• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report 6.5mm 121 gr. Lehigh match solid

InkedIan

Banhammer
Banned !
Minuteman
Sep 6, 2007
Va
So I bought some of these out of curiosity. I just guessimated around my 130gr Hybrid load and started with touching the lands. Warning* Don't assume that these loads are safe for your rifle.
Pressure test:
20181021_164001.jpg

20181021_163808.jpg
20181021_163200.jpg

45grs at around 3100fps showed a lot of promise but I didn't get any pressure signs from any of the loads. So I came back out the next day with just 5 shots of 46.5grs and got this result:
20181022_141908.jpg

20181022_140535.jpg

I was pretty damn happy with that but wondered if it was a fluke. So I loaded up 3 more rounds of the same and came out the next day and shot this:
15404282543371446261781.jpg
20181023_180936.jpg

Needless to say they seem to be very accurate. Especially when you notice that during the pressure test that the POI of 44.5-46grs would make around 1" group. I'm impressed so far.

Last edited:
Reactions: DIBBS
Hm...not a bad price either. I may have to see if I can work up a load for my gas gun with these. Thanks for the info; I hadn't heard of them.

Reactions: InkedIan
Lehigh website lists the G1 BC as .538

That's .072 less than the G1 of Hornady 140g ELD-M (according to their published BC's)

Figured it would be more. More in line with the Warner (.637 G1)

What is your COAL touching the lands?
when I load some more up I'll let you know. My 6.5 creedmoor is a .199 freebore with over 1000 rounds on it so I'm sure the lands have moved forward some. I can tell you it just barely fits in an AW magazine.

Lehigh website lists the G1 BC as .538

That's .072 less than the G1 of Hornady 140g ELD-M (according to their published BC's)

Figured it would be more. More in line with the Warner (.637 G1)

I don't think these were meant to compete with 140-150gr class of bullet. More so the the 120-130gr class plus it seems you can push these much faster without pressure. Basically competing with the 6 creed and 105gr bullets ballistically but more than likely better barrel life. Also don't think these were meant to compete with the Warner bullets since they are $60+ for 50 and the lehighs are $36 for 100. Not saying they are something mind blowing but they seem impressively accurate and judging by their consistency they probably have great vertical dispersion at longer ranges. I'll know for sure soon.

Reactions: leftyk82
Nice...i havent messed with the 121s but i have shot the controlled chaos solids in 4 or 5 different calibers/rifles and the accuracy in every one of them has been spot on with your results, very easy to load for, great accuracy

Reactions: Rockhurr
Nice...i havent messed with the 121s but i have shot the controlled chaos solids in 4 or 5 different calibers/rifles and the accuracy in every one of them has been spot on with your results, very easy to load for, great accuracy
I really like the fact that I didn't even have to do a full load development.... I usually have to search for a load that shoots that good.

Reactions: morganlamprecht
Those ballistic numbers ought to put them running with the 140 grain class, with flatter trajectory and less recoil.

Running them at 3100fps compared to my 2700fps 140 grain RDF load. These 121s smoke the 140s in trajectory and give up very little to drift. I’m going to pursue them further.

I’m wondering about the minimum velocity they recommend of 1500 fps. I wonder if they have trouble going thru transonic. Either way I’m good for 1000 yards where I’m at.

I’m wondering about the minimum velocity they recommend of 1500 fps. I wonder if they have trouble going thru transonic. Either way I’m good for 1000 yards where I’m at.

I think what they are saying is that they didn't design it for subsonics (which they are known for). Also because of their length they may not stabilize in a 8 twist with a muzzle velocity below 1500 fps. Like how 208 amaxs shoot great in 9 and 10 twist barrels but won't stabilize with those twists at subsonic muzzle velocities.

Reactions: Chesapeake
I ordered some tonight. I messaged Lehigh about load data, they were quick to respond. I like that. I’m going to try 4451 first.

So bought some of the 121s loaded 3 with 42.5 H4350.
They do show promise, although spotting hits at distance may be tough.

121 Solid.jpg

Reactions: Gohring65
Waiting on mine. I ordered 200 of them from midway, they were 50 miles from my house and decided to go 200 miles north for a short ride.

Running them at 3100fps compared to my 2700fps 140 grain RDF load. These 121s smoke the 140s in trajectory and give up very little to drift. I’m going to pursue them further.
Just another option;

Lapua 123 Scenars

I am running them out of a 24 inch barrel and can get just shy of 3100 in a node.

