• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6.5?'s

richidaho

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 6, 2014
Blackfoot, ID
The 6.5 as far as I can tell shoot very well. Don't have one yet. The old one and the one I know the least about is the 6.5X55 swede. How does it compare to the rest of the 6.5x47, 6.5 creedmore, 260, 6.5 SAUM ect? Looking around the brass seams cheaper then all the rest by $20 bills. Has anyone made a good LR out of the 6.5X55 swede? Post me some photo's. Is the problem the LA requirement for this round? I have been coveting a 6.5 SAUM but I'm wondering if the 6.5X55 swede is not the way to go. With the cheaper brass and readily availability of reloading components does this not make the 6.5X55 swede the easier option? 6.5 SAUM you have to make your own brass. Very time consuming and possible errors. Looking for some thought on this one.

Thanks,
Rich L

Last edited:
I would do a modern chamber in 6.5x55. they are a lower pressure factory load. but in a new barrel and action you can load them up till you get pressure signs. 6.5 Creedmore you DO NOT have to make your own brass, lots of factory stuff.

That is just my .02 cents.

I don't think the 6.5x55 is as efficient as the newer offerings. Still a very capable caliber, but I think it's generally limited to lower chamber pressures (late 1800's design). You also need a long action, if I recall.

As far as ballistics, I think it's right in line with the .260, 6.5 Lapua, and 6.5 creedmore.

I tend not to worry about brass prices. 100 Lapua cases can last through a barrel or more. 15-20 loads per case is nothing special.

Isn't 6.5x55 a long action?

You don't have to make brass for 6.5creed.....

It really depends on what your trying to do, and what type of action you are dealing with. The 6.5X55 swede is a long action round, 6.5cm, 260, 6.5x47 are all SA chamberings. 6.5 SAUM is a short mag, so its really in a different league than the other SA 6.5s.

What is the application? Match rifle, I'd stick with the 6.5cm, 260, or 6.5x47. If you don't mind burning the poweder and you reload, 6.5 SAUM will give you more velocity.

6.5x55 is a Long action round. As far as pressure, it will hold pressure just as good as any modern round. The old Mauser actions are whats iffy when it comes to pressure.

Performance will be a bit better than .260 when loaded to the same pressure. If you do a Swede Improved it will be every bit the equal of the 6.5-284. Say 2950-3000 fps for the Improved when loaded to sane pressures using 142 SMK in a 24-26" barrel.

As you said the nice thing about Swedes is the fairly cheap Lapua brass. Set it up in a Tikka T3 or Sako M995 and youll have a very nice rifle.

If you want the highest quality brass for a 6.5, it would 6.5x47 hands down. With that youre basically talking about a stretched out 6 BR necked up to 6.5. The only brass thats probably better than 6.5x47 would be Lapua`s .220 Russian. Or maybe something from RWS.

Hey Rich,

Yep 6.5x55 is better suited to a LA. It can be loaded 50-75 fps faster than standard SA 6.5 cartridges can be in a SA. It would be a easier option for a build in LA right now.

GA precision is supposed to be coming out with 6.5 4S brass next year. Might be ready by the time your build is completed. From a SA It'll do 150-200 fps above what 6.5x55 will do in a LA. As you know my 6.5 Saum is built in a long action and with it's long barrel and long freebore it'll easily push a 140 hybrid at 3225 fps. Some of the hybrids weren't getting to the target so I slowed it down to 3125 fps.

If need be I'll turn some necks for you so you can do a 6.5 Saum.

Here's another vote for 260. Plenty of good quality brass available and very accurate. I have two; a TRG-22 and a DTA SRS. Both shoot extremely well.

TRG-22 (5 shot group)
photo4.jpg

DTA (six 5 shot groups)
SRS7-26-14.jpg

If u have a standard long action not getting any use it will make a great parent action for a 6.545 swede or 6.5odd6, they will both give you slightly more velocity say 100 to 150fps more than a 6.5 creed or 260 with comparable barrel length. It might be a fad or it might be the real deal but a lot a people on this sight are getting 264 win mag velocities out of the GA 6.5 saum with reportedly very long barrel life. In a short action u can go 6.5 creed, 260 or 6.5x 284, with the 284 giving u 150fps more velocity or more with much less barrel life. The 6.5 284 and 6.5 swede can be built in a short action but you will sacrifice maximum velocity for a slightly shorter and lighter-weight action. 6.5x55 and 6.5x06 are great rounds that can be really fun for dedictated handloaders as there are not full power factory loads available that I know of. For me, and I am contemplating another 6.5 build, I would go 6.5 creed or 6.5 sum which are both rapidly gaining popularity and factory adoption. I will go creed if I go semi auto and saum if I go bolt action. Just my 2 cents and best of luck!