• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6.5mm 140g berger hybrid seating depth question.

Warbone

Private
Minuteman
Oct 2, 2011
just pickup up some 140g berger hybrids. I normaly use the 140g amax's but thought i would try some of these.
When i set up for reloading and was figuring out max seating depth i came up with 2.300 oal, and a COAL of 2.975.
This to me seams really long for the hybrids.

The amax's i have been shooting have a max COAL of 2.900.
And the Berger 140g vld's hunting came out at max 2.265 oal and 2.910 coal.

Anyone found similar results with the 140g berger hybrids?

Here is what my records show.

Berger 140gr. VLD (target) 2.983"
Berger 140gr. Hyb. 3.017"
Berger 140gr. BT LR 3.075"

These numbers illustrate the difference in max. OAL to the lands for my 260 AI.

So, it looks like the difference you're seeing matches up pretty close to what I'm seeing. The 140gr. Hyb. does load a little longer than the VLD.

B

I jump them 0.040" in my 6.5x55.

I've had relatively consistent results closer to the lands as well though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No, I just got lucky they fit in my mag, but since I'm at the end I probably won't be getting any more

just pickup up some 140g berger hybrids. I normaly use the 140g amax's but thought i would try some of these.
When i set up for reloading and was figuring out max seating depth i came up with 2.300 oal, and a COAL of 2.975.
This to me seams really long for the hybrids.

The amax's i have been shooting have a max COAL of 2.900.
And the Berger 140g vld's hunting came out at max 2.265 oal and 2.910 coal.

Anyone found similar results with the 140g berger hybrids?

Litz's book gives 0.689" as the nose length on the Amax

The Berger reloading manual gives a nose length of 0.816" for the hybrid and 0.721" for the vld.

The bullets are not contacting the rifling at exactly the ogive to bearing surface transition because the rifling diameter is smaller than the bearing surface diameter, but in general I'd expect the hybrids to be ~0.1" longer than the Amax and the vld to be longer than the Amax, but not nearly as long as the hybrid.

found 2 OAL's my gun likes with the 140g berger hybrids.
2.900 .075 off lands (this shot a 5 shot .450 group)
2.850 .125 off lands (this shot a 5 shoot .320 group) Amazed at this one with such a long jump.
Everything else was .75 to 1.25.

I can't remember which video it was but I saw Litz recommend that you start .015 off the lands with hybrid bullets, I have tried that with 7mms and 6.5s and it hase worked great for me

"Zehahahahaha" Marshall D. Teach

I have a lot of respect for the hybrids. The jump well like a SMK/Scenar but still get the high BC with the secant/tangent ogive. Beanland Rifles did my last 260 build, and I have a very short freebore, and I shoot my 140hybrids at 2.900" and my 139's @ 2.800, and that's a .18" jump but it shoots bugholes with both. It's crazy but my 140 hybrids go 2875fps due to the room I can seat em out further using H4831sc, and my 139's move at 2800

Last edited:
I'm jumping mine 0.040" that gives me a COAL of ~2.886", just barely fitting in my AICS mags. This is in a 6.5 Creed. I cycled a mag full at this length w/o primers/powder really fast in my gun and they all fed fine.

I haven't experimented with other jump lengths yet.

Here is what my records show.

Berger 140gr. VLD (target) 2.983"
Berger 140gr. Hyb. 3.017"
Berger 140gr. BT LR 3.075"

These numbers illustrate the difference in max. OAL to the lands for my 260 AI.

So, it looks like the difference you're seeing matches up pretty close to what I'm seeing. The 140gr. Hyb. does load a little longer than the VLD.

B
I think this is just the data I was looking for.

I've been shooting Berger 140 BTLRs at 2.930", jumping about 0.040" if I recall correctly, and I've been thinking of switching to Hybrids. I had no idea what COAL to expect with the Hybrids, and I've been wondering about mag length, etc. But it sounds like I should expect a shorter COAL with the Hybrids?