• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6.5 tcu in a bolt gun

ptaylortx

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 28, 2013
Southeast TX
I'm thinking of building a 6.5 tcu on a Savage model 11 action for use as a light, knock around rifle. I want something with a little more punch than a 223, but little recoil and I just like odd ball or wildcat cartridges. The only reloading data I've found is for the TC contender. Do you think I could get a 120 gr bullet around 2450 fps or better with a 20" barrel? Any thoughts on its viability on deer and hogs out to 200 yards or so?

Thanks. Most of the contender data is pretty tame. I figure you could power it's ass pretty good in a bolt action and get some decent velocity. Now I just need to find a donor action.

I'm working on a 6.5 Tcu also. You won't need to go up to a 120gr bullet to kill deer and hogs at those distances. A 100gr Nosler BT will do the job and is a bit faster. Also, the standard reamer for it has a really long throat. I have a reamer at Pacific being modified to cut down on the neck clearance, and have the throat shortened so I can reach the lands with the shorter bullet.
RonA

Thanks for the reamer info Ron, I didn't think about that. I gotta deal on 120 smk and picked up 2000 of them, so I'd like to get some double duty from it and my 6.5-06.

7TCU in a 14" gets 2400/120gr, a 6.5 normally will do 2200-2250, in a rifle, you can expect 100-150 more. I would expect 2350-2450. If me I would strongly look at a Grendel or BR case. Def capable on deer/hogs to 200 yds, assuming proper bullet + placement.

You shouldn't have any trouble pushing the 120 out of 20" barrel to 2,450 fps with the 6.5 TCU.

I ran my 7 TCU over the chrono last week, and I am pushing a 154 SST to 2,000 fps out of a 10" barrel. So I think your goal is very realistic with the 6.5 and longer tube.

I should point out that I am shooting a contender with a very long throat which allows me to seat the bullet way out. In my experience the books loads are very conservative, but your mileage may vary.

The 6.5 TCU should make a fun cheap bolt gun regardless.

Last edited:
I looked at the Grendel and a few other l lighter 6.5 chamberings, but I think the tcu is the way to go for me. Decent performance and I can use some of the thousands of 223 bread I have laying around. I enjoy my 7mm tcu contender and it's easy to load for.

If you want a mags that handle long col with long bullets it is possible to use HK 630/SL6 223 mags custom fitted in a short bolt action. I've seen a rifle with a 10 shot mag that was simply glued into the stock in the correct position. The HK mag will take rounds with col 62.5mm/2.46". The HK mag is a doublestack that's easy to load from top in a regular bolt action.

I have buikt several in the 6mm flavor. Getting the 95mk to 3100 is possible with imr8208 but its hard on brass. 3050 is comfortable and the brass lasts well. I think 2600 might be obtainble with a 120 in the 6.5. 2450 should be no sweat!

Push a 120 to 2600 in a 20" and good luck not blowing brass/primers or an action. Running safe pressures IS of concern to me, perhaps not so much with others.

7TCU in a Carbine rifle will do 120/2550, smaller bore (IE less area on base of bullet for gas to work) plus a longer bearing surface bullet PLUS typically a faster twist - will raise pressure faster and restrict velocity over it's larger bore cousin.

COL is an issue to consider in a bolt. 100s might be best if a 120 cannot be seated w/o eating up alot of capacity. Throating matters but likely mag box will determine COL.

The only way to know what a given load in a given rifle will do is find out, by working up loads safely. I will be interested in hearing your speeds.

What is the Difference in capacity of a Grendel vs a TCU, and what speed will a Grendel do? That's what I would be thinking....one could add 50-60fps with a 24 vs 20" bbl.

2400 vs 2600 is not a game changer to 200 yds, using a good expanding bullet like a ballistic tip thru vitals. YMMV.