As someone who shot a ton of solids, There can be some downsides going back and forth etc. Spotting even with a 338 LM can suck.

This is absolutely not a bullet weight I would want to use in a match.

The 123s are:
-Way easier to spot on steel than an equivalent size solid. They leave a nice traditional watermark as well as a good frag signatures, unlike solids.
-They mag load easy
- BC’s a little bit higher with a G1 547.

Not trying to hijack just toss another option out there. The OP shot a damn good group provided very helpful information.

Just another option;

Lapua 123 Scenars

I am running them out of a 24 inch barrel and can get just shy of 3100 in a node.

As someone who shot a ton of solids, There can be some downsides going back and forth etc. Spotting even with a 338 LM can suck.

This is absolutely not a bullet weight I would want to use in a match.

The 123s are:
-Way easier to spot on steel than an equivalent size solid. They leave a nice traditional watermark as well as a good frag signatures, unlike solids.
-They mag load easy
- BC’s a little bit higher with a G1 547.

Not trying to hijack just toss another option out there. The OP shot a damn good group provided very helpful information.
I saw those Lapuas when I was researching the 121s. I ran the numbers and was equally impressed. I don’t shoot matches, I mainly shoot by myself or once in a while with a buddy. I have my own steel and keep it painted white, touching it up frequently. I’m not to worried about spotting impacts, I spot my own hits pretty well even with my 338. But I do get what you’re saying, and I’m interested in seeing what range these 121s start being hard to see the impacts.

I saw those Lapuas when I was researching the 121s. I ran the numbers and was equally impressed. I don’t shoot matches, I mainly shoot by myself or once in a while with a buddy. I have my own steel and keep it painted white, touching it up frequently. I’m not to worried about spotting impacts, I spot my own hits pretty well even with my 338. But I do get what you’re saying, and I’m interested in seeing what range these 121s start being hard to see the impacts.
When I get a chance I’ll dig up some video shows my 338 getting a place with Warner solids and 285 amax.

The frag or sprawl and the watermark reduction pretty drastic.

I’m leaving my club right now and today a 25 mile an hour winds kept us from seeing the impacts on an Silhouette at only 890 with 308 solids. Here is a video from only 700 yards.. We could "hear" the hit, granted the plate is very heavy so the center hit move it very very little, but we could NOT see the frag or watermark. But with a normal round, you would’ve seen the Frag and watermark fairly easy.

Last edited:
Here’s a shot at 2200 yards using 270 grain solid. Velocity is higher than the standard rounds. Notice how small the watermark is and the frag almost non existent.

Below is the standard solid at 200 yards further with a lower muzzle velocity and lower BC

I had a ton more videos somewhere but I can’t find.. while driving

Here’s a shot at 2200 yards using 270 grain solid. Velocity is higher than the standard rounds. Notice how small the watermark is and the frag almost non existent.

Below is the standard solid at 200 yards further with a lower muzzle velocity and lower BC

I had a ton more videos somewhere but I can’t find.. while driving

Very cool
Thanks for sharing

My workaholic Bergara has suddenly lost some speed so I dont want to mess with it as the throat is worn, probably due to me not letting the barrel cool.

Im working on a build using a Nucleus action when that is complete I will definitely see what they will do.

My workaholic Bergara has suddenly lost some speed so I dont want to mess with it as the throat is worn, probably due to me not letting the barrel cool.

Im working on a build using a Nucleus action when that is complete I will definitely see what they will do.
The weather here is shit!
I’m trying to get out and test them.
I’m going to try 4451 first.

So I bought some of these out of curiosity. I just guessimated around my 130gr Hybrid load and started with touching the lands. Warning* Don't assume that these loads are safe for your rifle.
Pressure test:
View attachment 6960624
View attachment 6960622View attachment 6960623

45grs at around 3100fps showed a lot of promise but I didn't get any pressure signs from any of the loads. So I came back out the next day with just 5 shots of 46.5grs and got this result:
View attachment 6960625
View attachment 6960626

I was pretty damn happy with that but wondered if it was a fluke. So I loaded up 3 more rounds of the same and came out the next day and shot this:
View attachment 6960632View attachment 6960628

Needless to say they seem to be very accurate. Especially when you notice that during the pressure test that the POI of 44.5-46grs would make around 1" group. I'm impressed so far.

