• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors 6.5 SAUM Ultralight Can Option

simpy16

Private
Minuteman
Feb 21, 2017
Boise, ID
I have a lightweight 6.5 SAUM hunting rifle and want to run a can on it. I have a gen 1 Ultra 7 in 6.5 cal that I use currently. Debating on a Gen 2 Ultra 7 or if I should go with the Ultra 5 and give up a little suppression but drop length and weight.

Anybody shot any or all of those cans and can fill me in. Mostly curious about the difference in realworld sound of the U5 and U7.

Any other options outside of TBAC to consider? I would like to use the Area419 Hellfire adapters to work with all my other cans.

The 6.5 Ultra 5 gen2 will be about 4 dB louder at the shooter's ear than the 7. For comparison, that's right around 130 dB on a 24" 6.5 Creedmoor. We don't have specific 6.5 SAUM numbers, but it would be a little louder. I don't know of anything else that is as small and as quiet.

The 6.5 Ultra 5 gen2 will be about 4 dB louder at the shooter's ear than the 7. For comparison, that's right around 130 dB on a 24" 6.5 Creedmoor. We don't have specific 6.5 SAUM numbers, but it would be a little louder. I don't know of anything else that is as small and as quiet.
Thanks Zak. I am running a 22" barrel. Is 130 considered hearing safe? I would like this to hopefully be more of a one and done situation rather than a string of shots. I just love the sound on the U7 I am scared I will be disappointed with the 5" model.

The OSHA limit for impulse sound exposure is 140 dB. 140 dB is still pretty loud at the ear, although most suppressed AR's are 140 or louder at the ear. If you go into it wanting to take most of the edge off and super light and small, you won't be disappointed. It doesn't really feel like you have a can on there, whereas I tend to notice the 7 more.

I agree. I use a u5 on a 28 nosler and while it's not as quiet as the U7, it's my go to hunting can even on the magnums. I only use my U7 on my really short 18" hunting guns.

I notice the length difference quiet a bit between the two cans on barrels 22 and longer. The U5 for a ultra light hunting rig is the way to go IMO.

Reactions: No_Call_Reengage