• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6.5 X 06 brass

George Az

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 2, 2013
Northern Az
I am about 2 days away from delivering my long action 700 to be rechambered in 6.5 x 06. (why the 06 is a good question, I have thought about maybe a .260, but in part the rifle will be for hunting first, targets and comp second - elk is a significant part of what I want to hunt. My question is brass. I know it is a wildcat, to my knowledge there is no one making brass. I hear .270 and 25-06 make good 6.5 x 06 brass. But, what if I was blessed enough to have a lot of 30- 06 brass to include, L/C, Rem, Win and some other stuff all once fired. Can I make the 30-06 into 6.5 -06 ? I am surmising inside neck turning? triming after sizing?

I tried doing a search, but it is pretty broad based. Awe who am I kidding, I just wanted to use the word broad.

Thanks

Absolutely! I generally used 25-06 for mine, but you can certainly use the 30-06 as well. Just a bit more work involved. You may want to use an intermediate step or two, and check your wall thinckness and neck clearance when you're done, but you can most definately do it this way.

Great cartridge. You'll enjoy it a lot, I'm sure.

I'm pretty sure I'd seen Nosler making 6.5-06 brass. Check them, but the 25-06 brass would probably be easiest to neck down.

270 brass would also work.

270 brass will work however be prepared to do a lot of trimming from 2.540 down to at least 2.494..

I decided to experiment with making 25-06 from 270 and way to much trimming.. did fifty and won't do any more.
I suppose if you have a nice trimmer such as Giraud etc..then no biggie, otherwise use 25-06 brass and neck up.

my .02

Spradley is correct. However, you can have your chamber cut for the .270 brass then you will only have to neck it. If you don't have the chamber cut and use .270 brass you WILL have pressure problems.