• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6.5PRC and IMR 4831

mildot326

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 11, 2004
So I'm just a "novice" reloader, and I have some good quantiles of 6.5 components on hand, however I wanted to get some "starting" points from folks that are using the IMR 4831, I will also be reloading some 300 WIN Mag later. I have some of the Hornady 147 ELD bullets and I will be chambering up my 6.5PRC build later next week.
Here are some pics of the layout and the barrel info. Thanks in advance troops. Cheers

dO2Qofl.jpg

QJcaBrY.jpg

BXI1Ixd.jpg

Hodgdon has data on their website and Hornady has it on their app for $1. It works ok, nothing stellar but still perfectly acceptable for hunting or practice at the range. If it's what you have I'd work up a few loads with it. I've had luck with 147s and use it to sight it after I've swapped my barrel, but velocity isn't anything to write home about. IMR4831 is temperature sensitive. Use caution if you work up your load on a cool day and then shoot on a hot one. My 6.5 creedmoor loads were definitely running hot when it got into the 90s.

So I'm just a "novice" reloader, and I have some good quantiles of 6.5 components on hand, however I wanted to get some "starting" points from folks that are using the IMR 4831, I will also be reloading some 300 WIN Mag later. I have some of the Hornady 147 ELD bullets and I will be chambering up my 6.5PRC build later next week.
Here are some pics of the layout and the barrel info. Thanks in advance troops. Cheers

dO2Qofl.jpg

QJcaBrY.jpg

BXI1Ixd.jpg
OK, here some numbers to help you with your 147 ELS for your 6.5 PRC using IMR-4831(this assumes a case volume of a fired case at 68.6 gr H2O that my Lapua cases have trimmed to 2.020" ):

6.5 PRC with IMR 4831 - 147 ELD.jpg

I'm not sure what I'm looking at there? but I do appreciate the info. I found this on the Hornaday site?
I could live with the 2950 for a start? at least till I figured things out. Sound OK?

KiUM5Dw.png

Last edited:
I'm not sure what I'm looking at there? but I do appreciate the info. I found this on the Hornaday site?
I could live with the 2950 for a start? at least till I figured things out. Sound OK?

KiUM5Dw.png

Hornady highlights 2950 in red because that is their tested max. IMR4831 is generally too fast for 147ELDM. You're welcome to start at 2950 but that is a max charge and likely unsafe. The QL data above says 2869fps is over 62kpsi. As I said above, 4831 is better suited to 130gr and lighter bullets.

In that case I'm guessing the RL26 & Retumbo are the better choices?

In that case I'm guessing the RL26 & Retumbo are the better choices?
I've been using Retumbo in my 6.5 PRC for everything from 140's to 153.5's and it has worked really well (includes 142 SMK's, and Hornady 153 A-Tips, but not 147's).

Well troops, against the odds, I managed to score some H1000 & Retumbo, anyone care to share some load data? Right now I have the Hornady 147, might be able to get some 143's next week? Cheers

Well troops, against the odds, I managed to score some H1000 & Retumbo, anyone care to share some load data? Right now I have the Hornady 147, might be able to get some 143's next week? Cheers
I would load 56.3gr Retumbo. But, here's some numbers for Retumbo you might find helpful:

6.5 PRC- Retumbo- Hornady 147.jpg

Just curious for the H1000 and Retumbo users? how do these #'s look? I pulled this from an internet review?

Attachments

• Screenshot (17).png
    Screenshot (17).png
    1.4 MB · Views: 49
  • Screenshot (18).png
    Screenshot (18).png
    2 MB · Views: 46