• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing 6.5 vs 7-08 for hunting and general purpose

AF_TT

AT-X
Minuteman
Jul 28, 2010
JoCo KS
I've got a 18.5" 6.5x47 built on a defiance tactical but want something that I can use for elk too. I'm sure I could make a 140gr work but I am also thinking why not the 7mm 162+ gr offerings. Looking to go out west next year possibly this year depending on my situation. I can get OTC tags in Oregon. I hunt deer,pigs, and coyotes in Alabama & Texas. To give you an idea of my needs.
I have a lead on a very good price for Proof barrels and I'm going with a carbon barrel most likely but could do a steel barrel.

So should I stick with 6.5x47, chamber to 6.5 creed(I could get ammo at Walmart in a pinch), or 7-08? What barrel length and twist would you reccomend available from Proof, bearing in mind I'm just not going to do the PRS thing and really just hunt and shoot steel for fun. Open to other SA chamberings if it makes sense for my uses.

Thanks for advice in advance.

I have both, almost, 260rem and 280rem killed 19 elk in the last 6 years with both out to 630 yards. Would go with 7mm-08 with 150gr ABLR.

Sounds like you're splitting hairs.
I've got a brother in law that a serious hunter but not at all a gun guy. Worshipped at the altar of 300WM for elk. Then decided 7mm RM would do. Couple years later he got the custom rifle bug and the GS recommended a 7-08. Next custom the same GS went 6.5CM. Brother in law has killed elk out to 700yds with each if I remember correctly and he can't tell the difference in effect on target.

Can’t go wrong with any of them. I have a shortie 260 and 7-08, both tikka that I run suppressed. 150 and 162 eldx work great on whitetail and like you’ve mentioned factory ammo readily available and brass easily formed from plentiful 308

Reactions: serevince
I bought a 7mm-08 for deer and antelope hunting, and loaded it up with 120 Barnes TTSX bullets. I haven't killed any deer or antelope with it, but I have killed six elk out to 400 yards. A 7mm-08 is not a 700 yard elk rifle, but it does OK at reasonable ranges.

Reactions: lou400a
Thanks for the input guys. I'll probably stick with 6.5x47 since I have a ton of brass and just build a 300wm or 7rm for a trip west.

Have a friend in Vermont whose 13 & 15 year old girls, at the time, use the 7-08 with 140 gr noslers and varget powder. Both killed moose with the 7- 08 the same year. Loaded a little on the light to help with recoil but both were one shot kills. I like the 7-08 myself. Have some bigger and some smaller but am fond of the 7-08!

I've shot several Montana Muleys with the 120g GMX from .260 and it has performed flawlessly. Would not hesitate to use for Elk.

I've decided to sell off my SA rifle and just build another, maybe in long action. That's going to really open the options up for me. Possibly a .280AI or something along those line.

Love my 7mm-08 for deer and hogs. My 6.5 I’m sure will be just as good but it doesn’t feel like a “hunting” rifle like my 7mm-08

When gun guys are younger seems it takes multiple guns to basically do the same job. Been there, done that. As I have got older several 223’s and pair of 260’s cover 99% of my centerfire shooting needs. But I always will have 20” 308 just because.

Reactions: Huckleberry75
The 6.5 Creed has only come into the 'Hot-to-Trot' category within the past few years. I can't count the HtT cartridges that fizzled out after just a few years, because of:

ammo manufactures lack of support due to lack luster OTC sales (if it's not moving nation wide, it gets dropped)
Over inflated expectations of a cartridge that really doesn't do much more than what is already available (260 Rem, 6.5X55, etc)
Price point on the rifles

The 7mm/08 has had a steadily growing fan base for the last 20/30 yrs, or so. For Good reason. It has defeated enough of the negatives and supported enough of the positives the hunting community has demanded.

My final argument for the round is that it was the cartridge that Howa gave Randy to represent their company & Hunt Talk. When a major rifle manufacturer puts that kind of faith into a rifle/cartridge combo that is going to be used Web-Wide to show case their company....it's saying something !

Besides, that's what I hunt with.

7-08 is on my bucket list of rifles to own. Friend shot a nice sized cow elk with it. One shot and down.

Cow elk in my avatar was with 7mm08, one shot with factory (gasp!) Nosler 140 e-Tip at 370 yards, through and through double lung. She went 20-30 yards before tipping over and rolling down the ridge.

Higher Sectional Density per weight with the 7mm08. Quality hunting ammo available off the shelf.

