• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6.5 vs 260

mese341

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Dec 8, 2013
Duluth,Mn
I know this question has been asked but I am really looking at these two calibers and I my shooting buddies have had conflicting opinions. I have been leaning towards the 260 because in general there is 50 more FPS than the 6.5 creed is there any reasons to go 6.5 creed over the 260 other than factory ammo?

I think the Creed is just a nicer case design for running out of 2.8” mags. I wouldn’t bank on the .260 being any faster, after you seat a heavy in the .260 you’ve effectively reduced its capacity to that of a Creed. Real world they both end up being ballistic twins. Differences in one barrel vs another make a larger difference in my experience. Hand loading is also a giant variable. Some people load soft, some nuclear.
Eenie meenie miney mo is a perfectly acceptable way to choose between them.

The best way to get the speed is to load the 260 long, which then creates a host of problems. From Magazines to chambers.

I tend to like the 260 better, but the 6.5CM is more convenient and the results are to close to matter one way or another.

The best way to get the speed is to load the 260 long, which then creates a host of problems. From Magazines to chambers.

I tend to like the 260 better, but the 6.5CM is more convenient and the results are to close to matter one way or another.
Thank you for the help and just curious if you were recoil sensitive what would you use to shoot to 1200 yards I have a dasher that I am planing on shooting 600-800 with but from 800-1200 I am trying to find something with a little more power but not too harsh

I now have both, started with .260.

Go to the local gunstore and see what ammo is on the shelf. Now go online and search for .260 brass.

Yeah, you "could" get more out of the .260 but is it worth it? I'm not getting rid of my .260s but when barrels burn out that will probably be the end of it for me.

Yes, 6.5

I shoot both on my range out beyond 1000, the 6.5 is better after 600 -800 yards wind wise for me. Less drift, drop is usually close, but wind wise the 6.5 is better

6.5 just works better from standard mag length. Load the 260 long, and you can get to the next node up. You can't do this is a standard short action or AR-10 platform. Long action of any type or AW mags will allow you to seat bullets longer.
Coming from a die hard 260 guy, the 6.5 simply fixes the the issues with a 260 case.

Reactions: Supersubes
As noted 6.5 excels in limiting magazine situations.
I love my 260.
With some extra freebore and long mags I run 140’s at 2885 and 147’s at 2800 is mild.
I had 140’ at 2935 without pressure signs but that’s spicy for sure.
That’s with H4350 or R16
1532EEBF-55F9-4B33-A1E9-983FA1C677F0.jpeg

About to order my 5th 260 barrel.
I keep wanting to go 6 BR but the 260 keeps pulling me back in.

You really cant go wrong with either.

Reactions: SkyScrapin
As noted 6.5 excels in limiting magazine situations.
I love my 260.
With some extra freebore and long mags I run 140’s at 2885 and 147’s at 2800 is mild.
I had 140’ at 2935 without pressure signs but that’s spicy for sure.
That’s with H4350 or R16
View attachment 7339095
About to order my 5th 260 barrel.
I keep wanting to go 6 BR but the 260 keeps pulling me back in.

You really cant go wrong with either.
I smartened up after my 4th .260 barrel. 🖕

I always thought the 6.5 SLR would have been a good use of the .260 case.

• Haha
Reactions: Steel head
I started out with a .260 a number of years ago before the 6.5 Creedmoor became famous. Since I have the tooling to reload this cartridge I'm gonna stick with it. If I was making the choice today I would go with the 6.5 Creedmoor. It seems like the best balance of performance and barrel life.

I have pr custom 260’s. Built before 6.5CM rage, and before Lapua made brass for the 65CM. They are balistically twins. Hornady did a remarkable job promoting the 6.5CM. I would now go with the CM just because of availability of 1x brass available.