• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6.5 WSM?

Re: 6.5 WSM?

I've a friend with a couple.

It is a wicked bastard on game with the Berger.

I love 6.5's and built a 6.5 WSM a few years back and it shot great but the barrel only lasted 500 rounds and many others have had the same result.

wade

I've spoke with a few shooters who had rifles in this round. Long range shooters said it was Awesome at 1k, but said unless you are wealthy...forget it due to poor bbl life. The 6.5 SAUM supposedly gave a bit better bbl life. A couple hunters said it was a great hunting round..shoots flat and plenty of energy at long range...not that different from the 264 Win Mag.

Given both WSM and RSAUM have more boiler room than 6.5-284, a known barrel burner

Of the two RSAUM is a better case design having longer neck n slightly less cap......best left as a 7mm

I have one, and it shoots great! The early experimenters used a 1 in 8" twist like the (super accurate) 6.5/284, and found their best groups were at 6.5/284 velocities. I used a 1 in 9" in an effort to get a little extra velocity and similar bullet stability. It seems to be working as planned.
grin.gif

I am building one right now. I'm going with a 22" barrel to keep it compact but still get around 3,000 fps with the 140's. I had the reamer designed off of the 270 WSM Norma brass necked down with one pass, unturned, and throated long for the 140's. This gives a little longer neck also.

To solve the barrel life problem i am testing Ferratic Nitride. I have heard several reports of extended barrel life. One report is a 6.5x284 with 4,700 rounds through it. It offers a much better friction coeffecient than an untouched barrel and gives an increase in velocity. I have been told that there are .30-06 that have this treatment and are getting 2,850fps with 208 A-max's. I am going to chrono the barrel with a standard load before and after the treatment to test it myself. I plan on doing alot of testing and a full write up to see if it is what they claim. I'll post it here on the hide.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mrmojo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey Hutch what type of barrel does he have on his? </div></div>

One is a #4 Shilen and the other. I believe, is a fatter Krieger.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">To solve the barrel life problem i am testing Ferratic Nitride.</div></div>

I just got back a 700 barrel in 204 Ruger after having it salt-bathed and have started testing it out at the range this weekend.

From what I hear the process does work and from what I'm hearing Rock Creek has done some barrels for themselves.

I'm sorely tempted to build on of these as I have a Rock
6.5 barrel on the way.

btw, it's only overbore if you don't have the appropriate powders.
It does in fact now have the powders to make it an excellent cartridge.

I'd like to do one based on 7mm WSM brass necked down.

I'm checking it out now with dies and reamer.

in Quickload, the WSM based 6.5s both show higher operating pressures than the .264 Win, so they can get almost the same velocity with smaller case capacity.

if i diddn't have a ton of .264 brass, i'd be building one as well.

as to the "barrel burner" term, well, high performance is seldom cheap. i have my own match .264 WM reamer and keep a few spare barrels on the shelf.

I wonder what type of accuracy guys are getting from this round? And also what type of effectivness they are seeing at longer ranger such as beyond 600 yards?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: apache kid</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'd like to do one based on 7mm WSM brass necked down.</div></div>

Neil Cooper had a finish reamer made that he is calling the 6.5 Stretch. He is taking 300 WSM brass, necking it down to 6.5, and then fire forming. This moves the shoulder .050" (.020" more than the 7 WSM headspace) without changing the shoulder angle. The reamer just showed up at the shop. If you are after more capacity this would be a good option.

6.5 on a WSM case would be a serious barrel burner, look at the 7RSAUM case, it has a bit less capacity then the WSM and a longer neck to boot, might be a better choice for your wildcat than the WSM case.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Neil Cooper had a finish reamer made that he is calling the 6.5 Stretch. He is taking 300 WSM brass, necking it down to 6.5, and then fire forming. This moves the shoulder .050" (.020" more than the 7 WSM headspace) without changing the shoulder angle. The reamer just showed up at the shop. If you are after more capacity this would be a good option.</div></div>

Sounds like what I am looking for.

Could you please give me Neils contact information if not here by PM.

Thanks!

What about the 6.5 Remington Magnum that been around +-40 years? Brass, dies, bullets, & data are all available. Is getting rid of the belt that important?

Good luck

Jerry

Not much speed difference between the 6.5-284 and the 6.5 Rem Mag.

If I'm going to have a mag bolt face it might as well be a larger chambered short mag.

I'm no fan of belts but I do live with them at times.

Why not just step up to a 7WSM. You're shooting a higher BC bullet at comparable speeds with a lot more barrel life.

Thats a good point but i chose the 6.5 WSM because the 140 Berger bc is .612 and the 7mm 168 Berger bc is 6.17 (i know the 180 is higher at .659 but alot of people use the 168's). You can get 3200fps with the 6.5 wsm and have the same performance of the 7 but with much less recoil. I didn't want to use a brake. Or you can use the 140 JLK .639 bc. I'm hoping the Ferratic Nitride will give me similar barrel life to the 7 WSM. The 7 is an awesome round. If i were building a hunting only gun that would be my caliber of choice. I want dual purpose and the less recoil of the 140's is real appealling. So is 21 moa to 1,000yds. There is nothing wrong with the belted .264 Win either but you won't be fitting it in a short action.

Apache Kid i will pm you shortly with Neil's info i do not have it in front of me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MuleHunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">DO IT </div></div>I would IF I wasn't doing a 264WinMag!