• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6.5mm Creedmoor vs 6.5mmx47 vs .260 Rem

408s10

Private
Minuteman
May 15, 2014
I am planning on shooting 1000 yard competitions in the future so this will be my first long range rifle. I reload all my own rounds so that will not be issue. I can't decide to go with the 6.5mm Creed or the 6.5x47mm Lapua or .260 Rem. Please make this decision easier. I am leaning toward the Lapua because of the brass choices. Should they perform the same ? Thanks guys !! I have read many forums on this discussion. Nothing has seemed to stick out.

Nothing sticks out because they are a wash ballistically. Pick which name sounds coolest to you and go with it. Me personally, I'd pick the 6.5x47 first and the .260 second mainly for the Lapua brass. I would not take a 6.5CM if you gave it to me, because of the brass. The brass sucks. Yes, someone will come on here and say they have some with 15 firings on it and the pockets are still tight. Yeah....ok.

They are virtually identical. They all three have their pros and cons. Pick one and don't look back. All three are fine for what you want.

6.5x47 is a great round but really hard on barrels. It has to run at much higher pressure because of the small case to get the same speed. That being said I think the Creedmoor is a stupid name :D

Creedmoor here. Personal preference, but I like the factory ammo and data given. My next match rifle will be a creedmoor. 6.5x47 round looks damn sexy though and shoots like mofo. That was my last match rifle and I just got crapped out HAVING to reload.

6.5 x 47 Laupa has a case capacity of about 47 gr. of water
6.5 Creedmore ( 6.5 x 49) has a case capacity of about 53 gr. of water.
.260 Remington (6.5 x 52) has a case capacity of about 53.5 gr. of water
.6.5 x 55 Swede has a case capacity of about 57 gr. of water.
6.5 x 57 Mauser has a case capacity of about 58 gr. of water.
If you load them all to the same P.S.I., say 60,000 PSI, with the proper powders then the available velocity will go up in a relative close ratio with the case capacity.
Given the easy availability of good brass the .260 Remington is an excellent choice for a 1000 yd. cartridge.
The 6.5 x .284 with it's 68 gr. of case capacity is a bit over-sized for this caliber and you will usually get max good working pressure with only about 80% fill on the case capacity.
Just my 2 cent's worth.

Do something different maybe that can use any brand of 308 based brass, and combines the best of all 3 of your hashed out 1000 times choices? Take a look at the 6.5 Super LR. Only thing it doesn't incorporate is the small primer of the 6.5x47 but you don't need it because you don't have to run 70k PSI.

http://www.6mmar.com/site/mobile?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.6mmar.com%2F65_SuperLR.php#3018

Happy with mine, I get the same capacity as my old 260's with the better shoulder and neck of the Lapua 6.5. Downside is buying a reamer and a set of dies.

Happy with mine, I get the same capacity as my old 260's with the better shoulder and neck of the Lapua 6.5. Downside is buying a reamer and a set of dies.

I am considering the Super LR once my 260 barrels are toast, did you see any gain or wain in velocity when you switched from the 260? My accuracy nodes are between 2750 and 2825 depending on which 24" barrel/139-142 grain bullet/powder combo I am using.

Last edited:
For me:
6.5 Creedmoor
6.5x47 Lapua
My opinion is based on owning and loading for all three of them at once.
I have had good luck with the Hornady 6.5 CM brass. I know he is selling something but look at what George Gardner at GAP has to say about the Hornady 6 Creedmoor brass on his site. It is also not "fussy" about what you feed it, at least in my experience.

I am considering the Super LR once my 260 barrels are toast, did you see any gain or wain in velocity when you switched from the 260? My accuracy nodes are between 2750 and 2825 depending on which 24" barrel/139-142 grain bullet/powder combo I am using.

For me it's not an apples to apples comparison to my 260's because:
A) I'm using the 136 ScenarL in the SLR, never tried them in the 260, was shooting 140 VLD's at 2750
B) Went to a gain twist Bartlein (8.75 to 8") with this one which I've never used before

I can't say how much these differences affect the comparo. FWIW, in the SLR I'm using Winchester brand 243 brass and the 136's are loaded to 2.302" B/O (2.900" OAL) and accuracy node centers at 43.0 grains H4350 for 2850 FPS from a 24" barrel. Very happy, ES/SD are super low. Zero stress on the brass, all measurements on the 43.0grain load brass are the same as 41.0 grain load brass. Primers have zero flattening or craters, pockets still tight like a tiger after 4 firings(all I've shot so far).

