• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6.5 prc vs 6.5 SS

Kspence49

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Jul 12, 2022
Wyoming
Looking to add an intermediate magnum and have narrowed it down to these two cartridges. The advantages of the PRC is I can get off the shelf prefit barrels for my action, and it’s popular so parts are available, multiple brass options, etc. The cons are I’ve heard the Berger 156s really should be in a long action. The Sherman short can run the 156s in a true short action length, cons are the 40* shoulders can struggle a bit with mag feeding, it’s a more obscure cartridge and I believe it’s not SAAMI. Lapua brass vs the ADG brass on Sherman’s website are about the same cost. Planning to reload for both, planning to run a 20-22” barrel with a can, and load using H1000

Don't know if it helps, and it's an apples to oranges, but I've never had issues with 243ai or 22-250ai feeding from aics mags.

Looking to add an intermediate magnum and have narrowed it down to these two cartridges. The advantages of the PRC is I can get off the shelf prefit barrels for my action, and it’s popular so parts are available, multiple brass options, etc. The cons are I’ve heard the Berger 156s really should be in a long action. The Sherman short can run the 156s in a true short action length, cons are the 40* shoulders can struggle a bit with mag feeding, it’s a more obscure cartridge and I believe it’s not SAAMI. Lapua brass vs the ADG brass on Sherman’s website are about the same cost. Planning to reload for both, planning to run a 20-22” barrel with a can, and load using H1000
For loading the longest heavies in a SA skip the SS. I'd be comparing the 6.5PRC to the Sherman 6.5 SST. The SST's are a touch shorter & have a 30 degree shoulder.
1712474084018.png

I actually just built a 6.5PRC today for NRL open light.
Pre fit barrels and Redding dies skewed my decision in the PRC direction.
ADG brass is $25 cheaper per 50 for the PRC + other brass options is nice.

1712475427118.jpeg

For loading the longest heavies in a SA skip the SS. I'd be comparing the 6.5PRC to the Sherman 6.5 SST. The SST's are a touch shorter & have a 30 degree shoulder.
View attachment 8390679

I actually just built a 6.5PRC today for NRL open light.
Pre fit barrels and Redding dies skewed my decision in the PRC direction.
ADG brass is $25 cheaper per 50 for the PRC + other brass options is nice.

View attachment 8390681
The brass options are swaying me towards PRC I think. And that’s good info on the dies I hadn’t gone quite that far… i’ll need to look into die options. Is yours on a short or long action?

The brass options are swaying me towards PRC I think. And that’s good info on the dies I hadn’t gone quite that far… i’ll need to look into die options. Is yours on a short or long action?
I'm not a big fan of Hornady dies.

Mine is on a SA & FWIW the Berger factory 156eol ammo is loaded to 2.960. Going to make a 156 dummy today and find lands.

I'm not a big fan of Hornady dies.

Mine is on a SA & FWIW the Berger factory 156eol ammo is loaded to 2.960. Going to make a 156 dummy today and find lands.
I’ve got some Redding and some RCBS matchmaster dies but I would like to stay away from hornady as well