• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6.5mm 140 gr. Barnes Match Burner

JFComfort

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
Mar 19, 2009
IMG_3842_zpsd3129372.jpg

The Barnes 6.5mm 140 grain Match Burner OTM really came together today after Roy and I completed our jump tests.

I should start the story about the Barnes Match Burner by explaining our current team load uses a 139 grain Lapua Scenar. The load shoots great out of all of the team rifles. We have shot the load in barrels as short as 16.5” and, as long as 26” and it shoots excellent in both and everything in between. We wanted to see if we could duplicate the success we’ve had with the Scenar and do it with a more affordable, yet high quality bullet.

I started by measuring from the ogive the team Lapua load. I then seated the Barnes Match Burner to the same ogive measurement and did a powder charge work up from 41.6 (team load charge) to 42.4 grains in 0.2 grain increments. The stand out was 42.2 grans with a node between 42.0 and 42.2 grains. I then loaded 42.1 and 42.2. My rifle liked 42.1 grains and did okay with 42.2. I then handed out some of the rounds to my team mates and had them shoot groups to see how the load would do in other rifles. The load did solid out of Roy, Jorge and Dale’s rifle’s but it wasn’t a one hole load yet.

140BarnesMB65CM_zps149f9dc1.jpg

Roy and I were on the same page and today tested different COAL’s with 42.1 grains of H4350 and the 140 grain Barnes Match Burner. I had a set of rounds with 0.015” of jump and Roy had a set with 0.020” of jump. When I shot the rounds through Dave’s chronograph I was very happy with the SD and accuracy. The velocity wasn’t too shabby either! When Roy shot his rounds he produced a very similar group. We could tell both groups we had shot were under 0.5 MOA.

After today’s testing we now have a solid load for the Barnes bullet. 42.1 grains of H4350 puts you right in the middle of the powder node and 0.015”-0.020” of jump from the lands eliminates the stringing Jorge and Dale were seeing. Finding the proper jump and loading the middle of the powder node should give us a round that will shoot very well out of our club members rifles chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor.

It was a lot of fun seeing things come together for us with the load. Working together and having more than one shooter testing made load development faster. Also using quality chronograph equipment gave us more indicators about the accuracy of the load. The low SD number put a smile on my face! I loaded up more of “The Barnes Load” and will shoot them tomorrow. I will also have my Dad run them through his rifle just to make sure the load is going to do what we want.

This is a good example of how the load was shooting before the jump test. It wasn't bad but not great, it would shoot better from some rifles than others and some preferred 42.1 while others like Dale's preferred 42.2.

This is a 5 round group by Roy with 42.1 and 0.020" of jump.

This is the group I shot through Dave's chronograph, 42.1 and 0.015" of jump.
JFCBranes018Jump_zpsbf2488a3.jpg

Chronograph information.

5 rounds, 686 yards, 140 Barnes Match Bruner/42.1 grs
140barnes421686y_zpsa6a16d5c.jpg

Very nice!

I see Barnes lists the G1 as .586; does your testing thus far validate that number?

I also note there is a 7mm 171gr Match Burner; that looks to be a pretty decent option for 7-08 shooters since Hornady put 162 production on ice for a while and 7mm 175 SMKs are tough to find.

I still have some testing to do with them. I'm curious how their BC claim will hold up, I got a few loaded up that I plan on shooting at different ranges today. I will post back up when Im finished. I'm not positive on my velocity either, the chronograph gave me an average of 2789 fps but the Magneto Speed gives me an average of 2821 fps. I figure I will see what Shooter gives me by entering dope, then know which one was closer.

Very nice!

I see Barnes lists the G1 as .586; does your testing thus far validate that number?

I also note there is a 7mm 171gr Match Burner; that looks to be a pretty decent option for 7-08 shooters since Hornady put 162 production on ice for a while and 7mm 175 SMKs are tough to find.

Not incredible but I will take it! 2.245" from the ogive, not 2.29"

I still need to shoot different ranges, hope to get that done tomorrow AM.

Last edited:
This load was a .020 jump in my rifle. 2.86 COAL and 2.26 Ogive.

Barnestest2.jpg

The other group that Joe posted of mine was a .040 jump. So there is some room to jump them.

I will shoot a 400 yd paper target tomorrow when I am out.

Dale shot this 500 yard groups yesterday at spot #1. The round outside the group was a flier. I used range pick up brass for the load development and some of them need to be small based re-sized. We had to knock the bolt handle to open the action after he fired that one. His last round cycled fine and went right in there so it is a flier. Here is how it brakes down.

dale140BMB1_zpsb05965e8.jpg

dale140BMB_zps7bafb8b1.jpg

This was my 5 round, 500 yard group with the Barnes.
140barnes500yjoe_zps289f9903.jpg

Very nice!

I just wanted to update you on the little bit of testing I have done. Looks like the G1 BC # is good (0.586). I punched info. into Shooter and got a velocity of 2,821 fps, that is the same velocity # Roy was getting from his rifle using a Magnitospeed. I then put it all the bullet info, conditions and zero information into the program. Both Shooter and my Kestrel Horus ATrag were spot on out to a range of 686 yards. When I get more bullets I will do tests at farther ranges, but right now it looks like the Barnes just edges out the Scenar in performance and accuracy. They are very, very close though and that is a good thing. I have years worth of information with the 139 Scenar team load. With the Barnes performing very similar I can still use that information.

Last edited:
I went out today and zeroed to the Barnes load. I will be using it in the match next weekend. I am excited to be able to use these bullets. I had some issues with the polymer tips on the Amax if my gun jammed when feeding.

My dope looks to be dead on with the Amax so the Barnes should be a direct drop in replacement.

I shot this target at 410 yds in 10 MPH winds that were constantly shifting inside the bay.

I should have taken a little more time as I think the two high shots were me.

The three holes together measure .2 MOA and stretch out to .582 MOA with the two flyers.

400yardtgtcalculated.jpg

I believe the 6.5mm Barnes 140 Match Burners are good to go as long as they are consistent from lot to lot. The accuracy is impressive and the price point is refreshing.

I shot the local monthly practical precision rifle competition with the Match Bruners and placed 2nd. I was very happy with how they shot. The dope is very close to the team 139 load and that really helped the transition.

I need to take the Match Burners out to 1k yards and beyond soon.

Thanks for the info JC, and good job on the match. I hope to make it up again soon.
I just got some Hornady 140 BTHP'S, but may be getting some if the Barnes at that kind if performance and price. Hopefully the availability is good.