When this barrel dies I'll be chambering for the SLR again. No reason not to that I can see. If you want to borrow my reamer you're welcome to, just PM me.

Last edited:
I am planning on shooting 1000 yard competitions in the future so this will be my first long range rifle. I reload all my own rounds so that will not be issue. I can't decide to go with the 6.5mm Creed or the 6.5x47mm Lapua or .260 Rem. Please make this decision easier. I am leaning toward the Lapua because of the brass choices. Should they perform the same ? Thanks guys !! I have read many forums on this discussion. Nothing has seemed to stick out.

Are you serious?
6.5mm Shootout: .260 Remington vs. 6.5x47 Lapua vs. 6.5 Creedmoor

The short answer is that they are pretty much the same performance wise. 6.5-47 uses small rifle primers, you can use 308 brass to form 260 cases, and the 6.5 CM has good factory offerings and product support for the non-reloader.

nevermind_nathan_fillion.gif

You asked the same question on Accurate Shooter. I saw there where you decided on the 7mm RM in another post "after a huge amount of deliberation". Of course, you can ask the same questions as many times as you like and wherever you like, but you are all over the place with cartridge/action length choices. The short action cartridges are very similar and the 6.5-06 and 6.5-284 are also close (another question asked on the other forum).

All of the calibers you have asked about, on both forums, are great rounds with each having it's own idiosyncrasies (6.5-06 is one good example) so all you now have to do is pick how much you want to spend and how often you want to pay for a new barrel.

The 7mm RM is another story. I have loaded for it, but don't own a rifle for it. Time to whip out that card...... and use Google

Orginally was going with the 7mm Rem Mag. Started doing the numbers on powder and the inability to find the dam bullets anywhere brought be back to the 6.5mm's. I really like to hear people opinions about different topics. Espically when one is thinking of shelling out 3000 dollars on a custom gun. The reason for the "all over the place" questions is simply to gauge opinions of cartridges. There is only so much you can get from a loading book. You can't beat first hand experience. I have no experience with any of these rounds...that is the reason I have invested my time in these forums to help make my crude decision making process easier...and maybe to make someone else's decision easier. I realize that bouncing from one thing to another might be crazy to you but to me it is just part of the decision making process. If you don't weight your options fully you will regret the decision you made in the first place. So...I leave you with that sir...sorry to cloud your screen with my simple questions about guns on a forum built for the sort. Have a great day.

Last edited:
Not a problem to me, and you were/are not wasting band width. Nevertheless, there are a lot of this same type of question already discussed and the pro's and con's are out there. The three SA cartridges asked about are arguably the three most popular cartridges at this time and any precision rifle related forum has discussed or is discussing this same topic this minute. Hell we are right now.

A big fat FWIW, I have 2 Creedmoor's, and a 6.5×47L, on the way any day now. The only real difference I can see is that I dial about 1/2 moa less at 600 yards than my shooting buddies 6.5×47L needs. Accuracy is close enough that you can starve on the difference. A 260 now, well, I ain't that hard up yet:).

Agreed on your decision about the 7mm RM. ....

Oh, even though I am old enough to be a Sir, I work for a living:).

Have a good one.

Yep. 6.5SLR. All the ballistic advantages of the 260, all the brass advantages of a 30-degree shoulder. Cheaper brass. I'm getting great accuracy with both H4350 and H4831SC. 2900-ish fps. Chrono says one thing, drop in Mils at 1000 says another.

Reactions: Sterlingb06
Nothing sticks out because they are a wash ballistically. Pick which name sounds coolest to you and go with it. Me personally, I'd pick the 6.5x47 first and the .260 second mainly for the Lapua brass. I would not take a 6.5CM if you gave it to me, because of the brass. The brass sucks. Yes, someone will come on here and say they have some with 15 firings on it and the pockets are still tight. Yeah....ok.

i have at least 15 firings on creed brass. trevor is full of shit.;)

It depends on how turnkey you want your system really. The real world advantages one over the other in accuracy, barrel life (which is a consumable anyway) and drop/drift are minimal at best (excluding the 6.5x284).

