• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing 6.5 RSAUM reamer

wilson1911

Bantha Poo Doo
Supporter
Minuteman
Aug 6, 2012
Oklahoma
I have decided to build a 6.5 saum using gap's spec. Does anyone know the correct reamer to order and where I should get it from ? I looked on the PTG site and they have several different ones. My gunshop is trying to talk me into using the one he has, but its not the gap reamer.

Also, which mags are most guys running now ?

It all depends on whether you want to neck turn which I recommend and what bullet you want to shoot.

Are you running the hornady brass ? or are you converting ? I normally turns my necks on everything. I was assuming I could run the hornady brass and just skim the necks since I do not know how thick they are. If nosler/norma are the better route I can do that also. I would rather shoot the better brass. This is going to be my long range hunting rig.

I have eld/berger H vld 140's, but I would like to try the eld 147's also. I would like to stay mainstream and shoot what everybody else is.

I personally like Norma or lapua when available. It is one of the easier rounds to form and the Norma brass at least in the neck is much easier to neck down than the Remington stuff. I have the .081 freebore reamer (for the 140 bergers) that is for the neck turned brass. I believe off the top of my head the neck wall is .015 thick.

Last time a checked they had it at grizzly.com or bullets.com

I personally like Norma or lapua when available. It is one of the easier rounds to form and the Norma brass at least in the neck is much easier to neck down than the Remington stuff. I have the .081 freebore reamer (for the 140 bergers) that is for the neck turned brass. I believe off the top of my head the neck wall is .015 thick.

Last time a checked they had it at grizzly.com or bullets.com

The new standard reamer at Gap is .120 FB and then they have like a .145FB for the longer 143 or 147gr bullets.

I used the .296 neck turn ( with Norma or Rem brass) but I run the factory Hornady gap 4S brass in mine. My reamer is the .120" FB I'm currently running Hornady brass with a 140 hybrid and 61.5gr of H1000 at 3080fps with cci250 primers. I am getting about 6 firings on the brass an I'm annealing every other firing.