6.5mm Creedmoor freebore:

LG65CM

Private
Belligerents
Sep 29, 2017
I'm having a rifle built chambered in 6.5CM. I've researched and it seems the SAAMI freebore spec is .199". Is there any advantage to having the freebore shortened in length? If so , how much? I'm inclined to leave the spec alone as I think it would enable me to shoot a wider variety of bullets.

Thought I would ask just in case I am missing some obvious advantage to changing the standard freebore. TIA, lg

Reactions: Robert Gradous

LG65CM

Private
Belligerents
Sep 29, 2017
Thanx SS. I think you are right. Sometimes I can 'get to thinking' and that can be dangerous. I've got 2 other 6.5s w/saami spec chambers and nice accurate loads worked up for those. So, keeping the chamber to the same spec as these should help with load development. lg

LG65CM

Private
Belligerents
Sep 29, 2017
@Abn- shooting Berger target hybrids was the bullet I had in mind for this rifle and why I got to thinking about a shorter FB/throat. But, after asking here and thinking things thru I decided I might want to shoot other bullets later down the road. And the 6.5s I have now with the SAAMI fb of .199" shoot those bullets real nice (with my CBTOs) as well as the Berger. So, decided to not built a rifle that was somewhat bullet specific. Appreciate the thoughs you all took to reply.

I still do plan on only shooting the hybrids with lapua brass, at least initially in the rifle's early days. See what happens after that. :)
(at least I will have my options open)