• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6.5 saum Node velocity drop

Gilly

On Target
Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 27, 2009
Coloarado
Wasn’t even sure how to search this as it could be described many ways so here I am, feel free to point me in the right direction if it’s been discussed extensively.

I’m not usually one to post up load development or ladder results and say tell me what’s going on here or which load to use but this one is a little off from my norm.

6.5 saum 8 twist 26” bartlien on AXMC rifle long action long throat.
~200 rounds on barrel it has sped up and starting to work up a load for my once fired brass set back .002 using a bushing die.
H1000
150 smk

Load development has been 520 yards shoot 1 shot each charge at same POA and look for a cluster overlaid with lab radar results looking for nodes. Usually works pretty well.

My original ladder was really one small cluster so I picked a flat spot in velocity and ran with it till broke in and it was silly accurate to 1580 even had good success at 2000 yards.

Today ran a ladder from 59.2 to 61.3 in .3 grain increments (don’t try this with short freebore)

I shot 2 rounds of each charge thinking more is better. So here is the part scratching my head.

59.8 is less than 3/4 inch “group” if you will at 520 yards pretty cool. It also falls in middle of the flat cluster on target near 59.5 and 61.0. On lab radar it dips down 40 FPS slower than the charge above and below.

So
59.5- 3018
59.8- 2980
60.1- 3025

Most of the time the middle is close maybe a few FPS less than ends of nodes. The high node at 61 is nearly the same at 30 drop.

60.7- 3083
61.0- 3053 (light pressure)
61.3- 3084 (pressure)

So do you run the middle even though it’s slower? Is this common ? I’ve not seen it to this extent for sure.

Can't say I've ever seen a node drop that much speed before either. The curiosity would get the best of me and I'd have to load a little closer around the low spot in .05gn increments and see what's going on.