6.5x47 last I checked only had one source for load hunting ammo.

6.5 CM ammo is available everywhere all the time.

If you reload, as others said, splitting hairs. I would never and have never shot a game animal over 300 with the 7mm08 18” barrel 1-8 twist. That’s what the 7mmRM is for. Good luck. Finally, ever hear of a carbon ring issue in a short action 7mm? Nope. What about the 6.5? Yep.

My hunter is currently a 65CM, 22” sporter.
Shoots great, but I love the 7-08 and almost ordered a bull sporter in 7-08 for it but didn’t get drawn for elk :-(
It’s a Salvage, so I’ll probably get a 22” bull sporter in 7-08 and 65CM to keep me covered for anything in AZ.

Then I can obsess on building a real hunting rifle in 7STW

If you would like to stick with a 6.5 bullet, 6.5x284 Norma is a fine hunting cartridge.

If 6.5 x 284 was an option, why not a 6.5 PRC? Factory Ammo available, ballistics on par or better than the 6.5x284 and availabale in a short action.

It’s my understanding that was the reason for the PRC. Basically wanted to match the ballistics and bullet selection of the 6.5x284 but with factory loaded high quality ammunition available and in a short action.

OP, I know it wasn’t in your options, but a 6.5 PRC would be my choice. I’m getting ready to build a dedicated hinting rig in a PRC. If you listen to Episode 1 of Gunwerks Podcast “Long Range Pursuit”, they talk pretty in depth on the 6.5 PRC. Worth checking out if you’re open to different options.

Unless of course you’re looking at using you existing Defiance action for this build.......

Last edited:
Reactions: Huckleberry75
If 6.5 x 284 was an option, why not a 6.5 PRC? Factory Ammo available, ballistics on par or better than the 6.5x284 and availabale in a short action.

It’s my understanding that was the reason for the PRC. Basically wanted to match the ballistics and bullet selection of the 6.5x284 but with factory loaded high quality ammunition available and in a short action.

OP, I know it wasn’t in your options, but a 6.5 PRC would be my choice. I’m getting ready to build a dedicated hinting rig in a PRC. If you listen to Episode 1 of Gunwerks Podcast “Long Range Pursuit”, they talk pretty in depth on the 6.5 PRC. Worth checking out if you’re open to different options.

Unless of course you’re looking at using you existing Defiance action for this build.......

I've actually been looking at a Christensen in 6.5 PRC for hunting purposes. I'm at a stand still with projects for a few months but I'm seriously considering that.

Reactions: HogsLife
I've actually been looking at a Christensen in 6.5 PRC for hunting purposes. I'm at a stand still with projects for a few months but I'm seriously considering that.

Nice. Yeah it looks like a great all round caliber. I’m definitely going that route for my hunting rig and possibly my PRS rig as well. I see a lot of benefit being able to train and do most of my hunting with the same caliber.

1 reason for 6.5x284 over PRC, Lapua brass.

A 140gr Berger@3040fps from my 6.5x284 dropped a CO bull elk in his tracks @473yds last October. I don't think there is enough difference in a 6.5x47 and 708 to own both.

Reactions: HogsLife
Buddy of mine is just finishing a build for me using WTO switch lug for 7mm-08 and 300PRC. Should be hot here in next few weeks...

Only reason to consider the 7 over the 6.5 is if you want to load heavier than 140's to bridge the gap up to your dedicated elk/bear rifle. The 7 will allow you load 80gr or more over your .25, while the 6.5 will only give you 25gr or so.

Ballistically if you run 140's in both you'll have a bit more FPS out of the 7 and a better BC out of the 6.5. The 6.5 should have a very slight edge (couple inches drop and windage at 450 for example) at distance.

7mm-08 is an extremely diverse caliber. If your building a semi custom, do one in an 8.5 twist so you can comfortably stabilize bullets in the 170s. I too am a huge fan of the 150 ABLR in this caliber.

I'm not a 6.5 CM hater, but I never understood why that became way more popular than the 7mm-08.

7mm-08 is an extremely diverse caliber. If your building a semi custom, do one in an 8.5 twist so you can comfortably stabilize bullets in the 170s. I too am a huge fan of the 150 ABLR in this caliber.

