• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6.5CM for 800y-mile match?

LJT88

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jul 16, 2019
    Theres a local mini ELR match coming up with targets starting at 800y and going to a mile. I have a tikka tac a1 in 6.5. I know it would be a bit undergunned but I think I still want to do it. I know I wont probably be competitive but I think it would be a fun time. At the same time I'm not to eager to go waist a bunch of ammo.

What do you guys think? Does a 6.5CM have any place at a firing line for a match like that?

I only shoot factory loads and have a stash of 147 eldm and 130 berger. The Tikka runs a little slow with the 147's but I still feel it would better choice for those ranges. What would you guys run?

Just go for fun and enjoy yourself which I think you will. Actually I watched a guy doing a 1-1 class at our range get a 1st round hit on his 1st day shooting at the mile with 6.5 and 140 ELDM factory load. Actually did very well throughout the morning it was a large target, but hey he had a blast and that is key!

Reactions: BurtG and 143lrsd
    It's not going to be very competitive but is still doable past 1500 yards your strike rate is going to be greatly reduced. However getting your feet wet and having fun is what it is all about and hopefully you will like the idea of the sport and step up to a much better platform in a much better caliber and cartridge

Yep, I would do it with the 6.5 Tikka and have a blast. Think you are going to need all the projectile weight you can get, so go with the 147. You are right that it is a marginal caliber for that, but should still be a doable challenge.

Take notes of the condition, your misses. Learn from it. It is all about the learning curve

I only shoot factory loads and have a stash of 147 eldm and 130 berger. The Tikka runs a little slow with the 147's but I still feel it would better choice for those ranges. What would you guys run?
    Everybody always defaults to the heavier bullets thinking the BC will make the difference. I would run the ballistics on both loads and see what it looks like. If the 130 has a decent BC it may surprise you how far it will go. Once you start getting near transonic things can really change.

Hornady 147 match ammo shows 1127 fps at 1600 yards.

My buddy went 7/10 at a mile last spring at the Accuracy Indiana match with American Gunner 6.5 Creedmoor 140 HPBT. Took him 3 rounds to figure out the wind and elevation. Just go and have fun, it’s a blast 👍

• Love
    Reactions: BurtG
    My buddy went 7/10 at a mile last spring at the Accuracy Indiana match with American Gunner 6.5 Creedmoor 140 HPBT. Took him 3 rounds to figure out the wind and elevation. Just go and have fun, it’s a blast 👍
    Love reading that....awesome fun

You must be talking about Coleman's Creek. I am going. I have shot a few PRS matches there and am familiar with the range. I am guessing the vast majority of the targets will be 1200ish yards and in. There are going to be 32 targets total and I really doubt 4 will be beyond 1200. If you clean 28 targets and drop every shot on 4 targets you will still be doing pretty damn good. Don't let the distance hold you back. Just nail the close targets and look at the long shots as a learning experience.

Reactions: LJT88
    You must be talking about Coleman's Creek. I am going. I have shot a few PRS matches there and am familiar with the range. I am guessing the vast majority of the targets will be 1200ish yards and in. There are going to be 32 targets total and I really doubt 4 will be beyond 1200. If you clean 28 targets and drop every shot on 4 targets you will still be doing pretty damn good. Don't let the distance hold you back. Just nail the close targets and look at the long shots as a learning experience.

Oh man, wish I could join you guys. I'm a member there but just heard about the match a couple of weeks ago and already have plans that weekend. Looks like they are doing 2 a year, I'll definitely try and make the next one. They must be doing it on the ukd range to get those longer shots.

Do it, OP.

At my local mile match we had a guy with a .308 and 185gr Juggs get on the mile target very early in the morning before the wind picked up. Far from ideal, but it was fun watching him do it and the smile on his face when he got 5 or 6 hits in a row was classic.

You used to be able to buy that ammo for $0.68 and sell the brass for $0.25

Like most things. Should have bought more