• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6.5 vs 6 CM for son's range gun

oldrifleman

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Apr 4, 2012
    Seattle
    Realized I have a 2012 vintage Remington 700 (xcr lr tac) sitting in my safe along with an extra TT diamond and a spare manners T4a. My son (high school) enjoys shooting with me but dislikes shooting my 308 Impact as he finds the recoil to be excessive. He is extremely fit but fairly lean, so I am thinking of sending the Remington barreled action down to Bugholes for a trueing and re-barrel with an M24 Bartlein. This would be a range/entry level match gun. Right now I am bouncing between the 6.5 and 6 mm CM. I have heard the 6 is more shoulder friendly, but concerned I am giving up anything by not going to the 6.5. Right now we will be using factory ammo. For a scope he will get one of my ATACR 7-35s (F2 as he prefers it at this point), but i do have a spare ZCO 527 for when he becomes more comfortable with f1.
    So the question is which cartridge would you move forward with? Thanks

I like 6. Dont worry about barrel life, Id be happy if he quickly shot the barrel out in it, that means a year of nice consistent shooting with your kid, small price to pay. If it does go in a year then go 6.5 next to get two years out of it but he could probably make an educated decision for himself at that point. And he would also likely want a custom himself...

But 6.5 is basically the same. Unless I have mine back to back purposefully trying to split hairs I cant hardly notice.

I think for range / match work (not for hunting), the 6 is generally superior and the big downside is barrel life. If it’s really windy, heavy 6.5s shoot a little better in the wind, but that puts you right back into the recoil concern.

Go 6 on this barrel and as he gets bigger / stronger / better technique consider a 6.5 barrel when it’s shot out.

Reactions: dirtybores
    Well I got turned around by my son. We started talking and he decided he would rather go with a 6.5 with a brake on it. So will be packing up the action and sending it to bughole for a 26” m24 profile bartlein. the wait begins😃

I'd go with a 6 for sure then he can go 6.5 later if he wants but the recoil is a good amount less on 6 and it will do anything he wants. Why did he decide he wanted a 6.5???

I'd go with a 6 for sure then he can go 6.5 later if he wants but the recoil is a good amount less on 6 and it will do anything he wants. Why did he decide he wanted a 6.5???
    he wants to grow into it. He runs track/ cross country, lifts weights 3 times a week and hikes most weekends. My 308 is un-braked and he agreed to a brake the 6.5. We shall see.

Reactions: Evlshnngns
    he wants to grow into it. He runs track/ cross country, lifts weights 3 times a week and hikes most weekends. My 308 is un-braked and he agreed to a brake the 6.5. We shall see.
    6.5cm is in between a .308 and 6cm imo. It's not bad at all and it does let you see impacts a little easier at 1000 yds. The 6cm is just so much fun to shoot and the bergers are easy button lasers so I'd still do the 6 but 6.5cm is without question the best all around cartridge there is. Also, lots of prs guys are going back to the 6.5cm just because of the bigger bullet. You developed better habits with it vs a 6cm too imo so, I'm sure he will love it. The 130 Berger ar OTM bullet is what I'd run in it

Reactions: oldrifleman
    My sporter 243w acts like my varmint 6.5cm. Both unbraked. With a brake on the 6.5, you will be tempted to get another barrel for your Impact.

So, is factory ammo a must? Is 6BR a possibility? Or Dasher or GT? You are looking doubling the barrel life with the 6.5 Creed over the 6. You can shoot the 123 class bullets for less recoil also.

for the 6.5 go with an MTU barrel and a match style brake. Then put it in a decent chassis or competition stock to try to get it in the 17-19 pound weight range. Better would be more, but more means more he has to lift it and 18 lbs is already a hefty rifle.

I like shooting the 6’s but I still miss my 6.5’s. Both were real shooters and I have never in all my years found a more forgiving round to load for. Plus, shooting factory, you will never lack for choices of ammunition to purchase and use.

I ordered the m24 as my stock is already set up for it. It is going into a Manners T4a. Yeah at this point he is not into hand loading and I am not able anymore ( left hand issues). Yeah if I could still load I would have considered the 6br as I still have the dies and cases from my BR days.

I think that’s a good call.

If you want to think outside the box go with a 6BR.
    Zero recoil, tiny groups.
    MDT makes AICS pattern mags for it.

Edit: I obviously missed your post above this one.

Last edited:
    Reactions: exoto1225