• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6.5 PRC JGS AW2 DIE HELP

Longgun-308

Private
Minuteman
Aug 11, 2019
Hi everyone, my new rifle is being built in a 6.5 prc with an aw2 reamer. I was curious about the dies. I’ve been shoulder bumping fired brass with Forsters shoulder bump die for all my other rifles, and I want to full length resize and should bump for the 6.5 prc. Would Reddings match s dies work for that reamed chamber or do I need to order complete custom dies. I plan on ordering dies from whidden after I get fired brass but it gonna be a couple months and the lead times for whidden are 10 weeks right now. So would saami spec Redding dies work or anyone other dies? I can’t really find any information that says it will be a problem. Any help is much appreciated

Normal dies work fine with AW2 chambers. My favorite is Short Action Custom dies, who offer an AW2 version. (which again is not needed, but Mark offers specifically for those who are using AW cut chambers)

Normal dies work fine with AW2 chambers. My favorite is Short Action Custom dies, who offer an AW2 version. (which again is not needed, but Mark offers specifically for those who are using AW cut chambers)
Is that something you have to custom order from them?

Interesting- I went on their website and see they don't list the AW version any more. Previously you could choose between 6.5 PRC or AW version. (I have the AW)

Not sure if they decided wasn't demand or wasn't needed. The SAC dies are my favorite, if interested I would contact them on what they recommend.

Interesting- I went on their website and see they don't list the AW version any more. Previously you could choose between 6.5 PRC or AW version. (I have the AW)

Not sure if they decided wasn't demand or wasn't needed. The SAC dies are my favorite, if interested I would contact them on what they recommend.
Don’t know that they had Alex Wheeler’s blessing to label it as the AW, was discussed over on long range only a while back

Dumb question but what is the difference between the 2 cartridges
Same cartridge, different chamber dimensions. The AW2 reamer cuts a chamber that is slightly larger near the base (typically measured at the 0.200" line away from the case head) so that a standard die can resize the bottom area of the case down small enough to have adequate clearance near the case base.

The original SAAMI design, per Alex Wheeler (and a fair number of reloaders' experiences), leaves sufficient room for SAAMI-spec brass, but after several reloadings the brass grows and the die can't squeeze it back down to SAAMI spec because the case web is basically the same size, and prevents using a true "small base" die to squeeze it either.

There are forums discussing this, you can Google it and read to your heart's content.

Can I ask what forums? I’m interested just getting started in this forum about engaging I’m interested in what advantages and disadvantages both have to offer

Can I ask what forums? I’m interested just getting started in this forum about engaging I’m interested in what advantages and disadvantages both have to offer

Reactions: TheOfficeT-Rex
Hi everyone, my new rifle is being built in a 6.5 prc with an aw2 reamer. I was curious about the dies. I’ve been shoulder bumping fired brass with Forsters shoulder bump die for all my other rifles, and I want to full length resize and should bump for the 6.5 prc. Would Reddings match s dies work for that reamed chamber or do I need to order complete custom dies. I plan on ordering dies from whidden after I get fired brass but it gonna be a couple months and the lead times for whidden are 10 weeks right now. So would saami spec Redding dies work or anyone other dies? I can’t really find any information that says it will be a problem. Any help is much appreciated
I have a handful of prc chambers based of the aw web dimension, I use bullet central micron dies, and have used RCBS matchmaster. Both with success.