• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6.5G vs creed

cleric

Private
Minuteman
Nov 13, 2011
Dallas, tx
Thinking about doing the larue ultimate upper kit

anyone have an idea how much heavier the large frame is? I am debating going creed for capability but a Grendel will be enough for me

I know my 6.5 Creed with a 24 inch barrel and USO hits the scales at 14.5 pounds.

My 22" 6.5cm is 11lbs no optic

I have a Razor HD Gen1 5-20x50 on it which brings it to around 13.25lbs

Last edited:
Figure about 2.5-3 extra pounds for the larger frame, bolt and carrier, buffer, barrel diameter at the chamber, handguard components and magazine. But the BCG and Barrel is where the majority of the extra weight exists.

Last edited:
Originally I was thinking about going creed. But I think I am going to stick with the Grendel. The weight benefit isn’t there for the few times I shoot that going with creed makes sense

My lightest Grendle weighs under 8lbs also. It's an incredible round.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I've a DMPS pattern AR308 built on a billet Mega MML with a 16" IIRC extended rail, an 18" Christensen Carbon wrapped bull barrel that's 0.936" at the gas block, a JP LMOS BCG, a heavy buffer, and a Magpul STR that weighs 8lbs 4oz naked. Not bad for a large frame gun especially considering that the only parts I selected where I made any effort what so ever to save weight on were the barrel and the BCG. You can go light with the 6.5CM as well if you need to. The carbon wrapped barrels significantly lower the amount of swing weight up front and massively help with shot stabilization especially off hand where the gun handles just like an AR15. Where you can't save weight is in the ammo on my scale 6.5 Grendel Factory Hornady 123gr is 0.55 oz/round vs 6.5cm Factory Hornady 143gr at 0.7 oz/round so the ammo weight difference is not as significant as I've seen some make it out to be but it's something. I wouldn't let weight make this caliber choice for me I'd go with whatever you have your heart set on and what will suit your needs and budget best.

Last edited:
I have a JP 6 creed and a JP 6.5 grendel and for carry/ranch use, I carry the grendel. It is so much lighter and easier to grab and get on target vs the AR 10 6 creedmoor.
But if your use is range and steel shooting past 500 yards, ballisticly you will be much happier with a 6 or 6.5 creedmoor.
As mentioned above, carbon wrapped barrels will save some weight. I'm giving a lot of thought to a Proof for my 6 creedmoor.

Just built a rifle using F1 BDR 103G receiver and 16 inch Faxon 6.5 Creedmoor barrel. Used MI hand guard. With buffer weights still in it's right under 7lbs. Could get lighter with 2A Xanthos receiver and lighter scope than mine, as well as using light BCG and titanium pins for everything. With optic (Burris XTR II 2-10), small laser for night hunting pigs, bipod, sling, and suppressor I'm at 11.5lbs. This is only 0.5lb heavier than my previous night hunting setup for a 300blk pistol, and much better than my 18lb bolt gun. Considered a 6.5 grendel build for lighter weight but absolutely loving the exterior ballistics and performance on game of the Creedmoor. Overall heavier than I wanted but balances well and suitable for carrying on long walks.

And carbon fiber wrapped barrel will not save weight compared to the Faxon unless going over 20". Christensen arms the only one that I found that will cut to 16", but still heavier than the current Faxon offering.

And carbon fiber wrapped barrel will not save weight compared to the Faxon unless going over 20". Christensen arms the only one that I found that will cut to 16", but still heavier than the current Faxon offering.

Yes you are correct but to be fair the Christensen is a 0.936 at the gas block bull barrel that becomes even thicker in profile inwards from the gas block and would offer much more rigidity especially with a suppressor attached. VS the Faxon which is 0.750 at the gas block and the profile steps down quite a bit before and after it's truely a pencil barrel. They are both within a few oz of each other it's a pencil barrel vs a bull barrel for the same weight. However I'm yet not sold on the idea of a mid length gas system or less than rifle length in 6.5CM especially if going suppressed.

Last edited:
Very valid point. My priority in my build was on weight with a goal of 1 MOA accuracy or better out to 600 yds. Not sure what the intended purpose of the OPs rifle was gonna be, but went through same considerations in my build and thought would share. I'm not shooting long strings in a PRS match and didn't think the larger profiled barrel was merited, nor the additional cost. I've been satisfied with mid length gas so far. Would never do pistol length again unless was a piston based on over 2k+ rounds through a 300blk pistol in the past.

anyone have an idea how much heavier the large frame is? I am debating going creed for capability but a Grendel will be enough for me

I have a different opinion than the other responses here, based on my own experience. There doesn't have to be any significant difference in weight in either caliber, unless you're comparing true ultralight builds in both. You can build either one in an 8 lb rifle without too much trouble, if you want, although you'll have to be more weight conscious in your parts selection for the Creed. For example, my 18" 308 is just under 8 lb unscoped but including an empty mag, and that's with a long handguard and pretty standard Magpul furniture; it wouldn't be hard to take off another pound or more if I wanted. Changing the barrel to a 6.5 wouldn't have to make any significant difference.

The real difference to consider is the size - even if you build both calibers in identical weight rifles, the large frame will still be physically larger. That seems obvious, but the difference is more noticeable in the hand than the numbers suggest. Whether it matters or not depends on your application and personal preference.

I have owned 2 different .260 Rem large frame guns, still have my GAP LR-260 build.

I have at least 6 different 6.5 Grendels now, including the LaRue Stealth 2.0, which is just a great, smooth-running rifle.

I originally got into 6.5 Grendel more out of curiosity than anything, to see if a lightweight AR15 could do what I wanted for mid-long range, while my go-to was .260 Remington-a known quantity for me.

What ended up happening is that I shot Grendel more and more, and .260 less and less. .260 beats it performance-wise, no question about it, but not as much as I thought initially.

For me, the more important consideration besides a lightweight rifle is what happens when I break the shot.

What I really enjoy with 6.5 Grendel is how pleasant it is to shoot, where my sight picture experiences very little disturbance.

There is something to be said for the lower working pressure, reduced muzzle blast, combined with a lightweight gun and high BC projectiles.

My Lilja 318 build with NF UniMount and Vortex Viper PST 2.5-10x32 weighs 7lbs 12oz.

The LaRue Stealth 2.0 weighs 9lbs 6oz with LT SPR 1.5 and Burris 1.5-6x42

9lbs 12oz with scope and 17rd Elander mag

10lbs 14oz with Burris 1.5-6x42, 17rd mag, and Harris 9" with QD mount and bipod lever added

My .260 Rem weighs 14lbs with glass.

They're all supersonic to 1000yds for me.

If you are only shooting paper, the g will be fine. Once you get into steel, you will want the extra thump from the CM.

My 6.5 Creedmoor is a pig with a heavy 22" bull barrel. It' comes in at 16.5lbs. But it's a competition rifle, so weight is a non-factor to me. Heavy is good.

My Grendel is lighter, but I never built it to be light. It's right at 12lbs.

They both have XTR II 4-20 H591's on them, which are a 32oz scope.

Both are a pleasure to shoot.

My take is that it comes down to this, if mostly shooting medium range but some long range, and wanting lowest recoil along with lightweight, the 6.5G.

Bench or prone, going from the vehicle to close proximity, and shooting mostly long range then go for 6.5CM. You can build or buy a light 6.5Creed so that evens things some.

6.5G in very pleasant to shoot, not much more recoil than 223. Looking forward to 224V which should be a killer little round for the AR platform.