• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6.5 PRC probs

Brooks Bell

Private
Minuteman
Oct 16, 2022
Godley, TX
I’m building a 6.5 PRC bolt gun and I just ran into the question of this. Most hand loads seem to be around 2.990 coal and the best AICS mag I can find is 2.955. Have you guys remedied this or is it possible to run a long action aics in a m5 bottom metal? I’m pretty new to this, also already have a Bighorn Origin in SA with magnum bolt face. Should I scrap the 6.5 all together or press on?

Press on.

What bullet are you planning on using?

Most AICS mags w/o front binder plate will allow 2.970” OAL to feed just fine from magazine. What magazine do you have that limits you to 2.955” max OAL?

Press on.

What bullet are you planning on using?

Most AICS mags w/o front binder plate will allow 2.970” OAL to feed just fine from magazine. What magazine do you have that limits you to 2.955” max OAL?
The mdt magazines say 2.960 withought binder plate. Can’t find any longer ones. I’m just worried when I reload because a lot of the books say 2.990 for 143 eldx. Probably won’t shoot anything lower than 123 grain but hornady shows like a 135 being as big as I could go on COAL

Don’t over think this.
143 ELD-X doesn’t need to be 2.990 to shoot well.
153.5 Berger @ 2.940” OAL shoots really well from 6.5 PRC.

You don’t need to be touching lands, 0.005” off lands or 0.020” off lands w/143 ELD-X for bullet to shoot straight.
2.955” OAL will work just fine.

Just measured two Accurate WSM mags: 2.970 & 2.980

It’ll work, press on, no worries.

Reactions: Junco Grande
Don’t over think this.
143 ELD-X doesn’t need to be 2.990 to shoot well.
153.5 Berger @ 2.940” OAL shoots really well from 6.5 PRC.

You don’t need to be touching lands, 0.005” off lands or 0.020” off lands w/143 ELD-X for bullet to shoot straight.
2.955” OAL will work just fine.

Just measured two Accurate WSM mags: 2.970 & 2.980

It’ll work, press on, no worries.
Thanks, I looked at some more load data and figured I’d be good too. I was just worried to spend 3k and be shit outta luck on mags lol.

143x at 2.90 works great for me. Got tired of bumping the mag at 2.950. From what i read the conventional wisdom on seating depth is up for discussion.

Reactions: TylerN