• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing 6.5 x 257 wby aka 6.5 Wby Magnum

wnroscoe

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 12, 2006
NW Louisiana
I built a dummy tonight so I can get my reamer ordered. There's not too much info floating around so I thought I'd share my findings just in case someone was thinking about this caliber.

Berger 140 VLD's

Nosler 257 Wby brass necked up to 6.5mm

Loaded Nk. measures .2893"

COAL = 3.438" Yes, this fits in a 300WM AI Magazine with room to spare

Bushing for FL die = .287" or .286"

Touch point at .262" = 2.746"

The base of the bearing surface is just above the neck shoulder juncture point. You could make the COAL longner but, I really dont see the need. This way you could shoot 130's as well, what a screamer.

Re: 6.5 x 257 wby aka 6.5 Wby Magnum

Very interesting.

We had a WFD (Whiskey Fueled Discussion) at the Man Camp recently regarding the 257 Wby. Rarely do we all agree, but, on the topic of 257 Wby, all present agreed it is a great north American round, and much under appreciated.

Taking it to a 6.5, well sir, that was brilliant! Got any idea of what kind powder you will use? RL15 or a 4350 perhaps?

Hope you bought stock in 6.5 barrels.

But it sounds fun as hell.

Took a great round and made it better!!

we use to have a handicaped guy in our lease that had a 25x300 win mag built instead of the 257 Wby becuse he bought 300 pieces of 300 win lapua brass first
confused.gif

Anyway , he ran 110g gr accubonds out at warp speed and that thing killed amazingly well even at 600-700yds all anaimal feel within site of impact zone.

Running a 140g Berger or the Lapua bullet out of that thing should be a long range lazer.

RL19, H1000, RL25 will get the initial knod. While I'd like to take credit, Tim McWhorter of McWhorter Rifles has been building this caliber for a couple of years now. I'm building one for a client and ordering the reamer for chambering.

130 Berger VLD's at 3,375 fps
140 Berger VLD's at 3,275 fps

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JJones75</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Took a great round and made it better!! </div></div>

The 257 Wby with 115's is a megakilla, makes shit dead and real quick like.

As we like to say round heah " Mikee Likes It".

Hmmmm I'll bet that makes a pretty good LR BR rifle too..... thinking.....maybe some 140 Amax's or 139 Scenars.... hmmmmm.

Looking at fast twist 6.5 Bartlein on bench over there...hmmmmm.

Mikee, look at a 6.5/300SAUM for a LR BR rifle.

For the 6.5/06 guys, Nosler has 280AI brass....6.5/280AI
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wnroscoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I built a dummy tonight so I can get my reamer ordered. There's not too much info floating around so I thought I'd share my findings just in case someone was thinking about this caliber.

Berger 140 VLD's

Nosler 257 Wby brass necked up to 6.5mm

Loaded Nk. measures .2893"

COAL = 3.438" Yes, this fits in a 300WM AI Magazine with room to spare

<span style="color: #FF0000">Bushing for FL die = .287" or .286"</span>

Touch point at .262" = 2.746"

The base of the bearing surface is just above the neck shoulder juncture point. You could make the COAL longner but, I really dont see the need. This way you could shoot 130's as well, what a screamer. </div></div>

Hey William,

Just a heads up but if you are going with Redding Bushings you may want to double check first. The last 4 or so bushings ive got recently size roughly .002 under what they are marked at. For example I just got a .287 bushing that sizes down to .285 also a .291 bushing that sizes down to .289 and a .368 that sizes down to .366.

Just something to be aware of and an awesome cartridge you got there.

Aloha!

It will be a little hard on barrels but should be nice hunting cartridge. The venturified shoulder has been brought up in many gunsmith discussions as to which is better, standard shoulder or venturified. While there is no proof which is better, having Norma 257 brass is a plus. Good luck.

Mr. Roscoe,
I have always had a great deal of respect for what you post here and the way you do business.
I have some input here that may seem critical, but it is based on 40 years expirence hunting on five continents with about two dozen barrels chambered similar to this. .257,270 and 7mm Weatherby, along with various wildcat 7mm magnums, .264 Win Mag, and 264/300 win mag. These were used as hunting rifles and shot on range to get data for hunting. Many hundreds of animals were taken but of course far more rounds were fired at paper.
First, all of them were great killers and actually hard to tell apart. Well constructed bullets are a must.
My issue with your round it that it incorprates most of the features I came to avoid.
One, I found the radiused shoulder a bit of an irritation. It was not as easy to tell about set back on sizing.
Two, all of the Norma brass was soft. I bought it by the case and actually returned many cases due to soft brass. It was replaced with basically, more soft brass.
I realize this could have changed by now but the radius has not.
It seems to me that you are working a great deal to get a .264 Win Mag. Which is no work at all. I prefer the Win Mag. It would make more sense to neck down a .264 Win to 25. That would be an actual improvement. If you want a hot .264, and want to do some work, the 300 Win necked down is really a great one.
Just my opinion, with all due respect.
Have a nice day.
RTH

