• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6.5 wssm anybody?

TEAMSENDIT

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Sep 22, 2008
    whidbey island
    I have been looking at all these really cheap winchester and browning wssm rifles that dealers are blowing out and trying to think what I could build on them. the 6.5wssm is all I could come up with. has anybody tried this or no anybody who has.

thanks scott

Re: 6.5 wssm anybody?

Does a 6.5 WSSM provide anything you cannot achieve with a .260, 6.5 cm or 6.5 x 47?---other than a giant bolt face and a party popper case that may or may not mag feed?

Also--good luck finding brass for a cartridge that appears to be on its way out.

IMO--STAY AWAY!!

Sometimes dreams of economy can drive us to decisions that only make sense at the time. The 6.5WSSM has indeed been done, and been made to work well, but buying a bargain rifle, then winging it with an offbeat chambering to make it work is not the sort of thing that will appeal to a lot of folks; something to bear in mind if you ever want to off it.

Consider your logic long and hard. Then, if it still makes sense, go for it.

Greg

from what little I have found it is compareable velocities to the 6.5x284 with around 5 to 10 grains less powder.

I think there was a barrel for sale over on benchrest.com

already chambered for this cartridge.

Would you be able to seat long VLD's out far enough in a WSSM mag?

Why not a 7 SAUM throated for a 175 or 180 grain bullet?

look on www.6mmbr.com there is several guys that shoot them and like them. I've built two of them and both of them shot very well but it is what you want not what anybody else wants. They like to shoot hot loads to get the necks to expand if it is a no turn neck, because the necks are so thick on that brass. If you turn the necks they shoot better, and the winchester brass for the wssm is pretty good brass. There is people claiming 20 and 30 reloads on them.
    Best of luck and GOD bless,
    Mac's

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: [email protected]</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think there was a barrel for sale over on benchrest.com

already chambered for this cartridge.
    </div></div>

He's looking to do the W "super short" M not the WSM.

Mag feeding would be an issue, I had 2 rifles 22BR and 7BR that fed off the mag box with some work.

Pete

IMO!after messing with a couple 243wssm's I came to the conclusion that wssm brass SUCKS.Very inconsistent!I had to do major brass prep to get both guns to shoot half way decent.That included neck turning,weight sorting,flash hole deburing,primer pocket uniforming.Before I prepped the brass I was getting 2.5 inch groups at 100Y then afterwards with prep was getting less than MOA.As a matter of fact about 10 percent of the rims of the brass wouldn't even fit in the shell holder.

Steve

I know it wouldn't be worth much if I had to sell it but at least it would be something different.

<span style="font-style: italic">Does a 6.5 WSSM provide anything you cannot achieve with a .260, 6.5 cm or 6.5 x 47?---other than a giant bolt face and a party popper case that may or may not mag feed?</span>

In theory and accuracy advantage,but basicaly above is exactly what I said, but hey I just build em,. customers choose the chambering !!!

Pete

"As a matter of fact about 10 percent of the rims of the brass wouldn't even fit in the shell holder."

most of my LAPUA 223 brass wont fit the shell holder without a good push!

The WSSM cases I've loaded have had poor consistancy. Some that I have seen appear to be cut down brass and sized to spec, and the case necks are too thick. When sizing them down, the shoulder is very picky about how much it is sized back and sometimes dimp. Sometimes it's easier to go with the tried and true calibers. When you wildcat a round, brass prep will consume all your time.

I even bought another shell holder because I thought maybe the one I had was out of spec perhaps.Still didn't work.Also It was quite a bit more than a push.The force used to remove the brass made the whole shell holder come out of the press.Some I had to just throw away.
    I suggest you try another shell holder for your 223 brass or send the brass back.

Steve