• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6.5 Remington Magnum

bjohnson_7

Private
Minuteman
Aug 14, 2007
by the river TN
I was just lookin' around at brass on Midway and stumbled upon this cartridge. How do the ballistics compare with the other 6.5's? I'm planning on building a 6.5 sometime soon and would like to have something a little different or just go with a .260 but I dunno yet.

Re: 6.5 Remington Magnum

Very close to 6.5-284 - 6.5-06. A cartridge to look at if you have a magnum faced action. This is like the original short magnum.

Good luck

Jerry

C'boy -- I'm having one built & should be here in a couple of months. 700 mag action & a Brux barrel. Plans are to load down to 260 velocity out to 1K, bump it up for beyond. Hope it works out like that!

I'll post up when I get it.

I had one of the original Remmy 600 in this cartridge and the 350 Remington Magnum. I wish I still had both of them, but with a standard barrel set up.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jerry M</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Very close to 6.5-284 - 6.5-06. A cartridge to look at if you have a magnum faced action. This is like the original short magnum.

Good luck

Jerry </div></div>

+1 Exactly.

The 6.5RemMag was originally handicapped (like the .284Win) to being loaded to fit a SA. If you can load it long, it's pretty much a 6.5-284Win with a magnum bolt face.

Ok thats what I thought now I just need to find another remmy action. I'd like to see pics of it when you get it built titan. I found some more info on chuck hawks and from what I read you can get about 100 to 200 fps more than the 6.5-284. A guy I shoot with has a 6.5-284 and sometimes it shoots and sometimes it doesn't. I just want something consistent.

C'boy300 -- Jim See at Center Shot Rifles is building mine, check out his site, it's a good one.

I've got two 260's at present, a Rem & a Savage LRPV. Rem is for hunting & sports a Kreiger #5 contour twisted 1 in 9; Savage wears a McGowen 28 inch bull twisted 1 in 8 and shoots in the teens with 140 MK's and H4350.

My 6.5 mag will be pretty heavy wearin' a 28 inch MTU-contour Brux & a NF so I'm thinkin' recoil will be negligible, certainly not 2X unless we're talkin' hunter weight - say 9 pounds or so. Don't plan on shootin' hot loads unless it's beyond 1K. It'll be fun trying!

Rich

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Quickdraw40</div><div class="ubbcode-body">overbore. 2x the recoil for an extra 100fps? </div></div>

LMAO. 'course i shoot .264 Win mags and don't see the problem with recoil in 6.5s, spotting hits with a mid-weight with 15x scope and all.

i'd love a M600 in 6.5 RM. almost built a 6.5 RM on a M70 Classic but decided on .350 WSM instead.

sikpupi's got it right, 1 in 8 for 140-142's. What powder(s) are you using in your 264 Mag sikodog?

Thanks! I picked up an 8-pounder a while back, figured it was the best powder to start with.

RL 17 may be worth a try in the 6.5 RM also.

post some pics and do a review of your rifle when you get it. titandriver, i see Brux has a link to Center Shot Rifles on their site.