• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6.5CM: load @ 2.800 or 0.020 off the lands

Jmccracken1214

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Dec 10, 2018
    Thomasville, NC
    I’ve got a new production R700 and with a 140 eld, to the lands is measuring out at 2.914.
    Since it’s got such a long throat, should I start my loads at .020 off or closer to book spec, which would be 0.114 jump.

Rifle is brand new.

I’ve got a new production R700 and with a 140 eld, to the lands is measuring out at 2.914.
    Since it’s got such a long throat, should I start my loads at .020 off or closer to book spec, which would be 0.114 jump.

Rifle is brand new.
    Will a 2.894 COAL fit in your mag? I run MDT mags and with the binder plate (which seems to be very helpful for feeding) the max mag length is 2.87 COAL

Reactions: themightytimmah

Rifle is brand new.
    Perhaps seat the bullets a caliber's depth into the case, or to magazine length (whichever is shorter). Jump is fine even if it's a big jump.

How'd it shoot with the 2.800"?
    I put down Sub 1/2 MOA with that ammo and I found myself stupidly changing the seating depth just because I can and im not able to put down the same group I did with 2.800"

edit: sorry for some reason I thought you were comparing to factory carts.

That’s longer than saami. With the 140 eld and saami you are about 2.870”.

Typical for the 700 though to be long. I would try and load them longer than the 2.800” but doesn’t need to be at .020 off if that seats the bullet too far out of the neck.

start out close to the lands then work your way away. I went about 80 thou away in steps of .006" and ended up being happiest with @ .050" of jump. Still wish I could get better performance but I am at the limit of my abilities to get better out of it. But you won't know what it likes till you shoot it.