• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report 6.5cm Sellier & Bellot 140gr SP

Sniper1*

Lieutenant
Minuteman
Nov 29, 2006
Rochester, IN
I'm shooting my Bergara B-14 HMR 6.5cm. I started with some Hornady 147 ELD-M and Hornady 143 ELD-X factory ammo. This gun likes the 143 ELD-X better than the -M. However, it seems to be slow. Using my LabRadar I get an average of 2560fps @ 60 F.

I decided to try some Sellier & Bellot 140gr SP (SB65C). With that I got 2560fps average in 50 F. (about 3/4 to 7/8 moa accuracy @ 100 and 1/2 moa @ 200)

Couple of Questions - 1# Why does this seem so slow for a 6.5cm.

#2 - Anyone know the bullet length for the S&B 140gr SP in their SB65C ammo. It shoots really well in my gun and for 1/2 the price of Hornady I'll be switching. This is a hunting rifle and not a match rifle so the extreme accuracy is as necessary as it may be for some others.

I bought a bunch of the s&b and it is a light load but very consistent at short range. I would look at the BC before investing to much out at distance there vertical dispersion for to the BC will show up.

I keep it for shooting with the wife and friends and family at 100y.

I never chrono’d that ammo but with my factory bergara barrel, it shot very good .75-1@ groups at 100. And like $13 a box!
My Wilson barrel shoots it very well too

Cheap, accurate out of my Bergara at 100 & 200 so far. As I stated this is a hunting gun, not a match or long range shooter. At best most likely will be 300-400 max distance providing S&B ammo will shoot well enough for that.

I’m just trying to find the info to input into a ballistics program. Got the BC G7 .197 (not great I know), Chrono @ 60f 2560 (which seems slow still). Just can’t find bullet length anywhere on the interweb. My google-fu is diminishing.

Reactions: seansmd
Cheap, accurate out of my Bergara at 100 & 200 so far. As I stated this is a hunting gun, not a match or long range shooter. At best most likely will be 300-400 max distance providing S&B ammo will shoot well enough for that.

I’m just trying to find the info to input into a ballistics program. Got the BC G7 .197 (not great I know), Chrono @ 60f 2560 (which seems slow still). Just can’t find bullet length anywhere on the interweb. My google-fu is diminishing.
Well, don't you have real-life trajectory data for 100 and 200 yards? And you have a BC and MV. So maybe you could use all that data to adjust bullet length on your solver to make it match the known trajectory.

Or you could just buy a cheap, kinetic bullet puller and measure the thing yourself...……….

69.7mm
Screenshot_20191015-152022_Drive.jpg

Because it has less powder?

Well I guess that is an obvious answer for the lesser educated... Maybe I should have clarified and said that I have seen other reported velocities in excess of 2650+ with the same Model of rifle and same Ammo...

I am just a bit surprised that this rifle only shoots these 140 and 143 gr bullets at 2560 and 2559 fps. It is only 22" barrel so maybe that's all it's gonna get. However, as stated above others are reporting shooting the same ammo at 2650+ and even 2700 fps.

Well, don't you have real-life trajectory data for 100 and 200 yards? And you have a BC and MV. So maybe you could use all that data to adjust bullet length on your solver to make it match the known trajectory.

Or you could just buy a cheap, kinetic bullet puller and measure the thing yourself...……….

Again, fairly simple answer yes.... I was just trying to find out if someone had already done this or had the information. I haven't had a chance to get any more distance so I don't have enough data points to get a good ballistic curve as of yet.

As for the data sheet that seansmd posted, yeah I have that too. No where listed is Bullet Length...

I haven't had a chance to get any more distance so I don't have enough data points to get a good ballistic curve as of yet.

You have trajectory data for 100 and 200 yards, right?

Your max range for this rifle is going to be 400 yards more or less, right?

You know the BC and muzzle velocity, right?

I'd say you have enough data to get a first pass approximation bullet length by adjusting that value so that your solver matches your observed trajectory.

Once you get access to 400 yards, see what it will really do.

Or you can spend 15 bucks and sacrifice a couple of cartridges to pull bullets with this:

Reactions: stello1001
I'm shooting my Bergara B-14 HMR 6.5cm. I started with some Hornady 147 ELD-M and Hornady 143 ELD-X factory ammo. This gun likes the 143 ELD-X better than the -M. However, it seems to be slow. Using my LabRadar I get an average of 2560fps @ 60 F.

I decided to try some Sellier & Bellot 140gr SP (SB65C). With that I got 2560fps average in 50 F. (about 3/4 to 7/8 moa accuracy @ 100 and 1/2 moa @ 200)

Couple of Questions - 1# Why does this seem so slow for a 6.5cm.

#2 - Anyone know the bullet length for the S&B 140gr SP in their SB65C ammo. It shoots really well in my gun and for 1/2 the price of Hornady I'll be switching. This is a hunting rifle and not a match rifle so the extreme accuracy is as necessary as it may be for some others.

I can pull a couple bullets for you later today or tomorrow? I will follow up on the forum with some more information later tonight.

Thanks,

Erin

You have trajectory data for 100 and 200 yards, right?

Your max range for this rifle is going to be 400 yards more or less, right?

You know the BC and muzzle velocity, right?

I'd say you have enough data to get a first pass approximation bullet length by adjusting that value so that your solver matches your observed trajectory.

Once you get access to 400 yards, see what it will really do.

Yes all very true. This post was as much about seeing what I believe is slower MV in a Rifle/Ammo combo than others are seeing with the same. Maybe not, maybe someone is shooting the same ammo from a 22” barrel that is roughly the same as mine. That’s what I was hoping to find out here. The BL was basically an add on to the MV thoughts. Thanks for your input though. It is appreciated.

I can pull a couple bullets for you later today or tomorrow? I will follow up on the forum with some more information later tonight.

Thanks,

Erin

Thanks that would be great. Also thank you for your input.

Yes all very true. This post was as much about seeing what I believe is slower MV in a Rifle/Ammo combo than others are seeing with the same. Maybe not, maybe someone is shooting the same ammo from a 22” barrel that is roughly the same as mine. That’s what I was hoping to find out here. The BL was basically an add on to the MV thoughts. Thanks for your input though. It is appreciated.

Thanks that would be great. Also thank you for your input.

I have a Bergara B14 HMR 22" and usually get around 2600fps with the SB65A.

Tikka 22" barrel gets 2550
Ruger American 22" 2580

My Bergara HMR PRO 24" usually is around 2700fps with the SB65A. The SB65B 131 SP is 2820fps. I will pull some bullets tonight and give you some specs on that bullet.

I will pull some of my LabRadar data and see if I still have some strings with the SB65A.

Erin

I get 2681 from a gen 2 RPR, I haven't put it through my gucci gun

Seems pretty close to what I was getting from a 20” Tikka 6.5 creedmoor

140eld : 2600
American Gunner : 2560
Winchester 140 : 2570

OK that's more like what I was looking for... I was kind of wondering is I just had a slow barrel for a 6.5 but seems about right I guess. The gun shoots very well and is a pleasure to shoot but I get better trajectory from a 168gr bullet out of my HMR 20" 308 (2602fps) at the velocity I'm getting from the CM. When shooting a higher BC like the 143 ELD-X it was very close to my 308 in ballistics. Again, Thanks for the responses

SB65A 140gr FMJ BT Bullet 1.224" COL 2.739"
SB65B 131gr SP Bullet 1.143" COL 2.734"
SB65C 140gr SP Bullet 1.210" COL 2.730"

I did not pull any from the SB65D 156gr SP but if you would like me to let me know.

Erin

Reactions: Jardinski