If you want to shoot factory loaded ammo = Creedmoor
If you want Lapua brass = 260 or 6.5x47 or 6.5x284
If you want Remington brass = 260
If you want to dump money in custom dies and do forming = 6.5SLR
If barrel life is secondary to performance = 6.5x284

And there you have your options. Best of luck.

Last edited:
Anyone that picks a caliber because it "sounds cool" probably chooses/buys wine because it has a pretty label, too.:) Talk about the wrong reasons to pick something! But then, I am glad that there are people around like that because they give the rest of us something to chuckle about.

This question about which 6.5 to pick/build/shoot/buy has been beat to DEATH many, many places...all without a clear winner. Me...I have a 6.5 Creedmoor and am building a 6.5 X 55 Scandinavian (that is what a lot of people call the modern, high pressure version of the 6.5 X 55 Swede....same dimensions but modern metallurgy) to play with so I can form my own opinion and not just read what the keyboard Kommandos have to say. A good way to figure out (if it makes YOU happy) which of those calibers to pick, is to take a look at the various match results where the rifle/caliber/bullet/etc is listed and see what the competitors seem to be having the best luck with. BEAR IN MIND, though, that some of the people shooting in these competitions could win with a Daisy BB gun......not all shooters are equal!!

Food for thought------The 6.5 Creedmoor brass questions/problems/opinions have to be qualified with the pressures they are loaded to. A lot of guys just HAVE TO PUT THE PEDAL to the metal all the time and THAT will shorten brass life for about any caliber.

My opinion is for a person to pick a caliber--- a ballistically "likely" caliber---one suited to the expected mission----(as some oddball may be doable and could turn out to be the best thing since sliced bread, there is really no need to be re-inventing the wheel unless you just HAVE TO) and build or buy a rifle make/model that rows YOUR BOAT and then go out and SHOOT, SHOOT, SHOOT! Practice and trigger time are very important and, while it can't make a complete doofus into a Carlos Hathcock, it can and usually WILL make a "naturally mediocre" shooter better.

Last edited:
6.5x47L = brass life, brass quality and case efficiency. Do the numbers on a ballistic program and you'll find that 50-75 fps slower isn't going to change the wind drift at 1000Y but a click, if that, but if you want to push the case it can handle pressure like no other. BTW, having a barrel throated out as far as is reasonable will result in greater powder capacity with respect to pressure.

If you want all out performance in a 6.5 then 6.5 SAUM is "THE" one.

Not to stray from the 3 calibers on the subject. What's up with the 6mm creedmore? What options is there for bullet selection? I can't differ between the 260, 6.5 creed and want more info on this 6mm creed. Thanks

For me:
6.5 Creedmoor
6.5x47 Lapua
My opinion is based on owning and loading for all three of them at once.
I have had good luck with the Hornady 6.5 CM brass. I know he is selling something but look at what George Gardner at GAP has to say about the Hornady 6 Creedmoor brass on his site. It is also not "fussy" about what you feed it, at least in my experience.

Where can I find George's article on the 6mm creedmore?

How's that against the wind at long range?
Run the numbers in JBM.
With a 100 yd zero your get 6.9 mils elevation and 1.8 mils windage with a 10 MPH crosswind. The real numbers, with exact inputs, are normally a little lower.
That is with the 105 Hybrid. I was planning on using the 115 DTAC is my 7.5 twist but in reality the 105 Hybrid seems to be much better than the DTAC.

Run the numbers in JBM.
With a 100 yd zero your get 6.9 mils elevation and 1.8 mils windage with a 10 MPH crosswind. The real numbers, with exact inputs, are normally a little lower.
That is with the 105 Hybrid. I was planning on using the 115 DTAC is my 7.5 twist but in reality the 105 Hybrid seems to be much better than the DTAC.

