• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6.5 PRC or 7 saum/SS/MAX

Ajrich

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Dec 13, 2018
What would you do?
I'm debating building another rifle since I have a warranty barrel coming my way or just getting a 28" back up barrel for the 6.5 PRC.
I currently run a 6.5 PRC with a 27" K&P shooting 156 bergers very well at 2985 fps.
My goal if i build another rifle would be a budget elr build with decent barrel life. As of now I dont plan to get much past 2000 yards.
I'm leaning towards a 7 Max or 7 SS and running 185 rdfs and or 195 bergers. Ballistics out to a mile are extremely close between the 156 in prc and the 195 at 2900 fps. Do you think it's worth the money for the 7? Am I going to see alot more splash with the extra 39 grains or any other big gains by going with the 7? The 7 barrel would be a 8 twist 28"
I'd appreciate any input thanks!

I would save my money and just shot the 6.5PRC. Or spend the money going to venues where you can shot the 6.5 out to 2000 yds. Having another rifle might actually be counterproductive because it means you get to know the ones you have LESS well.

Reactions: 42N8 1 and Ajrich
Won’t see much difference with anything but your wallet. May have to jump up to a 30cal to notice more splash.
Corse if your wanting a new gun I wouldn’t talk ya out of it

Reactions: 42N8 1 and Ajrich
Splash of a 190 is definitely better than the 6.5’s.
Is it a huge difference?
No
Performance of my 7 saum at a bit over 2000 was excellent.
That was this winter in wet conditions.
I’m possibly setting a target this week at 2300 and give that a go.
Recoil is pretty mild and it’s very pleasant to shoot.

Reactions: Ajrich
Two real reasons to shoot 6.5PRC. One is personal preference. Two is factory ammo.

I really like the Sherman cartridges. I have a 7ss (175 elite hunter at 3000) and a 300 sherman magnum (215 hybrid at 3100 in Hornady brass) with carbon barrels for hunting and got a 6.5ss (150smk at 3100)with a 28 inch barrel to replace my 300wm for longer range steel shooting. If your sticking with a short action then the 6.5ss and 7ss will both be so close to a 6.5prc that it's not worth the cost of new dies and brass. If on the other hand you wanted to go to a long action then I'd say go with a 7 sherman magnum to shoot the 190 class bullets around 3100fps or the 30 sherman mag and sling 215 hybrids over 3100 with the new ADG brass.

Edit- if you want to go long action and not dive all the way into the Sherman wildcats then a 27 nosler throated long to shoot the 190+ bullets would work too.

All that being said I have a couple 6 dashers rifles that are similar to each other and use them all when I go to the range so I don’t have to take a break from shooting while a barrel cools down so if you want multiples of the same caliber who am I to judge.

Last edited:
Reactions: jasent
I really like the Sherman cartridges. I have a 7ss and a 300 sherman magnum with carbon barrels for hunting and got a 6.5ss with a 28 inch barrel to replace my 300wm for longer range steel shooting. If your sticking with a short action then the 6.5ss and 7ss will both be so close to a 6.5prc that it's not worth the cost of new dies and brass. If on the other hand you wanted to go to a long action then I'd say go with a 7 sherman magnum to shot the 190 class bullets around 3100fps or the 30 sherman mag and sling 215 hybrids over 3100 with the new ADG brass.
I am with him, ^^^, has action length been considered? No reason to shoot a 7 saum in a short action.

I really like the Sherman cartridges. I have a 7ss (175 elite hunter at 3000) and a 300 sherman magnum (215 hybrid at 3100 in Hornady brass) with carbon barrels for hunting and got a 6.5ss (150smk at 3100)with a 28 inch barrel to replace my 300wm for longer range steel shooting. If your sticking with a short action then the 6.5ss and 7ss will both be so close to a 6.5prc that it's not worth the cost of new dies and brass. If on the other hand you wanted to go to a long action then I'd say go with a 7 sherman magnum to shoot the 190 class bullets around 3100fps or the 30 sherman mag and sling 215 hybrids over 3100 with the new ADG brass.

Edit- if you want to go long action and not dive all the way into the Sherman wildcats then a 27 nosler throated long to shoot the 190+ bullets would work too.

All that being said I have a couple 6 dashers rifles that are similar to each other and use them all when I go to the range so I don’t have to take a break from shooting while a barrel cools down.

Thanks for the input. I have been running tikka actions for my last few builds so I would likely go that route again. I'm mainly looking to get the most performance without sacrificing alot of barrel life. How long do you figure a 190 at 3100 would last in the SM? 1100 rounds?

I had my 25 SST out today with a 131 and my 6.5 prc with 156's at 1650 yards and I really couldnt tell a difference between the two as far as splash goes. Plenty of times where I couldnt see either but mirage was a bitch today.

