• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

6.5 PRC Long Range Hunting Build

Jeremiah Johnson

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Oct 19, 2019
Texas
Hey guys I have started my light weight PRC build. Just purchased Action and Barrel since they were available and going to start piecing together the rest. This will be a long range hunting build. I have narrowed down lots of the items but open to suggestions for the others.

Purchased:
Defiance Tenacity Short Action 32oz
Proof 6.5 Carbon 22" barrel 36oz

Looking at options on the rest:

Stocks:
AG Alpine Hunter
McMillan Game Warden
Manner is too long to wait unless someone can find a left handed one lying around
Ideas?
Ultralight Chassis Route?

XLR Magnesium
MAP Ultralight

Bottom Metal want detachable magazine:
Hawkins M5 Hunter 12-16oz
other ideas?

Trigger
Trigger tech 2.2oz
Timney
Jewell

Scope Rings
Seekins 2.5oz
Nightforce
suggestions?

Optic $2000 range
Go light with:
Nightforce NX8 4-32
Eotech Vudu 5-25 (already own an on AR10)

Better glass with:
Nightforce Atacr 5-25 35oz
Leica PRS 5-30 (have on different rifle and it is amazing)
What else?

Weight minus the muzzle device-
total weight with Nightforce NX8 = 8.29lbs
total weight with Leica or Atacr= 8.9lbs

Muzzle Device
Dead Air Nomad (already ordered for my AR) 14oz
Thunderbeast 7 - 11.5oz
Q Full Nelson 16oz
Lighter Weight Suggestions?

Weight with suppressor
NX8 plus Nomad- 9.17lbs
Leica/Atacr plus Nomad- 9.78lbs

Last edited:
Hey guys I have started my light weight PRC build. Just purchased Action and Barrel since they were available and going to start piecing together the rest. This will be a long range hunting build. I have narrowed down lots of the items but open to suggestions for the others.

Purchased:
Defiance Tenacity Short Action 32oz
Proof 6.5 Carbon 22" barrel 36oz

Looking at options on the rest:

Stocks:
AG Alpine Hunter
McMillan Game Warden
Manner is too long to wait unless someone can find a left handed one lying around
Ideas?
Ultralight Chassis Route?

XLR Magnesium
MAP Ultralight

Bottom Metal want detachable magazine:
Hawkins M5 Hunter 12-16oz
other ideas?

Trigger
Trigger tech 2.2oz
Timney
Jewell

Scope Rings
Seekins 2.5oz
Nightforce
suggestions?

Optic $2000 range
Go light with:
Nightforce NX8 4-32
Eotech Vudu 5-25 (already own an on AR10)

Better glass with:
Nightforce Atacr 5-25 35oz
Leica PRS 5-30 (have on different rifle and it is amazing)
What else?

Weight minus the muzzle device-
total weight with Nightforce NX8 = 8.29lbs
total weight with Leica or Atacr= 8.9lbs

Muzzle Device
Dead Air Nomad (already ordered for my AR) 14oz
Thunderbeast 7 - 11.5oz
Q Full Nelson 16oz
Lighter Weight Suggestions?

Weight with suppressor
NX8 plus Nomad- 9.17lbs
Leica/Atacr plus Nomad- 9.78lbs
It'll be a nice setup
Couple ideas for you to consider:

I know you have the action but I'd really suggest selling it, and using a Defiance ANTI med length action.
I just built a 7 wsm on a LA ANTI and its awesome
You'll shave almost 10 oz off your setup which will pretty much offset the weight of the suppressor, plus the prc is kinda long to really do well in a SA with some bullets.
I have a 6.5 saum (which is a shorter case than the PRC and it barely fits in my sa mag with 142's throated out.

Lastly if weight is a concern, you'll be much lighter going with BDL bottom metal

For stocks
I like the McMillan Game Hunter
But really like the carbon hunter from Allterra Arms

Reactions: Jeremiah Johnson
Thanks for the Response.

Anti would be lighter, but the $$ savings allowed be to get the carbon barrel! haha Maybe I should have gone Anti, but it is already ordered.

BDL is probably a better choice for weight. I am still torn there. I am sure it will be a coin flip to when I order my stock and I will just roll with it.

I currently have a McMillan Game Warden on a different rifle, which is close to the Game Hunter. I like it a lot. AG gave me only a 3-6 week lead time. I will have to see how long the McMillan is. My last one was 3 months.

