• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6.5CM to 6.5 PRC

MK3XXX

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Mar 1, 2013
    -
    I have a GA Precision with a templar v2 in 6.5 creedmoor that ive been shooting for a few years and love, i am also currently building a Bighorn Origin with a Proof barrel also in 6.5 Creedmoor that will double as a hunting rifle. When its time to rebarrel my GA I would like to try a new caliber and the 6.5PRC is most likely what i will try. Just wondering how easy/hard it would be for GA to change to the PRC, just a rebarrel and a magnum bolt face? Can the Templar V2 be changed to a magnum bolt face? Kind of a noob question but appreciate any replies.

Yes, a new magnum bolt since you can’t swap heads on the Templar bolts and a new 6.5 barrel. Will need to run 300WSM mags as well.

Shouldn’t need bottom metal, 6.5 PRC works using short action DBM just need different mags (300 WSM) which I advised of.
    This short magnums work just fine with short action AI magazine and bottom metal constraints.
    You can but WSM specific mags or modified 308 mags.

Shouldn’t need bottom metal, 6.5 PRC works using short action DBM just need different mags (300 WSM) which I advised of.
    Didn't see your post, I should have been more clear, if your hunting and shooting off hand, you might want to change your bottom metal. It’s up to what you want in a hunting gun.

Reactions: Pusher591
    This short magnums work just fine with short action AI magazine and bottom metal constraints.
    You can but WSM specific mags or modified 308 mags.

I was under the impression a modified AI mag would only allow roughly 2.92 OAL and I know the factory PRC is loaded to 2.94 or 2.95 OAL.

I was under the impression a modified AI mag would only allow roughly 2.92 OAL and I know the factory PRC is loaded to 2.94 or 2.95 OAL.
    You can modify AI mags or get AI compatibile mags without binder plates that easily handle PRC length.

Accurate makes Ali type mags specifically designed for WSM/SAUM/PRC cartilages

Reactions: Pusher591
    A hot 6.5 creed with RL26 will match mild 6.5 PRC loads and get you better barrel life and keep your current bolt, mags and barrel. You can get a 147 to 2900 in a creedmoor if your barrel is long enough.

I ran into issues trying to squeeze factory 6.5PRC rounds into the Origin. I ended up moving to an SR3 with Wyatt's cut to clear the tip of the rounds, otherwise, they would make contact with the bottom of the action.

The origin build will be a 6.5 creedmoor, my GA Precision is the gun i am contemplating changing calibers when the barrel is done, im at around 700 rounds right now so i have time. I was also considering a 6 creedmoor as well

I ran into issues trying to squeeze factory 6.5PRC rounds into the Origin. I ended up moving to an SR3 with Wyatt's cut to clear the tip of the rounds, otherwise, they would make contact with the bottom of the action.

Factory ammo? I was hoping to be able to do this or a saum barrel for my origin...

With only 700 rounds in a few years there will be some hot new caliber available by the time you shoot out that creedmoor.

The origin build will be a 6.5 creedmoor, my GA Precision is the gun i am contemplating changing calibers when the barrel is done, im at around 700 rounds right now so i have time. I was also considering a 6 creedmoor as well

I think the 6CM and 6.5PRC have very different reasons for being good cartridges.

Just my 2 cents ~

The 6.5PRC is going to shine for hunting larger or further animals, especially when looking for 7mag type performance in an ultra-light mountain gun where recoil is an issue. Yes, you could stretch it into some of the longer-range field matches as a great choice. But, not really the best choice for your high round count PRS matches, it does recoil more than the standard 6.5 and fits less in a mag. The 6CM will shine in PRS type matches when you want, a hair less than 6.5's recoil but a bit flatter shooter and maybe plan on a smaller game, closer. But you're really going to cut your barrel life down compared to the 6.5CM.

I do not have the 6.5PRC, but did a 6.5SAUM and several 7s along with 6.5s and a 6CM. Of those, when run hot 3100+ for the 7mm/6.5saum/6CM and the 6.5CM with 123s @ 3000+, only the 6.5 seems to not make me worry about the barrels. I've lost 7mm, 6.5SAUM barrels as low as 900 rounds, and a 6CM getting funky way, way too early... Don't get me wrong I think the 6.5PRC/6.5SAUM and 7MM are great rounds for special purposes, especially hunting with lighter guns at longer ranges.

