• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6.5 X 54 Mannlicher Schoenauer wannabe sniper

sandwarrior

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 21, 2007
in yooperland
So, I just got hold of this after wanting a Mannlicher Schoenauer rifle for a long time. I wanted one in 6.5 X 54, but would have settled for one in 30-06 or .270 (later models). Anyhow, I stumbled upon this on auction. No one probably bid on it as it was a Greek contract rifle that got sporterized. It's an early first contract so Austrian made. (later ones made by Breda under license. It's gonna have some work done to it to make it more shootable.
I was disapointed that loads given today are pretty anemic. I worked up to what I wanted anyways. 36.3 gr. of Shooters World Long Rifle behind a 140/147 gr. bullet. This BTW, does NOT feed ELD/VLD type bullets. It needs a round nose bullet Am trying other loads to see what works. RN bullets on the way as NO WAY IN HELL WOULD I SHAME MY 6.5 CREED WITH THEM. 😜😜 And, I neither need or prefer RNs for my 6.5x55 Swede's.
pix884456295.jpg

As you can see, the cantilever mount is a bit long. The elevation is the rear screw under the scope moving that skinny little bar you see just behind the rings. L-R is adjusted by the same bar using the front screw you see just forward of the rings. The trigger is good and of course, the action cycles like a good Mannlicher should, smooth as silk. I took the scope off to try the iron sights. Due to the Monte Carlo stock, you can't get your face down low enough to use them. So, working on that as well.

Not a true sniper, but good use of a classic action

I would adjust the stock and stay with open sights unless ... you want to give a whole lot of dollars to NECG:)! Those actions are too awkward for me but every example is beautifully made.

• Haha
Reactions: sirhrmechanic
I would adjust the stock and stay with open sights unless ... you want to give a whole lot of dollars to NECG:)! Those actions are too awkward for me but every example is beautifully made.
The action itself isn't awkward, It's like the stock was made for a smaller person. And this has a turned down ball type bolt handle, not a butterknife. To me, those are awkward. I hate to do it, but lowering the comb seems to be the only option to get down on the sights. If I then run into problems when I put the scope back on, I'll have to figure out how to make a temporary comb for it.

Reactions: ZG47A
The action itself isn't awkward, It's like the stock was made for a smaller person. And this has a turned down ball type bolt handle, not a butterknife. To me, those are awkward. I hate to do it, but lowering the comb seems to be the only option to get down on the sights. If I then run into problems when I put the scope back on, I'll have to figure out how to make a temporary comb for it.
I said awkward for me. I like the action itself but the bolt handle is too far forward for me, unless I take the rifle off my shoulder and move it back each time I need to operate the action. Have fun🙂!

Reactions: sandwarrior

You may have found some of my posts on other 'sites, or have just swiped some of the same internet images as I.

By the way, the 'Breda' (Y1903/14/27) MS were very likely manufactured at Steyr in Austria and merely 'drop shipped' through Breda to avoid export restrictions of the day. Another theory holds that they were assembled at Breda of Steyr made parts but there is no firm evidence to support.

The 'actions' of 'Greek Contract' (Y1903, Y1903/14. Y1903/14/27, 'System 1930') are identical to the pre WW2 built M1903 Mannlicher Schoenauer. They were prototyped as M1900, introduced at the Paris World's Fair (Exposition Universelle de Paris) of that year.

Cartridge is 6.5X54 and the Schoenauer magazine, though the smoothest ever when properly fed, is rather particular as to its diet. Look at the image you've posted of magazine with cartridges and consider that the cartridges act as roller bearings in a race.

Take up reloading, make them exactly like this:

MS Eley 6.5X54.jpg

If you can find r
You may have found some of my posts on other 'sites, or have just swiped some of the same internet images as I.

By the way, the 'Breda' (Y1903/14/27) MS were very likely manufactured at Steyr in Austria and merely 'drop shipped' through Breda to avoid export restrictions of the day. Another theory holds that they were assembled at Breda of Steyr made parts but there is no firm evidence to support.