I think true short action from a magazine will give you issues with the PRC. If you want to stick with short action, and need a detachable magazine look at 6.5 SST.

My alpine hunter is nice, but it doesn't fit me as well as my game hunter. Just remember to allow for the weight of bedding material. My AG came out a bit heavier than expected after bedding, due to some oversized inlet recesses.

I've been told about issues on the jewell with freezing conditions, but I've got no experience with them. I like triggertech

I like the NX8 pick. Jut know the top end magnification is probably not all that useful for hunting. I went with Mark 5 3-18's on my hunting rifles

I think true short action from a magazine will give you issues with the PRC. If you want to stick with short action, and need a detachable magazine look at 6.5 SST.

My alpine hunter is nice, but it doesn't fit me as well as my game hunter. Just remember to allow for the weight of bedding material. My AG came out a bit heavier than expected after bedding, due to some oversized inlet recesses.

I've been told about issues on the jewell with freezing conditions, but I've got no experience with them. I like trigger tech

I like the NX8 pick. Jut know the top end magnification is probably not all that useful for hunting. I went with Mark 5 3-18's on my hunting rifles

My gunsmith does a lot of them in Short Action DBM. So luckily they will be doing the fitting and have had success with it. Thanks for the info. Trigger Tech it is. I want to see some other scopes as well. I live in a smaller town so not many places to see good glass to compare.

Looks like I am leaning NX8, AG Alpine Hunter Stock and Hawkins DBM and Trigger Tech Trigger.

I have a DeadAir Nomad about 9months into tax stamp Jail for my AR10, could use it for this as well. I am tempted to add a titanium light weight suppressor and put the Nomad on the AR. Any suggestions on a Titanium suppressor for this application? Heard Thunderbeast, but they seem to be sold out everywhere. No telling when I'd be able to order. Add the 6-12month wait on Taxstamp, it will be a long time.

Just my 2 cents, IMO you'll be handicapping yourself with a 22" in the 6.5PRC if you're after the LR aspect.

If you wanna just can it, go for it, for something compact-ish in 6.5PRC.

This is not at all about me, but I literally just spent a year going through all this and it might help drive some of your decisions... It turned out to be ultra accurate and just excellent. I hope your project comes along well too brother!

Action: Curtis Custom - Axiom, Short Action, pinned 20 moa rail and recoil lug
Barrel: Proof Research, Carbon. 24" 1:7.5" Sendero
Brake: Area419 Sidewinder M18x1
Stock: AG Composite, carbon, Chalk Branch with QD flush cups on side and atlas 3" rail for bipod and QD sling (excellent shape, very comfortable vertical style grip and nice shaped front end for shooting off a pack and slinging, extremely happy with this stock!)
Rings: Nightforce low 6 bolt ultralite (light, solid)
Scope: Nightforce NX8, 4-32, Tremor3 (excellent scope, NOT an ATACR, but it's very tactile and clean)
Bottom Metal: Hawkins orbendorf hinged floorplate (very sleek, works well with a sling, no magazine hanging out the bottom)
Trigger: Triggertech diamond, flat shoe (diamond isn't required, but it was the only TT available at the time)
Magazine: Wyatt PRC mag box and follower (if you go internal you'll probably want to look at this)
Bipod: Atlas V8 PSR with spiked feet from Ckye Pod

Chambered specifically for Hornady factory 143gr ELDX Precision Hunter.
Mag holds 2 internally with 1 in the chamber.
Shoots sub .5 MOA all day, it's the most accurate rifle I've ever owned.

Weighs 4.5kg empty without bipod.

PRC.jpg

Last edited:
Nice build. Thanks for sharing! Very similar to what I’m trying to make mine.
Any regrets or wishes?

Reactions: 96C
Nice build. Thanks for sharing! Very similar to what I’m trying to make mine.
Any regrets or wishes?

Thanks man, it came up nicely, it was an emotional journey of discovery :ROFLMAO: got it finished, straight into 6 months of Corona lockdown, unable to shoot it!

Regrets:
- In hindsight, it would have been good to work off a medium length or even a long action for down the track. At least with a medium length action seating depth would never be an issue with longer projectiles. Otherwise possibly a more open top cut short action to really get your thumb in there to drop and push the rounds down into the mag. There isn't much room to top load these rounds in the Axiom, the PRC are quite large in diameter when being pushed into a SA. I have to pop the mag base plate and manually squeeze the follower down so they fall into the mag to load the two rounds.

