• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing 6.5 Swede in a R700 short action?

setter

Private
Minuteman
Apr 30, 2006
Oregon City, Oregon
I saw a post where someone said they had a 6.5 Swede built on their Rem700 short action. Are major modifactions needed or is it mainly with the feeding from the magazine? Also, would it be possible to modify the magazine such that you could still utilize the 'bdl' configuration? Thanks. Rich

Re: 6.5 Swede in a R700 short action?

Rich,

The 6.5x55 is a long action cartridge. If you build one on a short action, you will not be able to use your magazine, AND, if you want to remove an unfired cartridge from your chamber, you will need to remove your bolt to do so.

Don

Thanks. I knew it was a long cartridge but I was just wondering that if this guy really did have one built, what exactly would it take.

It can be done quite easily. You have to lengthen the mag opening in the action by removing the "ADL" sqrew-hole in front of the triggerguard end fit a modyfied magbox. Bolt stop must be modyfied a little bit to get longer bolt throw and the ejection port must be opened a bit to the rear. I've done this on a 40XR and it worked fine

A norwegian custom gunsmith makes his own "700" actions and he has a picture of his 700SA for the 6.5x55 on his website. See action no 703: http://www.magnumhansen.com/laaskasser.htm

(pardon my english..)

Easily? With a 140gr Berger bullet, my 6.5x55 cartridge measures 3.082". That's about 1/4 inch longer than what most short actions will handle. I wouldn't call taking that much metal out of the receiver easy or advisable. And there's no way of getting them to fit in the altered magazine unless you seat the bullets deep.

Don

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USSR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Easily? With a 140gr Berger bullet, my 6.5x55 cartridge measures 3.082". That's about 1/4 inch longer than what most short actions will handle. I wouldn't call taking that much metal out of the receiver easy or advisable. And there's no way of getting them to fit in the altered magazine unless you seat the bullets deep.

Don </div></div>

Your cartridge still measures within the specs, so if the action mentioned where made to 6.5x55 specs it has to handle a cartridge with a total length of 80mm (3.149").

Short answer, yes, but mag feeding is out, and extracting a live cartridge is exactly as Don said. As long as I was willing to live within those simple limits, no rifle mods are necessary at all.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jo</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USSR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Easily? With a 140gr Berger bullet, my 6.5x55 cartridge measures 3.082". That's about 1/4 inch longer than what most short actions will handle. I wouldn't call taking that much metal out of the receiver easy or advisable. And there's no way of getting them to fit in the altered magazine unless you seat the bullets deep.

Don </div></div>

Your cartridge still measures within the specs, so if the action mentioned where made to 6.5x55 specs it has to handle a cartridge with a total length of 80mm (3.149"). </div></div>

Amazingly, the problem in the US is that very few smiths will think outside of the box. It's hard to convince many smiths to use a Wyatt box for an ackley case, much less modify the receiver to accept a longer COAL. That includes GAP, Patriot, and all the other big boys. If it's not the standard build, they won't touch it!

There's usually a good reason why these rifle builders won't perform a particular operation. Perhaps asking one of the builders that you mentioned will explain it, rather than just accusing them of being unwilling to "think out of the box".

Take a close look at the Hansen 703SA. Max oal in the magazine is 79mm aka 3.110". I converted a 40XR in the same fashion. (the 702 in the picture beside the 703 is a std type 700SA/308win)

No metal (or strength) was remowed from the front ring in the receiver. Both mag opening and ejectionport was opened at the rear. This is a routine job for any 1911 gunsmith. Finding and fitting a proper 3.10" magazine can be a hassle. My 40XR was configured like an ADL.

Here's a Hansen 703SA (700SA) rifle chambered for 6.5x55:

http://www.magnumhansen.com/703 HTG 6,5x55.htm

Just shop up a used 700 in 6.5X55, I owned several and they worked just fine. Why reinvent the wheel?

Torf,

Your ability writing english is much better than my ability to read Norwegian. When the gunsmith mods the Rem 700 to take the 6.5 x 55 does he have to open up the bolt or is the difference in rim diameter within the tolerance of the bolt?

Thanks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mr. Humble</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A 6.5x55 will fit in a standard 308 700 bolt face. </div></div>

My M700 will extract fired Lapua, but not live/unfired Lapua cases. It extracts both live and fired Rem cases, so that's what I use. Lapua is a few thou larger rim diameter than Rem.

Cheers,

Bill

I guaged virgin Rem 6.5x55 cases and their base diameter mic'ed at .473", so I think Rem cheats and uses standard .308/.30-'06 case blanks. Handloads made with them worked flawlessly in a Swede.

Greg

Rem cases were the same as 308 when I was messing with it.
Lapua was about 6-7 thousandths bigger if I remember correctly.
My smith opened up the bolt face a little and I had no problem with either.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: palma</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jo</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USSR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Easily? With a 140gr Berger bullet, my 6.5x55 cartridge measures 3.082". That's about 1/4 inch longer than what most short actions will handle. I wouldn't call taking that much metal out of the receiver easy or advisable. And there's no way of getting them to fit in the altered magazine unless you seat the bullets deep.

Don </div></div>

Your cartridge still measures within the specs, so if the action mentioned where made to 6.5x55 specs it has to handle a cartridge with a total length of 80mm (3.149"). </div></div>

Amazingly, the problem in the US is that very few smiths will think outside of the box. It's hard to convince many smiths to use a Wyatt box for an ackley case, much less modify the receiver to accept a longer COAL. That includes GAP, Patriot, and all the other big boys. If it's not the standard build, they won't touch it! </div></div>

For the record we do a ton of "custom" work here in the shop. I try to let the customer tell me what he wants and build around that. It doesn't have to be the "norm". We build a lot of prototypes for a lot of companies and or entities. To include a recent 338 LM pistol, custom wooden stocks, one piece extended rails for rifles such as a Steyr, cutting 700's and Surgeon's out to except AW mags, you name it. The list is way too long to list them all.

Personally I think the Swede is a baby doll in a long action. It allows you to do what a Wyatt box won't