• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6.5 SAUM Tube Gun

brdeano

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 8, 2006
Tawas MI
SuperSeal110 and I went to the 1000yard range yesterday to shoot and another member from the 'hide that we know brought out his newest rifle that he had built over the winter.

It was a Gary Eliseo stocked Savage Target action wearing a Kreiger 30" Palma contour chambered in 6.5 SAUM. He's running the 139 Scenars at about "damn fast" over a heavy does of R-25. In the 30* temps and a 100yard zero it was running about 21MOA to get to 1000 and shooting very well. My 243AI was taking 22.25MOA to get to 1000, but the 6.5 Shamu was better in the wind.

That was the first Tube Gun that I have shot and I have to say that it was a suprisingly comfortable stock.

It's not anodized yet as he said that he wanted to make sure it shot before he spent any money on it. Hopefully BB will chime in with more details on his rifle.

65SAUMTubeGuncropped.jpg

SuperSeall110 and I were just running the same rifles we always run.

DSC_3534.jpg

I snuck 3 good shots on this one at 1000 via 243AI and then dropped the next 2 out on the edge. An MOA sized white plate with a mottled snowy background is a bitch to get on with just 10x's on top.

DSC_3517.jpg

Re: 6.5 SAUM Tube Gun

That's a lot of money laying on that table!! Looks like a fun day. How did the ballistic program do?

My 6.5SAUM went south before 500 rounds (and would quickly foul out at 100 rounds). Enjoy it while you can.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: palma</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My 6.5SAUM went south before 500 rounds (and would quickly foul out at 100 rounds). Enjoy it while you can. </div></div>

Ouch, that is pretty miserable barrel life. I bet the performance was pretty great though.

It not only looks cold it IS cold

nice shooting as always brad

that bud light stock really stands out, great choice on colors there

JCH- The ballistic program was pretty much dead on.

Palma- The owner of the 6.5 SAUM has multiple barrels already chambered/ready to screw on when they do decided to go south.

Donovan- IT was cold, but not that cold. Can't wait for 60*-70* weather.

Hi guys, Good seeing you again Mike and Brad. 6.5mm looks to have some promise. Got to laugh about the barrel life. Told the guys I was going to make a bracket to hold a spare barrel right on the gun so I'll have one handy. Will be interesting to see how long they last. Barrels aren't that big a deal for me, cost is less than a 1000 bullets and I do my own work.
Had 3 loads at the range and they all shot about the same @ 1000. 62.3gr of RL25 seemed to have a slight edge and all reached 1000 yards @ 21.25 moa. As Arnett said, white targets in the winter are hard to see. The most wind I used with the 139gr Scenar was 1.25 moa left for the day. Have no idea what you guys were running. My .300 saum would have required probably 1.75 maybe at the most.
I built this gun for the 800-1000+ Bean Bears at the range. Gun is very easy to shoot with only about 4.85lbs of recoil. I like the stock for it's ease of adjustment. Gary makes a fine kit for the Savage and Remington rifles. I really don't call the Savage a tube gun, but people do.
If the 6.5mm doesn't perform like I want. All I have to do is replace the barrel with one for my .300 saum. I think the 6.5mm will be fine with a little more work. Next trip to the range I'll play around with seating depth. This 6.5mm project has been interesting so far.

Later and stay safe, Brad

I'd love to see what the new 123 AMAX at 3300 would do to those bean bears.

Going to try some of the 140gr A-MAX when I get time. The 123's might go faster than 3300. When I put some heat into the 139gr Scenars they run 3270. The 123's will probably be too short for me to run. Running 2.320 base to ogive on the 139's.

Later, Brad

+1 on the Elisio chassis, very nice. I'm with you on the cartridge issue, i.e shoot the cartridge you want, change the barrel when needed.

Lovely rifle. I am thinking of doing another tube rifle using the new RTM in 300-338.
Another barrel burner.... but oh the joy.

Since Brad Arnett started this post, I'll do a quick range report to end it.

Returned to the range Friday for more testing. A little more serious this time. 3 loads again for tests @ 1000. Narrowed it down to 62.02gr and 62.32gr after a few rounds. For a final test I shoot both loads on the same target. Usually I can get better information by doing so. The top group is the 62.02gr and the one to the right is 62.32gr. The 62.02 group looks to have a slight edge.

65saum39.jpg

So for now it looks like the 139gr Scenar @ 3150 with 62.02grs of RL25 is going to work. Fired 74 rounds total for the day. MOA to 1000 stayed the same @ 21.25.

Ready for some warm weather to bring out the Bean Bears. Will post a picture in the Hunting section, if I get lucky.

Stay safe, Brad B.