• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6.5CM.... 140 vs. 147 ELDM....

ZA206

Private
Minuteman
Jan 24, 2014
Been working on load development and have used these two bullets in some of my loads thus far. Very pleased with both in my rifle, but if deciding between the two, which would you choose based on the following data, assuming the same 100 yard accuracy (haven't shot at longer ranges yet):

140 ELDM - right at 2800 fps with a 9.0 SD (using Staball 6.5)
147 ELDM - right at 2620 fps with 9.0 SD (using Staball 6.5)

I can get lower SD's (closer to 5) with the 147 if I bump the speed up to 2700 fps, but accuracy may suffer a hair (maybe not, but I'll need to test). The same might also be true of the 140, but I need to do some additional testing. I also have H4350 in the stable as well.

I'm asking this because I only bought one box of each and probably have 70 left in each box, so I can run several more test ladders (fine tuning powder and even a seating dept trial if needed) before running out of bullets. The goal for this rifle/load development is to take a long range shooting class and excel at it. I don't need tons of variety in what I'm shooting out of it, just one superior long range loading and maybe one superior short range loading.

-ZA

Punch them in to the calculator. From
Memory they're within click or two of one another all the way out to 1k. Id pick the 140 because they’ve been very consistent shape since introduction, with no blowups.

Edit: Just looked at my old dope cards. To 1k they were identical. Less than .1 mil difference in drop/drift to 1k with 100 fps muzzle velocity spread between them.

When I was messing with the 147 eldm and staball 6.5, I was getting excellent groups and low SDs at 100 yd testing. After shooting paper further out I found some of the 147 were blowing up and destabilizing around 400yd.

There's some threads on here noting problems. I am not sure if these issues are still occurring, but it was enough to steer me away from using them and I stuck with the 140 eldm and smk which perform very reliably.

• Wow
Reactions: FredHammer
when groups open up but sd/es is low, try adjusting seating depth to bring the groups in.

When I was messing with the 147 eldm and staball 6.5, I was getting excellent groups and low SDs at 100 yd testing. After shooting paper further out I found some of the 147 were blowing up and destabilizing around 400yd.

There's some threads on here noting problems. I am not sure if these issues are still occurring, but it was enough to steer me away from using them and I stuck with the 140 eldm and smk which perform very reliably.
What velocity were you sending them at?

If you have enough patience you have plenty of components left to do fine tuning. With that fine tuning I think you will learn a lot of each loads capability and potential at not only 100 yards but further distances where you can confirm if you do or do not have have the odd results with the 147’s have gained notoriety for.

I've only shot the 147s since they came out. The 140s I've never tried because I still have a few thousand 147s to burn up.

I've never had a 147 blow up using 1:8 twist barrels at 2750.

It seems most of the blow-ups come from prc and 1:7 barrels.