Wishes:
- I haven't ruled out being able to swap this rifle in and out of a chassis for longer range field comps over in New Zealand. I like the idea of dropping the action into an AI AXSR chassis when they become available.

Keen to see what you end up with man, keep me posted.

I did something similar to this. I used an Axial precision stock and had a 20" proof barrel so it is handier with a suppressor. I topped it with a 4-16 ATACR and in my opinion that scope is way too heavy. The rifle is now top heavy and it lacks balance. I am probably going to replace it with something like a 3-18 Mark 5 and lighter rings to shave some weight up high. If you haven't seen the Axial stocks, they are pretty cool too.

What magazine would y'all recommend for Hawkins M5 BDM. I know they are AICS but any suggestions?
or

Sounds like you have a good idea of what gear to buy. If it was me I would go with the XLR chassis, Leupold mark 5hd 3-18x44 scope, and a silencer tech 6.5 single or double baffle suppressor(best suppressor for the price).

Accurate mag

or

Sounds like you have a good idea of what gear to buy. If it was me I would go with the XLR chassis, Leupold mark 5hd 3-18x44 scope, and a silencer tech 6.5 single or double baffle suppressor(best suppressor for the price).

I might still get a XLR Chassis down the road to swap out for PRS if the build fits. Already ordered the AG Alpine hunter

Reactions: nrspence
Looks like I am leaning NX8, AG Alpine Hunter Stock and Hawkins DBM and Trigger Tech Trigger.

I have a DeadAir Nomad about 9months into tax stamp Jail for my AR10, could use it for this as well. I am tempted to add a titanium light weight suppressor and put the Nomad on the AR. Any suggestions on a Titanium suppressor for this application? Heard Thunderbeast, but they seem to be sold out everywhere. No telling when I'd be able to order. Add the 6-12month wait on Taxstamp, it will be a long time.
I have a Banish 30 suppressor fron Silencer Central awaiting approval.
I spoke with a few guys running them and they had nothing but great things to say.
They're made by Mac Brothers, and weighs about 10 oz direct thread

Hey guys! First post that I feel I can contribute to. I have a build that I just finished that is pretty similar to what you are looking to do. Here are the specs to give you an idea on components vs. finished weight.

IMG-1108.jpg

IMG-1109.jpg

6.5 PRC
Defiance Tenacity Long Action
24" Proof Sendero Contour
McMillan Game Hunter Stock
Area 419 Hellfire Brake
Triggertech Primary trigger
Zeiss Conquest V4 4-16x50
Nightforce .885" rings
Finished Weight: 9.25lbs

Hey guys! First post that I feel I can contribute to. I have a build that I just finished that is pretty similar to what you are looking to do. Here are the specs to give you an idea on components vs. finished weight.

View attachment 7470736
View attachment 7470737

6.5 PRC
Defiance Tenacity Long Action
24" Proof Sendero Contour
McMillan Game Hunter Stock
Area 419 Hellfire Brake
Triggertech Primary trigger
Zeiss Conquest V4 4-16x50
Nightforce .885" rings
Finished Weight: 9.25lbs

That looks like this year's APR special build

I have the Banish 30 and it is super quiet and 100% titanium. It can ran in a 9" or 7" configuration. However, I use the direct thread since I don't shoot unsuppressed anymore. They offer payment plans and also are extremely helpful with filling out the paperwork....they will mail it to your house once approved. I've bought 4 suppressors from them over the years. But, there are plenty other options out there now. Just what I have experience with.

Banish 30 – Silencer Central

Finished!
6.5 PRC Alamo Build includes

Defiance Tenacity Action
AG Composite Stock (Custom Painted by Alamo)
Trigger Tech Diamond
22" Proof Sendero Barrel
Hawkins DBM Bottom Metal
Nightforce High Rings
Nightforce NX8 4-32x50
Area 419 Muzzle device and suppressor QD Adaptor
DeadAir Nomad Suppressor with E-Brake
DB3181A7-2C9E-44F0-AD42-0593B235C25D.jpeg
A79A09C4-19C1-477E-A917-BFD4DF1AAC37.jpeg