• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

6.5G Magazine question

Re: 6.5G Magazine question

No, The ribs have different depths to allow for the wider case and the different angle at which the cartridge case moves toward the breech when chambering a round

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dragbag</div><div class="ubbcode-body">is the only difference the follower? </div></div>

Negative. In short, the 6.5 Grendel mags have shallower ribs on the sides of the mag body to accommodate the fatter/wider body of the Grendel case, as well as different feed lips and, as you mentioned, the follower. There are some other dimensional differences with respect to the Grendel mags, but that's the basics. 5.56/.223 mags won't work and aren't worth modifying if that's what you are thinking about doing.
wink.gif

ETA: Darned internet connection...sandwarrior beat me to it!
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ORD</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dragbag</div><div class="ubbcode-body">is the only difference the follower? </div></div>

Negative. In short, the 6.5 Grendel mags have shallower ribs on the sides of the mag body to accommodate the fatter/wider body of the Grendel case, as well as different feed lips and, as you mentioned, the follower. There are some other dimensional differences with respect to the Grendel mags, but that's the basics. 5.56/.223 mags won't work and aren't worth modifying if that's what you are thinking about doing.
wink.gif

ETA: <span style="font-weight: bold">Darned internet connection...sandwarrior beat me to it!</span>
wink.gif
</div></div>

Yeah, but you explained it better
wink.gif
grin.gif

Thanks guys. Yes that was what I was thinking, that maybe with a little work I could get Magpul's to work. I can't find a single 20+ round magazine anywhere.

I use 556 pmags with my grendel all the time. You cant load them up full, but they will work & feed ok. I use 20 round pmags most of the time. I do have regular grendel mags but perfer the pmags. Im not saying they will work with every grendel out there, but they work in mine & another one i just built friday.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: country888</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I use 556 pmags with my grendel all the time. You cant load them up full, but they will work & feed ok. I use 20 round pmags most of the time. I do have regular grendel mags but perfer the pmags. Im not saying they will work with every grendel out there, but they work in mine & another one i just built friday. </div></div>

I realize the mag capacity will not be the same. I am only concerned with reliability. Sounds to me like the follower, feed lips are also different from what others have posted.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: country888</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I use 556 pmags with my grendel all the time. You cant load them up full, but they will work & feed ok. I use 20 round pmags most of the time. I do have regular grendel mags but perfer the pmags. Im not saying they will work with every grendel out there, but they work in mine & another one i just built friday. </div></div>

I hear tale of people doing this all the time, but personally, having tried a variety of 5.56 mags (brands and capacities) with my Grendel and about four others, I have never found a Grendel that was 100% reliable feeding from them. When Grendel mags can be had relatively cheap and readily (I realize the situation is different at the moment although I know of places that have 10 rounders available now), I see no reason to compromise even slightly on reliability. YMMV!

I have tried to get 5.56 mags to work, and they simply are nothing but a recipe for malfunctions. Without the stack being properly held in position by the ribs (both front and rear), the rounds don't align, or come up properly to the feed lips.

I am very handy getting magazines to do things they aren't intended to do, but trying to get 5.56 mags to work for the Grendel is going to take alot of time, and in the end, you will have a rifle that will probably feed faster if you single load rounds from the sort of sled device used by high power shooters.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ORD</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: country888</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I use 556 pmags with my grendel all the time. You cant load them up full, but they will work & feed ok. I use 20 round pmags most of the time. I do have regular grendel mags but perfer the pmags. Im not saying they will work with every grendel out there, but they work in mine & another one i just built friday. </div></div>

I hear tale of people doing this all the time, but personally, having tried a variety of 5.56 mags (brands and capacities) with my Grendel and about four others, I have never found a Grendel that was 100% reliable feeding from them. When Grendel mags can be had relatively cheap and readily (I realize the situation is different at the moment although I know of places that have 10 rounders available now), I see no reason to compromise even slightly on reliability. YMMV! </div></div>

Im not telling anyone they should use pmags in their grendel. I use them & they are 100% reliable in mine. I load 8 to 10 rounds in a 20 round pmag & it works fine for me. I have 3 c-products grendel mags, but i just choose to use the pmags. Its just my choice.

I use the 20 round pmags with mine but only load to 10 or less. so far it's been 100 percent reliable

I guess I am going to have to wait for the craziness to stop before I can get a Grendel 20+ round magazine. I can wait it out.

The most I could load reliably in a 30 round 5.56 mag was about 12. Even then it was hit and miss. I say see where you can't get C-products mags and get something that works full.

Yep 10 or less in a Pmag and never had an issue and been doing it for a few years.

yes, 5.56 mags will work with the 6.5 grendel but you are loosing half the capacity of a dedicated grendel mag. If you can live with it, any 5.56 mags will do in a pinch.
cheers.