This comes at a perfect time! I just finished one of these on a weatherby action and a lilja octagon barrel. Be interested to know what you come up with William using the powders you mentioned.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rth1800</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mr. Roscoe,
I have always had a great deal of respect for what you post here and the way you do business.
I have some input here that may seem critical, but it is based on 40 years expirence hunting on five continents with about two dozen barrels chambered similar to this. .257,270 and 7mm Weatherby, along with various wildcat 7mm magnums, .264 Win Mag, and 264/300 win mag. These were used as hunting rifles and shot on range to get data for hunting. Many hundreds of animals were taken but of course far more rounds were fired at paper.
First, all of them were great killers and actually hard to tell apart. Well constructed bullets are a must.
My issue with your round it that it incorprates most of the features I came to avoid.
One, I found the radiused shoulder a bit of an irritation. It was not as easy to tell about set back on sizing.
Two, all of the Norma brass was soft. I bought it by the case and actually returned many cases due to soft brass. It was replaced with basically, more soft brass.
I realize this could have changed by now but the radius has not.
It seems to me that you are working a great deal to get a .264 Win Mag. Which is no work at all. I prefer the Win Mag. It would make more sense to neck down a .264 Win to 25. That would be an actual improvement. If you want a hot .264, and want to do some work, the 300 Win necked down is really a great one.
Just my opinion, with all due respect.
Have a nice day.
RTH </div></div>

Its not his idea , its what a customer ask for , im sure he might have mentioned that their is a little easier way to skin that catfish and still have the same filet , but the customer gets what they want or they go somplace else.

Hell i have a family member that has a 30 Gibbs than he pushes the hell out of to get 300 win mag velocities , I explained that he could easly get those speeds with a moderate load from the win mag and still be able to find ammo easly , his reply was
"But everybody has a 300 winchester"
SOOO , some people just wanna be differant

Thanks for the kind words RTH but, James is correct on 2 counts. This chambering isnt my idea and the end consumer wanted it. Trust me, I tried to sell him on a 6.5x284 for all the right reasons but, he saw this caliber on TV and read about it at another web site, his "research" was complete
wink.gif

The norma brass is soft, hence the 257 Wby Nosler brass I'm using. Load develpoment and 50 loaded rounds will ship with this rifle so I'm simply putting my best foot forward and trying to deliver what the client wants. Hopefully he'll be happy and this rifle will exceed his expectations.

Sir,
The fact that you made it makes it certain he will be very happy with it.
I do like the 6.5x .284 but have not hunted with it. I am sure it would be fine. When I was shooting the Weatherby's Norma/Weatherby was the only game in town. Things change.

and the best part about a barrel burning hot rod is the customer will be back sooner

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wnroscoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">... and 50 loaded rounds will ship with this rifle </div></div>

You better not. I think that would be illegal.
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RADcustom</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wnroscoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">... and 50 loaded rounds will ship with this rifle </div></div>

wink.gif
</div></div>

I have an 07 (Manufacturing) that includes ammo
wink.gif
The ammo will ship separately of course

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wnroscoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RADcustom</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wnroscoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">... and 50 loaded rounds will ship with this rifle </div></div>

wink.gif
</div></div>

I have an 07 (Manufacturing) that includes ammo
wink.gif
The ammo will ship separately of course </div></div>

Yeah, I was referring to the shipping.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wnroscoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">RL19, H1000, RL25 will get the initial knod. While I'd like to take credit, Tim McWhorter of McWhorter Rifles has been building this caliber for a couple of years now. I'm building one for a client and ordering the reamer for chambering.

130 Berger VLD's at 3,375 fps
140 Berger VLD's at 3,275 fps </div></div>

In several 6.5-06 and 6.5-06 AI's we've found that H1000 is ideal for 130's and with the straight 6.5-06 it was a touch fast for the 140's.

RL19 is way too fast in my experience, even RL22 is too fast.

RETUMBO is a tiny bit slow on the 140's in the straight 6.5-06 and awesome in the AI version.

Give me a shout if you have any questions on the loading data and I'll see what else I can get you. I loved the cartridge but with a 500rd/month habit with it the barrels lasted 10-12 weeks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wnroscoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The norma brass is soft, hence the 257 Wby Nosler brass I'm using. </div></div>

Might try and sell him on using 7 Rem Mag brass. Much cheaper, very hard, very easy to do. Found no downside when using it in my .257 Wby...

John