I’m surprised how many folks are concerned with barrel life. Costs way more to burn out a barrel than it does to replace one. Barrels are like tires. You wouldn’t go with a smaller motor to save tires on a hot rod?
True, but for me it's the time more than the cost. I have kids and work shift work so usually I cant get away for several hours to fire form brass and develop a load and have time to let barrel cool in between, it's done over multiple trips. So once I get a good load I'd like it to shoot for awhile! Because when I do get a range day I shoot alot!

Building a 7 Max on a Lone Peak Ti LA. Proof 1-8 190/195 loaded at 3.200 plus. My 6.5 PRC barrel wasn't looking good w a little over 800 rounds down the tube.

True, but for me it's the time more than the cost. I have kids and work shift work so usually I cant get away for several hours to fire form brass and develop a load and have time to let barrel cool in between, it's done over multiple trips. So once I get a good load I'd like it to shoot for awhile! Because when I do get a range day I shoot alot!
Your worried about barrel life but want a new build. Why not just get 3 barrels in 6.5 prc. You can use the same dies and brass and just screw on a new one when one is bad???? Same dies same brass what ever. Your concerned about penny’s but happy to drop dollars. This makes no sense at all. Whole new build means new scope, new stock, new action.... ect. Literally money ahead just getting new barrels. It’s your money and I won’t talk you out of it but you won’t get better performance with out costing extra money and time. Jme

Reactions: BCX
If your looking for barrel life stick to a 308. Performance comes w a cost!!
07CD6E61-CC9D-4E60-9898-F0149E1CB187.gif

Guys I'm not looking for 2000 rounds just dont want to burn one out in 6-700. I'd be plenty happy with 1000 rounds

Building a 7 Max on a Lone Peak Ti LA. Proof 1-8 190/195 loaded at 3.200 plus. My 6.5 PRC barrel wasn't looking good w a little over 800 rounds down the tube.
PM inbound

Mostly 180’s at 2960.
Now 190’s at 2850 because it shoots so well but I’ve had them at 2920
I get similar with my 7 SAUM short action Bighorn TL2 with 26” Chanlynn 1:9 barrel chambered to shoot 180’s. Absolutely loves the heavies, 175 ELD-X at 2935ish is money for a reliable accurate hunting load (had them at 3000 but not as accurate). Berger Hybrid 180’s in the 2970 area. Berger and Hornady’s loving H1000 and COAL between 2.945 and 2.955 with realiable feed through Alpha AICS magazines.

ive pondered the 6.5 PRC but I love the balance of the heavy 7mm and their wind bucking ability plus I like to hunt elk and appreciate the additional energy, though the PRC maintains plenty of energy at ranges I’d shoot an animal at, its mostly the wind.

Used to be a 30 cal only guy but saw the light after getting a custom 7 WSM but had issues with the heavies and short action magazine so decided my next build would be a 7 SAUM after boatloads of research and haven’t looked back.

Just bought an AI AT short action that I am quickly growing very fond of and am seriously considering having trophyhunter mod an AI bolt to magnum boltface and have a 28” Bartlein spun up to get a sweet 2000yd and occasional 1.5 mile rig with a short action 7 SAUM.

I’ve looked at the Sherman’s but just not convinced I need one to do what I’m wanting to do as the SAUM has exceeded my expectations. Norma brass has been great and even R-P has held up fairly well though hot loads have loosened the primer pockets. Thought of ADG 7 SAUM brass but with Norma doing so well not sure it’s worth the extra money.

For thoughts on Sherman @5RWill has built one and he loves it.

I get similar with my 7 SAUM short action Bighorn TL2 with 26” Chanlynn 1:9 barrel chambered to shoot 180’s. Absolutely loves the heavies, 175 ELD-X at 2935ish is money for a reliable accurate hunting load (had them at 3000 but not as accurate). Berger Hybrid 180’s in the 2970 area. Berger and Hornady’s loving H1000 and COAL between 2.945 and 2.955 with realiable feed through Alpha AICS magazines.

ive pondered the 6.5 PRC but I love the balance of the heavy 7mm and their wind bucking ability plus I like to hunt elk and appreciate the additional energy, though the PRC maintains plenty of energy at ranges I’d shoot an animal at, its mostly the wind.

Used to be a 30 cal only guy but saw the light after getting a custom 7 WSM but had issues with the heavies and short action magazine so decided my next build would be a 7 SAUM after boatloads of research and haven’t looked back.

Just bought an AI AT short action that I am quickly growing very fond of and am seriously considering having trophyhunter mod an AI bolt to magnum boltface and have a 28” Bartlein spun up to get a sweet 2000yd and occasional 1.5 mile rig with a short action 7 SAUM.

I’ve looked at the Sherman’s but just not convinced I need one to do what I’m wanting to do as the SAUM has exceeded my expectations. Norma brass has been great and even R-P has held up fairly well though hot loads have loosened the primer pockets. Thought of ADG 7 SAUM brass but with Norma doing so well not sure it’s worth the extra money.

For thoughts on Sherman @5RWill has built one and he loves it.
Lol
Pretty much the same experience and thoughts.
It’s a fantastic cartridge.

Do you think a 7 saum will run a 190 with moderate pressure @ 2950 with a 28" tube?