Sry I don't know any of the ballistic information to input in ballistic AE or other software. Thanks for the info. I hope these newer calibers get more popular so components are easier to get

No problem on the info. It all boils down to the 6CM is a great round. Components are everywhere except for brass. That can be found pretty easily at GA Precision; dies too.
What the next logical step should be is loaded ammo from a big name like Hornady. But in the meantime you can buy loaded ammo from Copper Creek.

No problem on the info. It all boils down to the 6CM is a great round. Components are everywhere except for brass. That can be found pretty easily at GA Precision; dies too.
What the next logical step should be is loaded ammo from a big name like Hornady. But in the meantime you can buy loaded ammo from Copper Creek.

I have IOUs for br2 to friends just so I can shoot my .308 out of my gap

A 50bmg is very tempting with all the available components

6.5x55 is best suited to a long action. IMHO, you won't get the performance if you try it in a SA.
It is a good cartridge choice for LA but not as good as 6.5x284.

Don't agree with the position that it is not good as 6.5x284. I'm finding it more consistent and better barrel life. I'm pushing a 140 Berger VLD at just a hair under 3000 fps and while I have room to push it even faster there is no need.

I went with the 6.5cm since I don't reload at this point, although I am currently buying all the components. My smith said if I reloaded go with the 260 based on the better brass for the 260.

Don't agree with the position that it is not good as 6.5x284. I'm finding it more consistent and better barrel life. I'm pushing a 140 Berger VLD at just a hair under 3000 fps and while I have room to push it even faster there is no need.

And you don't have to agree. But you did inject a round into the topic that is for LA and not the SA rounds that the OP was looking at.
The 6.5x55 Swede cannot be ignored. After all, I consider it the 30-06 of Europe (not discounting all those other "something.something by something rounds).

I went with the 6.5x47 lapua douglas 1 in 8.5 twist 28" ag barrel in a remington s/a it shoots great with 130 berger vld so far out to 1165 yds . This was just my own preference I load my own ammo and anneal the brass after 5 fireings. I guess you will have to pick a cal and run with it good luck with your decision.

Since we're straying a bit from the exact topic, but staying in the spirit of it, what're the pros and cons between 6mm Creedmoor and .243Win/AI?

Without me reading any other posts advising you, let me just say, " go with the 6.5 Lapua!" their is better brass like you said. Some may argue that Lapua makes 260Rem. brass as well, but ask them is the 260 as easy to load for. Ask them and see what they say. You want be giving up but 50fps max if any in velocity, and that will only be with certain loads. The 6.5 Creed ,"bless his heart" just needs some damn good brass period. The 6.5 Creed would be great if it wasn't for the cheap Hornady brass. I spoke to Creedmore or how ever its spelled, the other day flirting around with this California chick. She said 18 of them all relocated over here in Anniston. I think it had something to do with the Camp Perry South that's being built here in Alabama, not just the California Nazi politics. Anyway my ADD just got me there, sorry. Back to the point, the Creed has a long neck and 30 degree shoulder and a lot of potential. Just fix the damn brass. I love the 6.5 Super lr/s, she is my baby. Perfect mid-size 6.5 cartridge. Only problem with it though is everyone hoarding Win. and Rem 243 brass I need for resizing-up. Stop hoarding folks, please. I will give you 22lr for free, just throw some non hoarding love my way. Thanks. Love You Guys

He will get over 2,000 rounds easy down that pole. Hell, people shooting 6mm's are in comp. and winning.
6.5x47 is a great round but really hard on barrels. It has to run at much higher pressure because of the small case to get the same speed. That being said I think the Creedmoor is a stupid name :D

The hell with that small primer buddy, I like my butts big! That 6.5 Super LR/S girl is hot! Anyway, people stop buying all the Rem and Win. brass so we can use it to size up to the lady! We do not want to turn her little pretty neck. Thanks, Management
Do something different maybe that can use any brand of 308 based brass, and combines the best of all 3 of your hashed out 1000 times choices? Take a look at the 6.5 Super LR. Only thing it doesn't incorporate is the small primer of the 6.5x47 but you don't need it because you don't have to run 70k PSI.

http://www.6mmar.com/site/mobile?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.6mmar.com%2F65_SuperLR.php#3018

Try finding my babies cheap Win. and Rem. brass!!! All these hoarders have bought them up man!! 6.5 Super LR/S is my girl, don't touch her!