I'm not a 6.5 CM hater, but I never understood why that became way more popular than the 7mm-08.
Other than 6.5s having better bcs for lighter weight bullets......another round suffering from Remington syndrome.....They brought it out and didn't support it worth a hoot either as in the .260 Rem....I believe if Remington would of really supported the 7-08 and .260 probably wouldn't been a creedmore......They could of owned that market and maybe not be the Trainwreck of a company that they are now.....

7mm-08, 6.5, 308 out of a 16-16.5 inch barrel for hunting suppressed. Max shot 400 yards on Deer and hogs

It's probably Splitting hairs but would one be better than the other? Not looking to go out west with this gun, just something light and not an AR to hunt with suppressed in the Southeast. I have dies to reload all of those calibers too

My wifes hunting rifle.

7-08 lope 2018.PNG

7-08 (11 lbs as pictured)
22" Light Palma w/5" Thunderbeast
168 Berger Hunters
2 deer
1 speed goat
1 pig
1 bobcat

Thing is weirdly/oddly/bigly effective. Cant explain it but every animal shot was DRT and maybe its just womin are better shooters... But Im a believer. Her last kill, and furthest animal Ive seen killed what I consider ELR hunting was LRF 408 yards with 15-25 gusting 3 clock wind in WY. Dialed for a 20 and speed goat didn't know what hit it.

Regards,
DT

I went through the exact same struggle when I ordered my NULA. When I placed the order I had decided on a 7mm-08, but about a 2 months into the build, I called up Melvin Forbes to see if it was too late to change my mind. He was more than accommodating, and I went with the 6.5 Creedmoor. Glad I did.

It shoots Hornady 120 Amax and handloaded 129 SSTs & 140 Partitions to the same POI, sub-moa.

My Ruger 7mm-08 now sits idle.

Bottom line:
+1 6.5 Creedmoor

If you have your heart set on 7mm go 7SAW,284WIN ( SA) or as mentioned 280AI (LA), keep the 6.5x47 for medium size game and definitely go 7mm something for Elk at long range over 6.5 whatever . I shoot 300WM 210g-230g for Elk here in NM and am building a 7SAW for Deer to 600yds or Elk to 400yds. 7LRM would be a good do all cartridge!

I’ve also got a 6.5x47 that I use to target shoot and deer hunt with. I took my 7mm-08 using 160 grain accubonds to Africa last month and had great success. Shot a really nice bull wildebeest with it and he went down pretty fast. Also shot 2 impala with it. I think with a good bullet the 6.5 would be fine, but I prefer the heavier offerings in the 7mm. If I had my choice (more gun funds) I believe I’d go with a 284 win or a 7 SAUM in a long action. I wouldn’t hesitate to use my 7mm-08 on elk out to 500 yards though.

Great thread, I'm also looking for an alternative to my 300 Win. My daughter will be hunting Deer next year and possibly Elk, the 7mm-08 might be the ticket for her.

My dad, brother, and I have taken too many animals to count with a 7mm-08. Elk, deer, bear. The 7mm bullet selection is good and the energy of a 7mm bullet does a great job of killing! I'm having a 7mm SAW built by Clayton at WTO. Its just a 7mm-08 with a 30 degree shoulder. I hope to have the 168's going at least 2800fps out of a 24" proof barrel. My competition rifle is a 6.5 CM but the 7 is just better.

I have wanted to move away from the heavy recoiling 300 prc and 300 win mag lately due to a pending shoulder surgery..so, I have been running a lot of 6.5 numbers.

if you are running a 6.5 in the 147-150 grain range at 3000 fps or faster, there is nothing you can not drop....period! 1000ft/lbs+ past 1000 yards even at sea level.

the 6.5 prc is going to be hard to beat really soon..

bench

In the same realm of calibers. 7m08 and can’t decide which scope to put on it. Which one would be better for hunting 300-350 yards and closer.
Vortex PST Gen 2 2-10X30
DMR II 3.5-21x50

They are but

They are... Some still around ...Doug@ camerland had some...
Yeah he also has a hell of a deal on the DMR line right now too. Almost set on the DMR since I have a gen 2 vortex on the 22 Nosler right now. Try something new I guess

I bought an Christensen MPR and swapped the chassis out for an Ultra Lite Masterpiece in 6.5 PRC..... SHoots 1/2” and only have this for a hunting rifle. Comes with flat trigger and 20 moa rail, both things that I like.

Attachments

• 4D4DD42E-0D75-4DB7-B63C-FC2062CF7B12.jpeg
    4D4DD42E-0D75-4DB7-B63C-FC2062CF7B12.jpeg
    115.9 KB · Views: 91