Last edited:
Do you think a 7 saum run a 190 with moderate pressure @ 2950 with a 28" tube?
Everything I have been told (by those who know more than me) is not to run heavier (or rather longer) bullets than 180 in a short action. Not that the SAUM couldn't shoot them but you get into issues when the base of the bullet extends too far beyond the neck/shoulder junction and due to the limited COAL with short action magazines, the heavier bullets have to be seated deeper.

Everything I have been told (by those who know more than me) is not to run heavier (or rather longer) bullets than 180 in a short action. Not that the SAUM couldn't shoot them but you get into issues when the base of the bullet extends too far beyond the neck/shoulder junction and due to the limited COAL with short action magazines, the heavier bullets have to be seated deeper.
Thanks! I also just scrolled back and realized I misread steelheads post about his 190s going 2920.
I think I've made up my mind. I just bought 500 153.5 bergers which should finish off the barrel in my PRC. Then I will rebarrel to a 7 Saum or something similar. Shouldnt be out much if I sell my dies, and brass will be about done after 500 rounds anyways.
So for 180s and 190s would you go 1:8? Or 8.5?
I will run these in a tikka action with room for 3.7 in accurate mag.

Last edited:
Reactions: jasent
Thanks! I also just scrolled back and realized I misread steelheads post about his 190s going 2920.
I think I've made up my mind. I just bought 500 153.5 bergers which should finish off the barrel in my PRC. Then I will rebarrel to a 7 Saum or something similar. Shouldnt be out much if I sell my dies, and brass will be about done after 500 rounds anyways.

I use a 8 twist for my 7ss. It shoots the 175,180 and 195 eol just fine. Never got much past testing with the 195 since they maxed out on pressure at 2740ish with R26.

Attachments

• 687B793E-A5F5-4CD9-9954-1A5B7F2AC2E3.jpeg
    687B793E-A5F5-4CD9-9954-1A5B7F2AC2E3.jpeg
    593.3 KB · Views: 103
I use a 8 twist for my 7ss. It shoots the 175,180 and 195 eol just fine. Never got much past testing with the 195 since they maxed out on pressure at 2740ish with R26.
Thanks for the info! have you tried N570 at all? Rich is pretty big on that stuff

I’d do 1-8
180’s can work in a short action pretty well.
190’s really should be a long action if you want to mag load.
I single feed 190’s and mag feed 168’s or 170’s.

I’d do 1-8
180’s can work in a short action pretty well.
190’s really should be a long action if you want to mag load.
I single feed 190’s and mag feed 168’s or 170’s.
What powder were you getting 2920 with the 190s?

Thanks for the info! have you tried N570 at all? Rich is pretty big on that stuff

I had some of that and 565 on back order for 4 months and finally cancelled when I got a bunch of H1000, 8133 and R26 in. R26 seems to be the perfect powder for 7SS case and I use H1000 in the sherman magnums currently but want to try the 8133.

My 7 SAUM really likes Re-25 and H1000 for the heavies. I've tried H4831sc with 168's and it does well but H1000 does too so don't see a real reason to load up on H4831sc. Re-26 has been elusive around here but hoping to get my hands on some soon and play around with it, a little slower than H1000 IIRC.

So with a Tikka action which would you choose? I've narrowed it down 7wsm,7-300wsm, or 7 saum
I can get 300 pieces of hornady virgin brass and dies for 7 wsm very cheap. But it's still hornady brass.
7-300 has a longer neck which should be easier on the throat.
Or 7 saum just due to adg brass?

Would a 7 saum throated for a 190 put me right with the wsm in velocity?
Thanks

Last edited:
So with a Tikka action which would you choose? I've narrowed it down 7wsm,7-300wsm, or 7 saum
I can get 300 pieces of hornady virgin brass and dies for 7 wsm very cheap. But it's still hornady brass.
7-300 has a longer neck which should be easier on the throat.
Or 7 saum just due to adg brass?

Would a 7 saum throated for a 190 put me right with the wsm in velocity?
Thanks
7 WSM has a bit more capacity
7/300 WSM is slightly more than 7 saum.
The ADG 7 saum brass is fantastic.
To me the speed difference is a non issue.
2850ish is a nice, consistent and mild in my 7 saum loaded at 3.1ish with 190 Berger’s.
I’ve had them over 2900 without pressure signs.
If you want speed get a 7 max.

Oh how i wish there was factory ammo options for 7 SAUM or 300WSM. Not sure why federal prime or hornady doesnt get into match ammo for the short action magnums
Someone like copper Creek can do it.

You may be surprised at how little you need to spend and get reloading with great results.

That's awesome! Are you still having good luck with the A-tips?

Oh how i wish there was factory ammo options for 7 SAUM or 300WSM. Not sure why federal prime or hornady doesnt get into match ammo for the short action magnums
It's not factory... it's better than factory! I'm having McCourt (@FCS ) load my 7 SAUM and have been really happy.

Reactions: Sniperwannabee