I like what I see here buddy! Great post. I'm not so much a target shooter rather a long range hunter and unfortunately I live in CA. There's a nonlead law that's gonna take effect this year and I don't have much selection on bullets. I thought about Lehigh 122 control chaos but I haven't found much load data for a 6.5 CM...so glad I found this one. I know youre not using the same bullet but Im gonna work up some load similarly....

Questions:
1. What's your barrel length?
2. What brass and primer r u using?

I like what I see here buddy! Great post. I'm not so much a target shooter rather a long range hunter and unfortunately I live in CA. There's a nonlead law that's gonna take effect this year and I don't have much selection on bullets. I thought about Lehigh 122 control chaos but I haven't found much load data for a 6.5 CM...so glad I found this one. I know youre not using the same bullet but Im gonna work up some load similarly....

Questions:
1. What's your barrel length?
2. What brass and primer r u using?

I tried the 122 in my creedmoor and didn't quite care for them. Just curious, but have you considered the Barnes lrx? I run them at 2997fps in my 22" and they were damn simple to work with.

I tried the 122 in my creedmoor and didn't quite care for them. Just curious, but have you considered the Barnes lrx? I run them at 2997fps in my 22" and they were damn simple to work with.

OH... Well I had just ordered 200 of them 122 gr control chaos so I'm stuck with them for now. Did I miss your load data for the 121 somewhere in the prior posts?

Lehigh should have data on their site. Both my buddy and I tried them and couldn't get them to shoot while being mag fed.

Lehigh should have data on their site. Both my buddy and I tried them and couldn't get them to shoot while being mag fed.

Yeah... Lehigh got 2850 fps using H4350 with their 121 with 22" barrel... So not sure how you got 3000+ fps with a 22". Must be different primer and powder unless you got really long barrel. But it's cool if you chose not to share.

Mind sharing your load data if any of these were with a 6.5 cm.? I just ordered 200 of the 122 control chaos but need some good data to start out. Appreciate if you would share. Thanks.

Mind sharing your load data if any of these were with a 6.5 cm.? I just ordered 200 of the 122 control chaos but need some good data to start out. Appreciate if you would share. Thanks.
What is the rifle you are feeding these to?

Here's a good one I found. Your mileage may vary...
Tikka T3 X lite 6.5 Creedmoor
Hornady brass
CCI BR2
43.5 gr Of H4350
122gr Lehigh controlled chaos (coal 2.800)
Averaging 2803 fps
Grouping .75 - .5 moa easily

I'm in the same boat here in California and have been trying to dial in a good load for the upcoming season. I am going to go with this one for my wife's tikka. Can't hardly wait to see how they perform on game.

You had a COAL of 2.800". How much jump is this? If I measured mine correctly, which I believe I have, my COAL would be 2.362" if seated to touch the lands. This is an insane 0.063" jump. Are you getting the same measurement? This is crazy.

My chamber coal max, touching the lands is 3.016 with the 122 gr Lehigh controlled chaos. I loaded my rounds to a 2.800 as per the load data on Lehigh's website. So I have a .216 "jump". Does that make sense?

I could load closer to the lands, but I just decided to start with thier given load data.

I'm sorry...I thought COAL is the overall base-to-tip measurement and OAL is the base-to-ogive measurement

My chamber coal max, touching the lands is 3.016 with the 122 gr Lehigh controlled chaos. I loaded my rounds to a 2.800 as per the load data on Lehigh's website. So I have a .216 "jump". Does that make sense?

I could load closer to the lands, but I just decided to start with thier given load data.

So if you seat your bullet to mag length you would have a jump of 0.066" instead. Have you tried seating closer to mag length to see if there's any improvements?

If my max chamber length is 3.016 and my max mag length is 2.970, I would have a .046 jump. That is, if I loaded to max mag length.

If my max chamber length is 3.016 and my max mag length is 2.970, I would have a .046 jump. That is, if I loaded to max mag length.

Interesting because I just measured all 4 of my CTR and TAC A1 mags (same type) and they all measure 2.950". Maybe that's because youre shooting a lite model. They use different mags I think.

Yup, I have a CTR and it's a little tighter than the X-lite. It measures 2.950, same as yours.

Thanks for posting your data. I'm very happy with the 147 eldm for the 6.5cm in my rpr, but this looks like an awesome option for the 6.5 grendel.

Reactions: jzerfoss
I'd be sticking with the 147 ELD-M if it weren't for California strong arming us with the state wide lead ban for hunting.

Reactions: Soulezoo