• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6.5 x 47 or not?

Icallem

Football Ref
Minuteman
Feb 10, 2011
N. Central MO
I have a Savage in the safe and with to much time on my hands I got to thinking I would get a different barrel for it. A call to Jim @ Northland netted me the option of 6.5 Creedmoor or 6.5 x 47L. Both in stock and ready to go. Jim talked up the 6.5x47 so I was thinking pretty hard about it. However when looking on line with 4 different places, there was no brass to be found. I could buy new shells, but no brass. Is this a common problem. Should I pass on that cal.? It seems the 6.5 Creedmore is available.

I checked;
Grafs
Sinclair
Midway
Natchez

Re: 6.5 x 47 or not?

Try looking at 3rd Generation Shooting Supply....bet they got some....and my vote is for the 6.5x47L all day long

Just checked they have 50 some boxes in stock...$106

To answer your question you really can't go wrong with either one. There are advantages to both.

6.5x47 great balistics, great brass, very little recoil, very accurate with all types of powder and bullets.

6.5 creedmoor: great balistics, very little recoil. You can push the 140's a bit fast than 6.5x47. However Hornady is the only brass for it, and it's not near the quality of Lapua. Brass has more fill compacity than 6.5x47.

Both have good barrel life.

I have 2 6.5x47's with another on the way, and one 6.5 creedmoor. I love both of them. I personally would go with the 6.5x47, but that's my opinion.

PS. Look at bruno's they have 6.5x47 brass in stock.

http://www.brunoshooters.com/Merchant2/m...ategory_Code=7L

I called them to make sure.

KT

Thanks guys, I think I'll call Jim and get this going.
The 6.5 x 47 must be the/a hot ticket right now, as the places I look don't have everything. One place will have brass but no dies. Another, full body dies but no neck die. I guess that is why we do this, so we can look around for things.

This is a long action, but that won't matter will it? It is currently a 25-06 setting in an A5 McM.

There is no reason to have the 6.5x47 on a long action. You can seat the longest 6.5mm bullet out as far as you want and they will still fit into a short action magazine. 6.5x47 is a very well designed short action cartridge. A long action will get you nothing except increase the length of your rifle.

Also, Powder Valley has 6.5L brass in stock

http://www.powdervalleyinc.com/

$104 a box!!!! Wow. It was under $80 when I bought mine. The brass will last a long, long time however (its a small primer, so its tough as nails).

Yup, 3rdgen and powder valley is where I get mine.

I already have the long action in the A-5. I don't want to spend any additional money other than barrel, brass and dies. I had not given much thought as to what I could put in a long action, it is just that Jim has these two barrels in stock. I could not reach him yesterday, so this has not happened yet.

I just finished a Savage build recently in 6.5x47L. I would highly recommend it. You won't look back if you do.

I picked up a 26" shilen barrel which is 1 in 8 twist. Unfortuanately I haven't been able to shoot it as much as I would like, but my best 3 shot goups have been in the 2's. I've only gotten a chance to shoot 5 shot groups once and the conditions were crappy (which translates into I was shooting like crap). My biggest group with the build so far has been .8 ish. So far I'm 100% sub moa. I just need to get more time behind the trigger.