The 'actions' of 'Greek Contract' (Y1903, Y1903/14. Y1903/14/27, 'System 1930') are identical to the pre WW2 built M1903 Mannlicher Schoenauer. They were prototyped as M1900, introduced at the Paris World's Fair (Exposition Universelle de Paris) of that year.

Cartridge is 6.5X54 and the Schoenauer magazine, though the smoothest ever when properly fed, is rather particular as to its diet. Look at the image you've posted of magazine with cartridges and consider that the cartridges act as roller bearings in a race.

Take up reloading, make them exactly like this:

View attachment 8160697
I do reload, Haven't been able to find round nose bullets for mine. So, whatever I use, it's single fed.

Reactions: Rothhammer1
If you can find r

I do reload, Haven't been able to find round nose bullets for mine. So, whatever I use, it's single fed.
Interesting that the spitzer bullets don't feed right? Seems they were produced once upon a time in the old days but I guess they were for other magazine types.
ms-6-5-westley-richards-1937-38-jpg.462329

Reactions: Rothhammer1
Interesting that the spitzer bullets don't feed right? Seems they were produced once upon a time in the old days but I guess they were for other magazine types.
ms-6-5-westley-richards-1937-38-jpg.462329

There were.

The 6.5X54MS is the direct descendant of the 6.5X53R (rimmed) and is loaded to the same specs, including projectiles.

Custom gunmakers produced rifles to chamber the 6.5X54MS based on actions other than Steyr's Mannlicher Schoenauer.
The '.256 Mannlicher Schoenauer' designation was British.

If you can find r

You should be able to load two, especially if you load three of the original profile below them (live or 'dummy').

It's usually the third cartridge that will tip and jam in a void if the projectile does not conform closely to the Schoenauer magazine's spool. It's the cartridge OAL and profile at the 'top third' that counts.

MS  Magazine flipped.jpg

MS 9.5X57 DWM531.jpg

You should be able to load two, especially if you load three of the original profile below them (live or 'dummy').

It's usually the third cartridge that will tip and jam in a void if the projectile does not conform closely to the Schoenauer magazine's spool. It's the cartridge OAL and profile at the 'top third' that counts.

View attachment 8161409

View attachment 8161410
Mine will not load a single spitzer from the magazine. Not paying the atrocious prices where I can find round nose loaded ammo.

ADDED: tried different seating depths, no fix. So, it's mostly the profile of the case in relation to the shape of the magazine followers.

Mine will not load a single spitzer from the magazine. Not paying the atrocious prices where I can find round nose loaded ammo.

ADDED: tried different seating depths, no fix. So, it's mostly the profile of the case in relation to the shape of the magazine followers.
For 6.5X54, Prvi Partisan brand cartridges should fit.

'Ammunition to go' has it for $40 a box.

Mannlicher Schoenauers of the proprietary chamberings are expensive to shoot. The 9X56 (M1905), 8X56 (M1908), and 9.5X57 (M1910) usually require handloading if and when proper projectiles can be found.

They were originally intended as 'stalking rifles' which were carried often and shot infrequently on safari or shikar.

At least you can still enjoy it as a 'single shot' proposition.

I picked up a sporterized Greek 03 a few months back. Fitted with a medium heavy .243 barrel, Johnson side mount scope and a shitty stock. Someone wants it cheap PM me.

I picked up a sporterized Greek 03 a few months back. Fitted with a medium heavy .243 barrel, Johnson side mount scope and a shitty stock. Someone wants it cheap PM me.
If the receiver is in decent condition it is, or could be, an excellent shooter.

The 'actions' of Y1903 (also Y1903/14, Y1903/14/27, 'System 1930') MS were every bit as good as the legendary M1903 Mannlicher Schoenauer sporting rifles and stutzen. Stocks can be found but will likely cost dearly.

The rifles are made like watches. They have faded due to all the above issues. Split bridge, funky mount. Slow lock time and magazine that allows only one ctg and bullet combination.
They are also a very small ring action and best kept to 40k psi.