I'd really figure out what your main goals are first. I switch barrels like a lot of people but also find that sometimes it is just less expensive just to buy a second gun if the intended purpose makes sense. Let's say you just want an occasional lightweight hunter and that's your thoughts on a 6.5PRC. You'll be about $1200+ for the conversion on the cheap with a good barrel. I was in with a smith spun CF Proof for the 6.5S, bolt, and bottom metal $1,800. My Tikka superlite magnum was about $699.00...

Just food for thought. Don't underestimate the 6.5 as a hunting cartridge if you're not talking really long shots on Elk. Below is a picture of one of my 6.5CMs I use for fields style matches and some hunting. It is not uber light but comes in at 11LBS with a scope that has real turrets the bipod, and a sling. As a side note, people don't often weigh their rigs in complete trim; heck an Atlas PSR and thicker sling often add 2lbs. Anyway, do not sell the 6.5CM short for hunting if that is your thought for the 6.5short mag... The pig below was shot by my Son tracking off tripod running at full speed about 400 yards away and somersaulted on impact dead. This with a little 120gr factory GMX @3000fps.
    Unknown-13.jpeg

Hope this helps in your decision-making process..

Last edited:
    I think the 6CM and 6.5PRC have very different reasons for being good cartridges.

Just my 2 cents ~

The 6.5PRC is going to shine for hunting larger or further animals, especially when looking for 7mag type performance in a ultra light mountain gun where recoils is an issue. Yes you could stretch it into some of the longer range field matches as a great choice. But, not really the best choice for your high round count PRS matches, it does recoil more than the standard 6.5 and fits less in a mag. The 6CM will shine in PRS type matches when you want, a hair less than 6.5 recoil but a bit flatter shooter and maybe plan on smaller game, closer. But your really going to cut your barrel life down compared to the 6.5CM.

I do not have the 6.5PRC, but did a 6.5SAUM and several 7s along with 6.5s and a 6CM. Of those, when run hot 3100+ for the 7mm/6.5saum/6CM and the 6.5CM with 123s @ 3000+, only the 6.5 seems to not make me worry about the barrels. I've lost 7mm, 6.5SAUM barrels as low as 900 rounds and a 6CM getting funky way, way too early... Don't get me wrong I think the 6.5PRC/6.5SAUM and 7MM are great rounds for special purpose, especially hunting with lighter guns at longer ranges.

I'd really figure out what your main goals are first. I switch barrels like a lot of people, but also find that sometimes it is just less expensive just to buy a second gun if the intended purpose makes sense. Lets say you just want an occasional light weight hunter and that's your thoughts on a 6.5PRC. You'll be about $1200+ for the conversion on the cheap with a good barrel.. I was in with a smith spun CF Proof for the 6.5S, bolt and bottom metal $1,800. My Tikka superlite magnum was about $699.00...

Just food for thought. Don't under estimate the 6.5 as a hunting cartridge if your not talking really long shots on Elk. Below is a picture of one of my 6.5CMs I use for fields style matches and some hunting. It is not uber light, but comes in at 12LBS with a scope that has real turrets the bipoid and sling. As a side note, people don't often weigh their rigs in complete trim; heck an Atlas PSR and thicker sling often add 2lbs. Anyway, do not sell the 6.5CM short for hunting if that is your thought for the 6.5short mag... The pig below was shot by my Son tracking off tripod running at full speed about 400 yards away, and summersaulted on impact dead. This with a little 120gr factory GMX @3000fps.
    View attachment 7113338

Hope this helps in your decision making process..
    Thanks for the reply, i guess part of it is curiosity because i have had 3-4 long range builds and they have all been 6.5 creedmoor. Right now I mainly shoot steel at 1000 yards and sometimes our 600 yard targets, I would like to stretch out to 1200-1400 yards which is why I considered the PRC (and to try something different) Ive never really looked into loading the creedmoor hotter for longer distances maybe thats a better route

Thanks for the reply, i guess part of it is curiosity because i have had 3-4 long range builds and they have all been 6.5 creedmoor. Right now I mainly shoot steel at 1000 yards and sometimes our 600 yard targets, I would like to stretch out to 1200-1400 yards which is why I considered the PRC (and to try something different) Ive never really looked into loading the creedmoor hotter for longer distances maybe thats a better route
    The Creedmoor will do quite well past 1000.
    The PRC offers better ballistics that will be noticeable past 1000 but suffers the same problem as any 6.5.
    Those little bullets are at times hard to spot misses on especially beyond 1400-1500 yards

Can you go 6.5PRC to 6.5CM? For example, if I get a rifle chambered in 6.5 PRC will it handle 6.5CM?