• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6.5cm Hornady BTHP Match w/IMR4350 in Federal Brass

Watching

Private
Minuteman
Jun 16, 2020
So I am starting into reloading for 6.5cm. I have a couple hundred pieces of Federal brass from their Non-Typical 140g rounds and a bunch of Hornady brass. I was going to go to the lgs to pick up some H4350 with my buddy but couldnt go. He volunteered to grab it for me but apparently the counter guy gave him (or he asked for) gave him IMR4350 instead. Disappointing but it is what it is. I am using Hornady 140g BTHPs and I still need to source primers.

Does anyone have a good starting load for IMR 4350, federal brass, including which primer? I have found several for hornady brass but nothing for federal.

Thanks.

Per Hogden website.

Start: 37.1
Max: 40.3

Hornandy brass, but starting at minimum load and working your way up, you shouldn't have issues. Keep eye on pressure signs as you go.

I always use Federal match LRP

Hope this helps

PS, websites are always low on max charges so keep working till you get where you want safely.

Thanks. I appreciate the input. I found a bunch for hornady but I wasnt sure how similar or different the brass might be or if it would matter using the minimun load. Most factory 140s Ive shot that my rifle likes are around 2750-2850fps on the chrono. My plan was to start at 37.0 and work my way up in .02s till I hit 2700. Then start shooting 5 shot groups in .01 increments till I get some good grouping without pressure signs. Not sure if thats the best way but I figure it should get me close.

I run Accurate 4350 in one of my 6.5 loads and while H4350 gets a lot of press, I would run my Accurate 4350 load against any H4350 load in the real world. Accurate 4350 is next to IMR 4350 on burn chart.. Another powder to consider as you evolve is RL 16. Follow the book recommendations and I bet you find one that works for you.

Thanks guys. This will be my first attempt at any precision reloading. Ive reloaded pistol, 5.56 and for my favorite old hunting rifle for quite a while but nothing real precise. Hopefully I can come up with something while maintaining my self imposed budget.

Whichever brass you choose for your work ups, stick with it-don’t commingle. Have found Federal brass generally heavier than Hornady, which might dictate a lower max charge. Lots of useful 6.5CM data in the reloading threads. Post your results.

What bobke said. Federal brass has a much lower internal volume. A reasonable powder charge in Hornady brass can easily be over pressure in Federal brass.

Good to know. Thank you. I will post in the 6.5 thread when I finish my workup.