to them to get official word before I order a chassis.

yeah I saw that at brownells today, when I was looking for something else there.

weatherby has 24" 6.5 prc in short action, the oal matches 6.5 creedmoor oal, both those are only half inch shorter than 270 win, 3006 standard actions with 24" bbl. I'd be surprised if howa did something different than what they sell weatherby, the Japanese are all about standardization

Just today, i got an email from Davidson’s Gallery of Guns. They have a Weatherby Vanguard in 6.5 PRC. Locally it is priced at a buck-25 below $500.00. You could hardly rebarreled your current Weatherby for that.

Check it out.

I realize it's a short action cartridge, and many factory rifles work with factory loads. Been searching/reading all I can, but so far haven't found definitive answer, just vague references that it works in long actions, but no details how well in LA, or exact mods needed to be made to make them work.

I have a long action 270 win Weatherby Vanguard, deciding whether to sell it, or convert it to 6.5 prc. I found a weatherby long action, magnum face bolt to replace the LA standard. I figured I could order a Howage barrel to replace the factory one. I do reload, so not totally reliant on factory ammo.

Just wondering how 6.5 prc will feed in a long action hinged box with Hornady 143 ELDX, or Berger 140 VLD hunting? My Vanguard LA box is ~ 3.600". Or any issues feeding out of an AICS LA mag, if I decide to replace the stock w/ chassis?

Obviously, it's nearly impossible to find components, anyone have a couple worn out 6.5 prc cases they could part with so I could make up dummy rounds to see how it may feed in my box mag?
Got word back from Howa, said their PRC calibers are based on long action. The weatherby vanguard is the same action as the Howa so long action should be fine.

Last edited: