• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6.5 x 47 Lapua

sandman2004

Private
Minuteman
Jan 31, 2010
Mooresville, NC
Well I just took the leap. Ordered a 6.5x47 Lapua from Tactical Rifles. Starting to plan the loading process. Any of you guys have any pet loads for your 6.5x47?

Re: 6.5 x 47 Lapua

I started playing with the light bullets, but discovered the heavy ones work much, much better in the wind, and are just as accurate.

I like the 142g SMK on top of Hodgdon H4350 powder. I'd suggest that you work up a load somewhere between 39.5 and 42.5 grains. Watch for a sticky bolt as you approach 42.5g and you'll be fine.

I run mine 0.010" off the lands, and have settled on 40.7 grains in my rifle.

My pet load is 38.0 grains Varget under the 123 scenar .010 into the lands with CCI 450 primers. Runs 2925 out of my 24" Brux and shoots very well!!

37.2 gr of R15 with a 123gr Lapua bullet. CCI 450 primer. Also works good with the 123 Hornady's. Gets me close to 2900 fps in a 25.5" Bartlein barrel.

What are you're barrel lenghts??

Don't mean to Hijack the thread. Sorry.

I was Just wondering,becasue I'm going to be having a 6.5x47 built as well.. I was told to use a 28" barrel.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TiDavis</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Im getting a 22inch. That is what was suggested to me </div></div>

What will be using yours for, hunting, work, target shooting(What distances)??

I'm going to have a 26" barrel on mine. Why? I figured I'll start there and see what happens. I intend to target shoot exclusively with this rifle.

Gonna use it for play, some hunting, holes in paper. They said no prob reaching out to 1K with it. They said from 22 to 24 inch might get 50-70 fps.

37.8 grains of varget, 130 jlk, wolf srm primer, seated to 2.81 gets me 2815fps from a 22 inch 8 twist shilen. Work up to this of course, but its not a hot load.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TiDavis</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Gonna use it for play, some hunting, holes in paper. They said no prob reaching out to 1K with it. They said from 22 to 24 inch might get 50-70 fps. </div></div>

Thanks..

Yes, I'm going to use my mine for play to.. I just have to finialize everything, then the wait begins..

Congrats your new stick.. We want pics..

What bullet are you planning on using?

37.5 of varget with a 123 scenar.

That's the first load I tried and it shot .3" five shot group at 100yrds. I didn't try anything else.
grin.gif

I'm building two, both with a 27" full bull contour on Savage actions. One for me and one for my old man. I should have all the parts in a week or so, can't wait to get started. I'm going to try the 123 Scenars first.

Yeah the wait is gonna kill me Moose. But what the heck 6mos for a wicked accurate stick or a year for a Ferrari..........Im goin with the stick, more fun.....well maybe not but I sure as hell cant cut the check for a ferrari. Then again a Ferrari will sure as hell get ya laid. LOL I will definitely post pics on its arrival.
Rad, I was recommended to use the 142 SMK although alot of threads on here are saying the 123 scenar.

I run the 142gr SMK's and was bangin a 20x20 plate at 960yds this weekend at 8.6 mils running at 2616 FPS avg.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RADcustom</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What bullet are you planning on using?

37.5 of varget with a 123 scenar.

That's the first load I tried and it shot .3" five shot group at 100yrds. I didn't try anything else.
grin.gif
</div></div>

+1 but mine was just a tad smaller
laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TiDavis</div><div class="ubbcode-body">308, who is building yours? </div></div>

Howard Mahute at Rumble Wepnz 1-850-426-8740. He goes by the handle shooter53 on here. Everything he's built screams like a raped friggin' date. Every custom he's built shoot's in the low two's to mid three's with factory match ammo. I know this first hand because I'm the one that test's every rifle he produces!
smile.gif